Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Accepting HRT isn’t working for me....  (Read 23063 times)

sed

Re: Accepting HRT isn’t working for me....
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »

Thank you all for your responses - I have slowly reduced.  I presently take multivitamins, fish oil, vitamin D and magnesium tablets and gel for night time.  Very nervous about the transition and what to expect but figure I am not getting benefit from HRT.  I am not sure about soy but will research if recommended.

mariawd

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 08:14:09 AM »

Hi Sed, what is the gel you take at night?

sed

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »

I rub Holland & Barrett Magnesium gel onto my legs and it helps with irritable legs/restless legs and aids sleep too.

mariawd

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 10:55:43 AM »

Ah yes...I use their Magnesium spray.

sed

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 02:09:19 PM »

I know it is still early days for me but I hope this gets easier...I don’t feel worse off HRT.  Started the supplements suggested - for the ladies in here that came off how long did it take you to level out?

Deeble

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 10:49:25 AM »

Hi sed
I think it took 4 or 5 weeks to feel I was beginning to level out/settle and by 8 weeks I felt my energy and positivity were up - and improved energy has been the most noticeable thing for me once I stopped conti hrt.
My morning 'jitteriness' that started again when I stopped the hrt has now as good as gone again.
Nerves/mood still a bit easily impacted and I don't do so well if I get tired, but now 10 weeks off hrt I feel the early discomforts were worth it and I'm levelling out all the time.
Good luck with it. Xx

Deeble

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »

Hi - I'm about 11 weeks off hrt and in my last post said I was levelling out all the time. Well, just to clarify it's not exactly levelling off! There are days when I suddenly think oh I feel normal which is very nice, days where I have to push through a bit (get easily anxious/upset); and the days (occasional only) when I feel a bit overwhelmed and vulnerable and anxious/tearful.
So, although levelling out generally over time, there are highs and lows along the way.
I do seem to be extra sensitive and tiredness/hunger/everyday stresses impact more than they should.
Vagifem, or the new generic is doing the job and am sleeping very deeply. It's the emotional side that takes a bit of management.
Just didn't want to give the impression  it was plain sailing when it's a bit variable although generally 'on the up'. Worst times as usual first thing in the morning (cortisol?).
So, progress without hrt is good generally. Still taking the vit D but not taking calcium/mag/zinc powder every day (2/3 times per week). Ground flax on breakfast cereal (omega 3).
Onwards and upwards. Good luck to everyone trialling off hrt. X

sed

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »

Hi - I'm about 11 weeks off hrt and in my last post said I was levelling out all the time. Well, just to clarify it's not exactly levelling off! There are days when I suddenly think oh I feel normal which is very nice, days where I have to push through a bit (get easily anxious/upset); and the days (occasional only) when I feel a bit overwhelmed and vulnerable and anxious/tearful.
So, although levelling out generally over time, there are highs and lows along the way.
I do seem to be extra sensitive and tiredness/hunger/everyday stresses impact more than they should.
Vagifem, or the new generic is doing the job and am sleeping very deeply. It's the emotional side that takes a bit of management.
Just didn't want to give the impression  it was plain sailing when it's a bit variable although generally 'on the up'. Worst times as usual first thing in the morning (cortisol?).
So, progress without hrt is good generally. Still taking the vit D but not taking calcium/mag/zinc powder every day (2/3 times per week). Ground flax on breakfast cereal (omega 3).
Onwards and upwards. Good luck to everyone trialling off hrt. X

Thanks for the update.  I am only 2 weeks off and have had some highs and lows.  My main problem is sleep since coming off which exacerbates my other symptoms when I am tired.  Looking for a supplement/help to assist with that.  Still feel better off than on HRT so far - will see how things go.

Deeble

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 10:02:18 AM »

Hi Sed
The first few weeks were poor for sleep with me too but that improved.
The reason I only take the calcium/mag/zinc powder a few times a week is because it knocks me out. I can only take it at night before bed. If I thought I'd have trouble sleeping I would definitely take it before bed. Maybe it might help you to sleep?
A few years ago when having trouble sleeping I used to have a valerian tea at night (Dr Stuart's?). It was like knock-out drops for me at the time. It doesn't taste great, but I grew to almost like it!

CherrySG

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »

Hi, I've just stopped hrt 3 weeks ago.

I was using it for VA as the local treatments did not seem to be enough. I was on it for a year, first Utrogestan and gel, then Provera and gel, then Evorel

I could simply never settle on any combination, and the side effects were difficult to manage. Very tired on it, and the constipation, omg. I never knew it was even possible to have it to that degree.

I was also emotionally unstable on the patch/Provera combo and managed to have a breakdown last summer.

I seem to be managing better without, and the mood and energy levels are better
Some VA but I seem to be managing so far.

I am taking citalopram which helps with the VA as well as mood. I took ADs with the hrt but they didn't seem to work together.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:04:50 AM by CherrySG »

sed

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »

Hi ladies, just need to tap my feelings out here. It’s been a tough few days but have got through because I have no choice.  I have a family and I have to work. All these years I have taken sleep for granted.  Now all I want is a good nights natural sleep - my eyes spring open at 3am everyday.  When I do sleep through I seem to handle my daily symptoms better which are mainly muscle aches and sometimes dry eye socket which brings on headaches, tension.  I don’t experience any flushes.  I have read that women can do this HRT free, I mean what choice have I got as I have tried it.  I do worry that this is going to be life now and am scared my feelings will turn to depression.  My mood is up when I sleep and my symptoms aren’t bothersome.  I am 2 weeks in no HRT - I really don’t know what to do!

CherrySG

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 07:34:14 AM »

Sorry you aren't sleeping well, Sed. I've had phases of insomnia and it's just awful.

Maybe some drops for the dry eyes? And/or Sleepeaze (they're based on antihistamines), Kalms tablets (valerian) and a bit of melatonin (get the liquid kind as the tablets aren't much use).

You'd want to take them in rotation as otherwise the body gets used to them. I did this sort of thing for years before going on citalopram.

Just putting a few ideas out there, although I know advice can be annoying especially if you've already tried all the suggestions   ???

tammiegurl

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2021, 06:51:14 AM »

I feel for you. I have had side affects and tried 3 different types now the third afte 2 tablets I'm finding old symptoms coming back so I think (lol) I.decided to try natural. I did go out this morning and spend $83 on supplements so they are sitting there. I think hrt just isn't me either and my body telling me so. My plan is take no HRT tonight leave it 24hrs and then start the supplements. I wrestled with the whole idea of taking HRT and now I'm wrestling with coming off it lol

sed

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2021, 03:58:10 PM »

It’s nearly 3 weeks no HRT.  Today has been the worse - dizziness all day.  Checked my BP and all normal. I have experienced dizziness when on HRT but today it’s stayed with me all day....I am so overwhelmed today.  😞 I feel so stuck.... and lost ☹️ I have had manageable days, actually Thursday and Friday I felt 70% normal and then I have crashed yesterday and today.  What else can I do to help myself ? I have done CBT and a bit of acupuncture, I am trying to get back to walking as this slowed down when things were really hard.  I just don’t know. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:05:55 PM by sed »

Deeble

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 06:01:21 PM »

Hi sed
Hope your dizziness has resolved?
I have had a couple of nights poor sleep after saying my sleep had resolved! Woken by mild night sweats and going to try the calcium,magnesium and zinc powder tonight to see if it does the trick. Might be worth trying if you're not already.
I know coffee affects my sleep - just wondering if chocolate would too ... have eaten a fair bit of that!
I hope you've had some sleep over the weekend  and not feeling so overwhelmed. I do think things settle down more and more over time. I'm 12 weeks off hrt now. I have had some days were I felt fine, had more energy and forgot I had stopped hrt! Others I've not done so well - glum, achey, tired. Overall I like to think I'm getting more good days, but not getting your sleep must be very hard.
I think it was 5 weeks or so before I really noticed episodes of feeling better.
Good luck with it and best wishes. X
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6