Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Root canal / tooth pain update  (Read 1584 times)

shrosphirelass

Root canal / tooth pain update
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:33:34 AM »

I had my cone beam CT scan on Tuesday and luckily was given a disc so I could take it striaght to the dentist. So yesterday I had my dentist apointment. He told me I had a problem with the tooth next to the root canalled one. He showed me a picture of a very angry looking thing which I guess was infection. Additionally, there is a 4th root on the root canalled tooth that has been missed. He opened up both teeth to check to see if there were any fractures and to insert what he described as like domestos(!) and antibiotic before doing temporary fillings.
I now need a root canal and the 4th root doing, so two root canals in effect.

I'm feeling pretty awful today I didn't sleep as I felt very uncomfortable. I have a pounding headache and my face and mouth feels like it has been hit very hard with a baseball bat! I was completely swollen up when I got home, though this has subsided today. Interestingly and I hope it's a good sign I haven't got bad toothache. I can't get the taste of bleach out of my mouth, makes a change from the usual foul (infection) taste!

Sparrow

Re: Root canal / tooth pain update
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 11:37:18 AM »

Sounds like good news, despite the discomfort.

Fingers crossed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 02:37:21 PM »

OH OUCH! tnx for the update  :foryou:

A bag of frozen peas to reduce swelling though then can induce pain.  Can you use a mouthwash to get rid of the 'domestos' or is there too much swelling?  A stick of chewing gum to suck?

:hug:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:57:37 PM »

Any improvement?

suzysunday

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »

Poor you.sounds awful.  I have been having tooth problems recently and root canal was mentioned if it got worse.  My partner had it a few years ago and it was not pleasant.  I hope you recover soon x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 04:04:49 PM »

After two days of relief the pain ramped up, getting worse each day I was getting so desperate I was consideriung having taken out. Anyway they fitted me in today and he cleared it out again and put something to calm it down (steroid?) It's hurting quite a lot, and he said it may take until the weekend to settle. He says he can't do the root canal for a few weeks as the inflammation needs to go down.

Suzysunday, I have had root canals before and they have just felt like more extended fillings, so try not to worry. Ive just been unlucky this time. I had a tooth out a couple of years ago and got dry socket which was also agonizing, so I just think I don't heal that well anymore! What I would say is if you possibily can, go somewhere where they have a microscope as it means they can see the roots clearly and that makes the proceedure easier to do.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 04:14:33 PM »

Poor you!   :foryou:

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 04:31:42 PM »

Thanks and hope things improve for you soon. Tooth problems are the worst.