Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Panic at the thought of returning to work tomorrow..  (Read 1555 times)

mandss

Panic at the thought of returning to work tomorrow..
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:39:17 PM »

I am due back at work tomorrow after being on furlough since Christmas. I am really pleased to be going back, and enjoy my job and have some amazing friends their. However I have this silly notion that between now (lunchtime on sunday and tomorrow morning) I will be come unwell and not able to go in, thus making me look bad and unreliable.
 There is nothing wrong with me other than this feeling of panic, I woke a few times last night feeling hot and panicky. Today I am doing everything I can to calm my self down (taking calms, deep breathing, exercising and doing some hand reflexology). I am making myself feel ill for no reason. I am dreading going to bed tonight as it all seems worse when its dark. Any suggestions peeps............??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Panic at the thought of returning to work tomorrow..
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »

U are not making yourself ill!  This is a common reaction to a change of routine.  I'm like this when we even thing of booking a holiday !  and it passed my mind about 2 hours ago, how I will feel in the morning  ::)

U will probably feel fine in the morning, you've had too much time to think.  It's the flight/fight response: knowing that however, doesn't make it easier to deal with!

......... and breath.  Stay up later until you are really sleepy, watch rubbish on TV and criticise - keeps that brain busy ;-).  Set the alarm for 15 mins earlier so that you don't wake with a rush = anxiety surges.  Ask when you arrive at work "Any1 else feel like it's the 1st day back at school?" you'll probably be surprised ;-)

Iris67

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 05:29:18 PM »

I can completely relate to that particular anxiety and thought I was the only person who got it! When I was working very part time it seemed worse for some reason, and I often seemed to make it happen, although it was never anything serious.

Get busy and distract yourself would be my suggestion and if you watch TV make sure it's comedy. I also find the dark times the worst - when that happens I leave a really dim light on as a comfort.

Good luck and let us know how you go - you will be fine.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 06:50:54 PM »

I've had the landing light on at night since deeply depressed in the 1990s.  When going away I take a plug-in night light. 

How R U feeling now?

mandss

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »

Thanks ladies, I actually slept well, I might have overdosed on lavender!! I am now looking forward to going to work xxxx

Iris67

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 11:10:25 AM »

Fantastic mandss - good for you. I was going to suggest clary sage which is stronger than lavender but if it works save the CS for when you're more desperate (bit like first line antibiotics!)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 12:26:13 PM »

Anticipation anxiety is the pits  >:(  ::)