Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: An ideas on what to wear for my son's wedding  (Read 2646 times)

annieb

An ideas on what to wear for my son's wedding
« on: April 14, 2021, 03:59:22 PM »

At a total loss - I'm a jeans and jumper lady and only have one dress to my name.  Can't remember the last time I wore a skirt.  My son is getting married next year (HOPEFULLY - been Covid cancelled once already) and I've been trawling through various website for ideas.  All the mother of the bride/groom dresses are modelled by thin, elegant women, immaculately made up, styled hair and shoes with 4" heels.  This is just not me - I'm quite tall, size 12 at the top and size 14 at the bottom with a muffin roll around the middle.   I'd also like to wear flat shoes (I do have a pair that I've bought just before lockdown that I've never worn and are very pretty) .  Anyone got any suggestions of what to wear and best place  to  look for a wedding outfit - and has anyone ever had their make-up done by a professional.  (I do wear mascara , eye shadow etc not very good at getting the rest of it to look nice!!)

littleminnie

Re: An ideas on what to wear for my son's wedding
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »

Hi Annie.  Have a look on the Roman Originals website.  They have lots of dresses suitable for weddings.   If you go for a patterned dress it will hide a multitude of sins. Reasonably priced too.    You don’t have to wear heals, a nice pair of flats are perfectly acceptable. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 05:08:31 PM »

Take a look at Debenhams sale. You may find a nice dress there. Depending on what you want.
Wallis have some nice stuff too.
Or, if you want more expensive, try John Lewis.
Good luck with the hunting.

annieb

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »

Thank you so much.  hadn't thought of Roman originals but see that there are some lovely dresses on there.  had looked at John Lewis and again beautiful dresses there but a bit outside the budget.  Will check out Wallis.  So glad I thought to ask on here . It was starting to get me down  :)

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »

I feel your excitement but also your trepidation! After trying on so many outfits over many weeks for my middle son's wedding I found a fab dress on Kaleidoscope. Might be worth a look. Whatever you wear it's going to be a wonderful day.

Taz x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »

Oh yes, forgot about kaleidoscope. Some lovely clothes there.

Check out J.D WILLIAMS too.
Not sure if you can buy out right, or whether you need to open an account though. Still worth a look.
xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:20 PM »

Kaliediscope was my 1st thought.  I had their catalogue when they first joined the catalogue brigade, including everything ......... I saw an advert recently, I didn't know they were still in existence.

Go for separates to match the shoes?  Will you B a hat or fascinator?  What time of year, where and what will the venu be: all needs to be take in2 consideration.  Evening - one will need a warm shrug. You could even change for the evening into a warm trouser suit ;-)

daska86

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »

I went to a small independent shop for my mother of the bride outfit.I'm always in jeans and a polo shirt, or sweatshirt. I did wear a small heel but changed into ballerina flats at the reception. The shop we bought the wedding dress from was run by a family, and the mother was a make up lady, so I had a trial session at the salon, and she came to the house to do our makeup. I very rarely wear makeup,so asked for a more natural look and I felt a million dollars and it looked lovely, nothing over the top.I wish I could recreate it myself !!

annieb

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 11:16:26 AM »

Same here CKLD with Kaliedescope.  Found them again - as a aside they sell a brand called TOGETHER which I used to buy when I ws in my 20s  (a LONG tome ago)  in fact I still have a lovely top that I bought then which is so gorgeous I can't bring myself to give it away even though it's a bit snug now  ;D
daska86 you sound just like me - we have quite a few beauty salons in our village (it's gone up abit upmarket since we moved here 35 years ago !!)  so will look for recommendations locally and treat myself to a trial run for the face.
So lovely to have something to look forward to at last

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:55:27 AM »

I had an item - probably still have somewhere - that I couldn't throw away.  Like U it's a bit snug but 2 good to get rid of  ::)

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 01:32:56 PM »

Coast's sale can be good for special occasion stuff. coastfashion.com

If you decide to get your makeup done, make sure you have a free trial first. I remember booking one of these appts before before my wedding and the makeup artist was so bad the owner of the salon looked at me in disbelief and asked 'are you happy with this'?! Never did go back, haha.

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 11:39:31 AM »

My son got married in March a few years ago. I couldn’t find a suitable dress for love or money. Simply not wedding season. In the end, my DH found a Jaegar trouser suit. The only time I went clothes shopping with him as I was despairing. It looked good and felt comfortable, particularly as I too am a jeans/trouser lady. The was a small affair as I suspect your sons will have to be even if not by choice.