Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: It’s all a bit confusing  (Read 1531 times)

TW6975

• First Flush
It’s all a bit confusing
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »

Hi I’m nearly 42, and have been having peri symptoms for about a year. My fsh was done on day one of my period and was 10 so GP was reluctant to start hrt but agreed to trial it. Mum went through her menopause at 45.
I was prescribed evorel conti patches. I started the oestrogen only one on day 8 ( she said start straight away, but didn’t seem to know much). So do I do 2 weeks, then change to the other patch with progesterone, or should I do the other patch after maybe 10 days, so I’m more on track with my cycle? I still have regular periods but vary from a 25 day cycle to sometimes a 31 day. I get terrible pmt so want to get the best out of the progesterone! Also should I Expect regular periods still or will they stop?  :-\Thanks in advance

Itwillpass

Re: It’s all a bit confusing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 03:58:31 PM »

I think you mean Evorel Sequi as you are still having periods, you should put the first patch on, on the first day of your period. So Evorel 50 patches for two weeks, then Evorel Conti for two weeks. You’ll then get a bleed when you go back onto the 50 patch, I did still get a bleed but it’s not uncommon to not get a bleed at all hope that makes sense & good luck x
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:00:03 PM by Itwillpass »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:24:57 PM »

Hi TW6975. It is all a bit confusing I agree but you will find answers on here to help you.

Firstly, I think the FSH test is supposed to be taken on Day 3 of your cycle to get the correct reading. I agree with Itwillpass that you need to be on a sequential HRT as you are still having periods. Conti is prescribed for post-menopause women. You will need to be on sequi in order to protect your womb from endometrial cancer.  If you have a look at the patient info leaflet it should give you instructions as to when to put on the first patch and when to change them too. I believe that it is on the first day of your period as mentioned by Itwillpass. If you are having really irregular periods then it is ok to start at any time though.

Taz x

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »

Hi Taz, I'm interested that you say that if you are peri and take conti HRT you increase your risk of uterine cancer. I am not aware of this and I wonder how that squares with women who have the mirena coil which releases a continuous dose of progesterone? I am peri menopause and was prescribed conti regime as this is better for people with fibroids as it keeps the oestrogen more in balance. Admittedly  I am 54 so hopefully periods would stop soon anyway. I also thought conti was best for those with endometriosis. I always thought sequi was encouraged at an earlier age because maybe a conti regime could mask a possible pregnancy. Having said that I can't for the life of me remember where I read that! Can you enlighten me further please so I can check I too am on the right regime? Thank you.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »

Hi Gnatty. I always understood that the sequi HRT  protected the womb lining by giving a withdrawal bleed each month. I didn't mention though that if you are already on sequi so have no idea where in menopause you are then 53 is the age most GP's will prescribe conti HRT. I've never wondered about the mirena coil though providing continuous progesterone during peri years. I had a quick look at the menu at the top of the page  and it does state that this is ok https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/progestogens.php.

We need someone with a more scientific brain than me I fear!

Taz x  :)

TW6975

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 06:19:35 PM »

Thankyou for your replies. It is everol sequi I’m on, got mixed up! It did say to start within 5 days of day one of period but GP said it’s ok to start after that,so  I started it on day 9 of cycle. So I’m thinking of changing patch from everol 50 to the conti on day 14 so it aligns with my natural cycle. Would this work do you think? Then I’ll be back on track to go back to the 50 on day one again. Hope that makes sense?! It does in my head but I’m not very good at explaining it!