Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Betablockers and palpitations  (Read 2082 times)

holidaylover

Betablockers and palpitations
« on: December 10, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »

I've been suffering horrendously with palpitations (I've posted previously) and have been prescribed Bisprolal.  I only started them this week, took two and don't really know if there was much of a difference really.  Two questions for anyone who has taken betablockers for palps, are, should they work right away or is it a gradual thing, and secondly, I had a few glasses of wine last night and I was up all night with the most frightening palpitations I've had.  Could this be a reaction with the betablockers or not?  It doesn't say on the leaflet that came with the tablets that I should avoid alcohol.  My anxiety is off the scale with the worry they are causing.  I'm also taking a PPI as I have ulcer/acid type pain and thought it may all be connected but when I asked the doctor if it could possibly be a hiatus hernia, he immediately said no, a hiatus hernia would not cause palpitations.  I have noticed that my palpitations are most usually after a weekend so there may be a connection to bigger meals I am eating or the wine I am drinking.  Any ideas? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Betablockers and palpitations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 02:51:44 PM »

Wine could be the reason for the palpitations regardless if you take any medication/not.

Many find that at peri wine goes out the window.  R U taking 'bisprolal' every night/monring?  I had to take mine daily to build up a calming effect.

Have you been prescribed with an ulcer?  Dismissing hiatus hernia is wrong even if the Dr doesn't think that it will cause palpitations.  Have you been seen by an appropriate consultant as HH is common in perimenopause due to muscles relaxing. 

Anxiety may also cause palpitations.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 08:41:48 PM »

I am a long time user of betablockers( Atenolol) for palpitations, thanks to congenital heart defect! For me they stop them within about 40 minutes.

JoannFran

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:22:09 AM »

Hi holidaylover

How are you getting on with the beta blockers? Are you still taking them?

I’m on Bisoprolol 1.25mg for palps and high heart rate and SVT. I found that they lowered heart rate straight away but took a while to build up and work for palpitations. I’m getting them back again now after being on them for 2 months so think my body is used to the dose. It’s the minimum dosage but I’ve been told to wean off them at the end of Feb so I don’t want to increase.

I can’t drink any alcohol at all now. Either on or off beta blockers. Racing heart all night, it’s awful. I didn’t drink a lot anyway but I really miss my weekend glass of red wine 🍷

I know this post was a while ago but just interested to see how you’re getting on with the beta blockers and if they’ve helped you? Xx

holidaylover

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 12:07:58 PM »

Hi JoannFran,
I'm still taking the betablockers, Bisoprolol 1.25mg like you.  I'm not really noticing much difference to be honest.  Horrid palpitations on waking this morning!  Some days, admittedly are worse than others so don't know if they may be worse if I were to come off them.  I still have them on a daily basis.  My Doctor has been a bit vague to be honest.  I've had several ECG's which were fine, and had a 24 heart monitor last July.  I recently had a chest Xray which was fine and a blood test which confirmed I didn't have heart failure!!! (Phew).  I am still waiting for the results for the heart monitor believe it or not, although it has been chased up frequently.  But I don't really know where to go next, I'm waiting for an appointment for an endoscopy because I've been having heartburn/acid issues too and wondered if they were connected to the palpitations.  My doctor said no, but I saw another doctor in the practice and he said he would send me for an endoscopy just to check.  After that he said he could check bloods for lack of magnesium, and if I wanted he was happy for me to try HRT.  I mentioned MM to him and how other ladies seemed to have a lot of the same symptoms, and he confirmed that this is indeed a very good website!  It's just all so worrying, exhausting and has sent my anxiety (and now health anxiety) through the roof.  Thinking about the wine, I did have a couple of glasses last night so that is certainly not helping.  Hope you are feeling better x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 12:15:28 PM »

Alcohol is a depressant.  It can cause heartburn. 

MayB you need more betablocka? 

JoannFran

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 03:36:55 PM »

holidaylover, there's a cardiologist on you tube (york cardiology) he talks about the stomach and palpitation connection.  He has some interesting videos about different types of palpitations and a lot of them have been reassuring to me.  Might be worth a look?

Do you take magnesium?  The Gylcinate is meant to be the one good for palps.  300mg.

Hope you get the endo appointment soon.  I've got a hiatus hernia and I've noticed if it's playing up then my HR is definitely higher!

Hugs xxx

holidaylover

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 03:57:21 PM »

JoannFran,
No not taking magnesium at the moment.  If you dont mind me asking what is the brand you use?  Do you think they are ok to take whilst taking the betablocker?
H x

JoannFran

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 08:05:39 PM »

I take them with the beta blocker (Bisoprolol).  No problems.    I take Epsilon Life from Amazon.  Make sure its gylcinate.  3 tablets which is 300mg.  I take them with my evening meal.

xxxxxx

holidaylover

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 01:29:29 PM »

Thanks JoannFran, going to order some now.