Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: melatonin  (Read 2043 times)

Dandelion

melatonin
« on: February 25, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »

I thought I come on here to ask a couple of questions.

Despite taking oestrogel and 200mg utro I get on average 4 hours of sleep a night, I fall asleep ok but wake too early.

I hear that melatonin should not be taken with HRT, why?

I hear it is banned in the UK, why is that?

thanks

Shannonplussed

Re: melatonin
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 10:47:03 PM »

Wow! I’m curious to hear more about this. I’ve never heard this caution before. I take melatonin for shift work, every few weeks. It’s easily available for sale in Canada and my bottle doesn’t have any warning like that, although it says in fine print (among other conditions) to consult a physician if you have a hormonal disorder, and not to use while pregnant or breastfeeding.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »

I hadn't heard that either. You can buy it online from American sites. There are other threads on this if you put it in the search box. I looked into it but didn't get any as the oestrogen cured my insomnia.

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 04:55:19 PM »

Wow! I’m curious to hear more about this. I’ve never heard this caution before. I take melatonin for shift work, every few weeks. It’s easily available for sale in Canada and my bottle doesn’t have any warning like that, although it says in fine print (among other conditions) to consult a physician if you have a hormonal disorder, and not to use while pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you are on hrt for menopause symptoms then that could be hormone disorder.

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:57:06 PM »

I hadn't heard that either. You can buy it online from American sites. There are other threads on this if you put it in the search box. I looked into it but didn't get any as the oestrogen cured my insomnia.
I bleed if I take 75mcg and sweat if I take 50 and still sometimes bleed but not bleeding now.

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 04:58:26 PM »

Melatonin opposes oestrogen.
I tried it regardless but it made me so freaking depressed.
Mine was lowst dose prescription.
Oh no. so does progesterone.
I'm very depressed as it is so I guess I will have to put up with 4hrs sleep.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 05:44:46 PM »

If you take 75 does that stop the insomnia? As you have flushes on 50 that dose is too low for you though it may be the best compromise. It took 3 months for my insomnia to go.

bev lloyd

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 06:59:59 AM »

I took melatonin last night-gave me nightmare!!
My HRT is totally messed up at mo, and trying to find out why. Glad of info re melatonin, I have enough issues as it is with E level at 2,400!
I have decided that P seems to trigger hot flashes at night and sweats..but nothing is working at present, had the worst night sweat ever this week soaked-on 4 pumps gel. Melatonin is at least knocking me out for 6 hrs. I have been taking anti histamine, but bet that has bad side effects too. I just want to stay asleep!! woke at 3am twice last week, then had to go to work. gonna try 3 pumps, see if that helps.

Lyncola

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »

Hi Avalon,
I know you are a local Aussie like me. Do you know that Melatonin in Australia doesn’t actually have any melatonin in it.

When I first went into menopause I had a month where I just couldn’t sleep and was using Melatonin. Didn’t work, and I found from internet research that in Australia, melatonin is illegal. You can purchase from America but apparently it’s illegal, so I never try. Why it is illegal I have no idea and why they can sell medicine called melatonin that does not contain melatonin is beyond me.

I did try rescue remedy sleep, but it was terrible put me to sleep within 5 minutes, but I would only sleep for 20 minutes with terrible nightmares.

Sorry I’m not any help but I thought I would let you know what I found out about melatonin.
And is this summer ever going to end, I can’t wait for winter

Cookie25

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:24:36 PM »

Hi

I have found Ashwagandha really helpful for sleep after being recommended from other ladies on here. Please do your own research though to see if it's suitable for you.

I have a friend who uses Valerian successfully for shift work so that could be another option too.
Xxxxx