Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Black cohash  (Read 3409 times)

Carol Reed

• First Flush
Black cohash
« on: August 19, 2021, 08:14:11 AM »

Anyone had success with black cohash

donnalou

• First Flush
Re: Black cohash
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »

Hi, I've been taking it alongside Starflower oil for roughly 1.5/ 2 years now. I'm peri. I started it hoping it would help my thinning hair, vaginal dryness and libido/moods.
While I found it has helped somewhat, more so initially, with everything other than the hair thickness and growth. I am finding myself feeling the worsening of my symptoms recently.
I don't get hot flushes nor sweats so can't comment if it's helpful for those things.
I feel it potentially does have a strong effect on hormone balancing (but I take 2 so could be the black cohosh alone or the combination) as when I stopped both a while back it stopped my period and I still have a regular cycle . After 6 weeks of it missing I restarted both supplements and 6 days later my period turned up.
I feel it was because of the supplements but could have been coincidence. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Black cohash
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 03:13:18 PM »

Alternatives shouldn't be taken for more than a few months at a time, then take a break.  St Johns Wort should never be taken if 1 is on anti-depressant medication. 

They are unlikely to help bladder or vaginal issues which is due to a drop in oestrogen levels.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads, make notes ;-).  Some find that Black cohash etc help until their own hormones begin to wax and wane when benefit may be lost.

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary, to chart progress?  Let us know how you get on.