Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Chronic cough - think might be menopause related, not sure how to treat  (Read 4273 times)

oldernotwiser

• First Flush

My first message in this forum.

I'm 52 and very much post-menopause. Over the last 2-3 years I have experienced an irritating cough over quite long durations (longest 10 months!). Often starts with what feels like a random "itch" in the airway, which makes nose run and eyes water, and makes me cough.

I've seen some other posts on here which talk about sinus/breathing/throat problems that come with menopause, and some mention remedies which my GP also tried with me during past episodes - antihistamine, steroid inhaler, antacids - but which didn't work. I've had an X-ray which showed things as normal.

Does anyone else get coughing episodes?

And does anyone have a view on whether it is ok to still work out (in my case outdoor running) during these episodes?

I've been trying to find out more on-line about whether running with a chronic cough will hinder or help. I'm at the point of saying "sod it - I'm going" as it's so good for my general well-being.

Thought I'd try the experts before approaching the GP again!  ;)

Thanks for any advice x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Chronic cough - think might be menopause related, not sure how to treat
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:05:04 PM »

Hi!  There is a cough related to reflux which is really annoying, 4 me it presents as an irritating clearing throat which "omepralole" eases.  I take a capsule at night but by mid-afternoon the clearing throat is back  >:(.

I also get a sudden 'tickle' in my throat/mouth, which causes instant coughing.  It's like something has scratched my throat.  Sometimes I can cough hard for ages  ::).  I have allergic rhinitis which doesn't help.  My tongue is often scratching the roof of my mouth so I puff Beconase regularly into my nostrils.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina, skin, scalp ......... as well as causing laxity of muscles = aches and pains. 

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.

oldernotwiser

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:18:37 AM »

Thank you CLKD! This is useful and I will keep hunting through past posts.

The itch/cough is such an irritation isn't it? Some menopause websites make no mention of it whatsoever - very hard to find anything so I'm glad I found this forum.

Anyone have any tips about the exercise piece?

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 07:39:36 AM »

Also consider wheat intolerance. Both my GS and DH suffered from long term coughs. My GS was even taken to see a paediatrician and was due for X-rays etc. I discussed the problem with the lady I see for IBS who immediately said wheat. My DD excluded wheat from his diet, initially for 2 weeks, but the coughing stopped. It comes back if he eats wheat. My DH’s cough improves when he excludes wheat, but not completely, but then I’m not convinced he’s gone fully wheat free yet! He had a chest X-ray, etc and was fine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 09:37:11 AM »

That's interesting Ju Ju ..........

Wragmop

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 08:17:52 AM »

I also experienced a reflux cough. ‘Silent reflux’ the dr. called it - only other symptom was a heavy feeling in the chest. Tried omaprazole and had a scan which showed mild acid damage. In the end it kind of eased off on its own. Like you though, it lasted many months.

oldernotwiser

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 08:20:04 AM »

Thank you Ju Ju and Wragmop.

Wheat intolerance is something I had not thought of - will definitely look into this.

Really appreciate the feedback :-)

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 02:50:07 PM »

With lists of ingredients a legal requirement along with common allergens is shown in bold font on food products, it is easier to eliminate wheat from your diet. Don’t forget beer contains wheat, unless it’s gluten free. When I became wheat intolerant in the 90s, I had to learn all the different terms referring to wheat. It was difficult. I think if you avoid wheat for up to 2 weeks, you should see an improvement if wheat is the problem. Both DH and my GS saw an improvement with just reducing wheat intake, before excluding completely. DH was skeptical initially, but his cough is much better. I suspect there is some other intolerance going on too. With my GS, his cough stays away , but comes back if he has any wheat. For him cut and dried.

corianne

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 10:38:57 AM »

I know this is an older post now, but just wondering if anyone had found out the cause (and hopefully cure!) for this?
I have been suffering exactly the same thing for the past year, a tickle in the throat which turns into a cough with runny nose and watery eyes - very perplexing!  :-\
I do suffer from reflux and seasonal allergies which seems to be a bit of a theme in this thread, so thinking they could be the cause? The menopause strikes again with yet another unwanted 'symptom'  ::)