Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Raw diet for dogs vs kibble  (Read 10914 times)

C.C.

Re: Raw diet for dogs vs kibble
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »

Holy  :meauh: !  You guys are all over the place!  Thanks for the feedback.  :) 

I fed Penny small amounts of raw veggies and fruit and she loved that. I gave her a raw egg once in a while, for extra protein.

Yesterday I met up with my friend who is fostering again from that same breeder and the puppy is the absolute sweetest little guy. Anyway, she told me about how precise his feeding has to be, at the same time every day.  Everything has to be measured out exactly to the ounce.  She gets the food from the breeder and everything has to be frozen. She has a supply for a month and she is struggling to find enough freezer space. This dog gets pork, beef, turkey, mussels, oysters, turkey necks etc.  She gives him a few treats once in a while even though she's not supposed to.  He will eventually be shown in the ring and if his health clearances are good he will probably be a stud dog.
My dd will talk to our vet on Tuesday when she is at the clinic for her placement and ask him about his views on a raw diet.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:17:07 PM by C.C. »

sheila99

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »

Once the breeder has sold it he can't dictate how the new owner looks after it, it's up to the new owner to do whatever he thinks is in the dog's best interest. Absolutely he should be sure it will go to a good home but if he wants to micro manage it would be better not to sell. As far as I'm aware there's no scientific consensus that raw is intrinsically better.
  Fostering is different as it still belongs to him.

C.C.

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »

I agree with you. The raw diet is part of his contract when you get one of his pups.  He supplies the food so he will know if you are not feeding the food he insists upon.  My dd was told in vet tech school to beware of breeders like that.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 02:54:25 PM »

NEVER PORK!   Nor shellfish!!! 

What's he trying to do, poison his stock 'cos at the end of the day, that's what it appears 2B: money making with control.  I wouldn't touch his pups with a barge pole ........ not because I wouldn't love one but I couldn't put up with such domineering behaviour.

Let us know what you DD is told, though do be aware that the Vet mayB tied into a Commercial Pet Food Contract ;-).  Not that I would particularly listen to what he/she might suggest, as there are pros and cons to any diet and convenience is probably what people need.

C.C.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »

I don't think our vet is tied to a contract.  When we had Penny he didn't recommend any particular brand of kibble, he just wanted to know she was getting what she needed.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 03:03:03 PM »

What we think they need and what they will help themselves too however, might not be 1 and the same  ;D

C.C.

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »

That is so true  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 04:35:29 PM »

The night I went to collect my cocker, aged 7 months, she nicked a sandwich off a plate that the owner had left whilst opening the door to us  ;D.  No remorse.  Ever.  Her attitude was 'you left it .......... '  :D

It was the cow's placenta that ......... oh, I've probably said that already  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2021, 05:07:01 PM »

Cooked bones are more harmful to dogs.
Raw chicken bones are soft and pliable, so no problem.
You should never give dogs cooked bones.
And never pork, there’s something in pork that their stomachs can’t digest, plus the germs in pork.
With fruit, there’s some fruit dogs can’t have, like grapes, poison to dogs. And apple pips, they contain cyanide....

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:44:09 PM by jillydoll »

jaypo

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »

Raisins as well,was watching the Yorkshire vet & this dog had eaten a packet of them and the vet had to make it vomit,funny how they can't stomach what you would think are innocent foods

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »

grapes
raisins - same thing but dried
cooked chicken
pork - due to worm which can be passed even if the meat is cooked  :o

Mine loved bananas and would pick raspberries from the canes ........ cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, tinned sweetcorn all went down without argument; as did jam donuts  ;D

C.C.

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2021, 06:07:42 PM »

Same here, mine loved bananas.  If you were peeling one in the kitchen, she could hear it all the way from the front of the house and she would come running.  She also loved carrots, broccoli (just a bit..gave her gas lol), apples (peeled),  watermelon, but no citrus like oranges or tangerines,  too acidic and she would spit it out.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »

A friend's boxer would drool for oranges  :-X  :sick02:  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2021, 06:47:38 PM »

Some one I know, gives their dog our chocolate, in particular Mars bars.  ::)
I’ve told them they shouldn’t, all they say is, it hasn’t caused a problem yet! 😱🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

sheila99

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »

l know raisins and chocolate are poisonous but they aren't things I would expect to be poisonous. Rotting placenta (I pick up the ones I can find so these have been buried) and now the pile of sugar beet in the yard for the sheep seem to be irresistible. Is it any pork or only raw? I hadn't heard that though of course humans can get tape worms from pork that hasn't been properly cooked so maybe dogs too.
CC I wonder if he just wants a captive market for his dog food. Would it be enforceable in Canada?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6