Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yet another symptom - Too old at 64 to start HRT???  (Read 3211 times)

menopausalalways

Yet another symptom - Too old at 64 to start HRT???
« on: March 07, 2021, 05:46:39 PM »

Yet another BLIMMIN awful symptom! I feel lightheaded (Brain Fog) and slightly dizzy along with feelings of dread symptoms - Completely brassed orf/And as I'm 64 I have heard that some GPs wont prescribe HRT as I'd be considered too old to try it??
Anyone over 64 and just starting HRT?
I am trying Femarelle and they make me feel O D D  :o
I'm thinking of buying some Progesterone Cream and Oestrogen cream from Biovea. I've bought myself some Wellsprings 20-1 cream and that hasn't turned up yet.......I'm beginning to think the Postal Service is just trying to prolong my AGONY :( ::)
I've now taken to saying to myself (sometimes OUT LOAD to my husbands amusement " THIS WILL Pass"  - the million dollar question is WHEN???

devonlass

Re: Yet another symptom - Too old at 64 to start HRT???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »

Hi i completely understand how you feel i have been feeling awful for years .I am nearly 62 and am now trying hrt for the second time first time around the progesterone capsules made me feel horrible but for the last four weeks i have been using a combined patch i am sleeping much better but am having a few side effect but i am going to persevere for at least 3  months. My doctor was great and reassured me and like she said its about your quality of life . I would have a chat with your doctor and hope you feel better soon xx

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:57:08 PM »

Are you in the UK? You can ask for a referral to a menopause clinic who may well prescribe it if your gp won't. There's no age limit and I'm fairly sure there are people on this site who have been over 60 when they started. I was 57 but still peri. I would strongly advise you to do it with medical supervision rather than buying on the internet

silverstar

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »

I am 61 and just started on estrogel. My GP says 5 years only, but I will fight it when the time comes or go privately.

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 02:20:31 PM »

Dizzinness and anxiety are two of my symptoms but I would say, they are mild to moderate.  I am not on HRT because I'm scared that, after a while, my GP will refuse to prescribe it and I sometimes wonder if there is some kind of age discrimination along the line on the NHS that they don't want to prescribe it to the over-60s.  I cannot afford to go privately.  In my opinion, these companies make money out of misery because the type of HRT on the NHS is limited.

menopausalalways

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 01:22:55 PM »

Dont give up!!! Apparently there are ladies aged 74 who have been given HRT (Look on Gransnet) I'm going to have a go and save up to go privately, some of these symptoms are the absolute pits and why should we put up with 'em if there is a solution???

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »

Hi, I went on HRT at age 63 after putting up with awful hot flushes for 10 years. My GP wouldn't give it to me but happily referred me to my local Menopause Clinic at BMI The Beaumont hospital and the Dr there put me on it straight away, sent a letter to my GP and they put it on repeat prescription, so no charge. I tried loads of Menopause supplements over the years but nothing worked. I read somewhere that only oestrogen will get rid of the flushes!!

I have tried the Estrogel but changed recently to Estradot 50 patch (same as 2 pumps of gel) as found it more convenient. I am also on a continuous regime of Utrogestan 100mg orally every day and so far have never had a bleed. I use 1 pump of Tostran gel every other day and am 2 months this regime. Dr said to keep at it for at least 6 months.

I have tried the new release FemSeven conti which would have been even better as totally transdermal, but they caused skin irritation/inflammation to the point where I can't use them and the red marks are still on my thigh after 6 weeks!

Hope you get sorted and find someone to help you. xx

menopausalalways

Which one to choose
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 04:15:27 PM »

Hello and Help
I've had a word with the Nurse about HRT and she has given me a list of some of the ones available that they can prescribe. She said the best thing was to "speak" to others in the same age group and see what they recommended. This is the list they can prescribe:
Estradot/Utrogestan - Continuous HRT
Estriol 0.01%
Ovestin 1mg
Everol Conti Patches
and a couple of others..............
Anyone used any of the above???

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 04:53:16 PM »

It isn't an age related thing. We're all different, what suits one person may not suit another and unfortunately you don't know which will suit you until you try. Transdermal is safer than oral. Gel is more faff as it has to be applied daily but it's easy to alter the dose, patches may not stick well. Take your pick.

menopausalalways

Whats a transdermal patch?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 05:04:02 PM »

Whats a transdermal ??

Postmeno3

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 05:32:37 PM »

Through the skin, less chance of clots. I'm about to embark on this whole process, hopefully and my thinking is to keep it all as simple as possible. Perhaps address the main issue first and others may benefit accordingly. I dislike creams, gels and "gunk" in general, so if I can avoid that route, I shall. It concerns me how accurate these methods must be and might incur a fair bit of refining and experimentation....as far as possible to be avoided for me, personally. Time will tell!

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 06:09:50 PM »

I found it hard to believe when I started on this journey. I expected levels tested then given the dose I needed. There are very few medical interventions other than hrt that take the suck it and see approach.

candicet

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »

Hiya

Just throwing into the mix there that i listened to a podcast the other day of Sam Baker interviewing Emma Freud.
Emma Freud's mother was on hrt until her late 80s. She's still alive - not sure why she came off of it, but she's as right as rain from what i heard.
Emma Freud is still on it.

Link to podcast is below - I highly recommend it. x

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Uz4Er08HCgWWZKmvINFRC

menopausalalways

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 12:41:35 PM »

Just listened to Emma Freud Podcast - Brilliant! Thanks for the update :O) ;)

candicet

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »

Ah, very happy to hear that. Virtual hug from a virtual stranger x
Pages: [1] 2