Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: SPF required?  (Read 10748 times)

Padine

SPF required?
« on: January 24, 2021, 06:36:48 PM »

Grrrrrrrr!!! I am not a vain person and hopefully, I'm just an ordinary-looking (young  :cheer: ish!!) 61 yr old. Looking for a new moisturiser (I actually managed to get to the bottom of the Olay whip jar yesterday, now onto my toilet bag's tiny-travel tube of cheap face cream). I don't want to spend loads of dosh on luxury brands, as lovely as they are, and fancy going back to Ponds or Beauty Naturals (Martha Hill brand I use off+on for shampoo and household "green" items) Only thing is they don't have SPF. Now if I continue to use an eye cream, do you think SPF is necessary?
I have faithfully used SPF Olay, Superdrug, No 7 and nothing has screamed out at me "Buy me again ordinary but lovely looking young pensioner  :boobs: :whist:
             I'm definitely coming back as a man in the next life - how difficult is it to shave every day, accept a clean house, and have clean clothes and most meals cooked for you? AND watch endless hours of football with no interruption while the wife goes internet shopping and not spend a small fortune?? I must be daft  :drunk:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: SPF required?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:59:44 PM »

;D

I use Nivea in the week and from mid-February trying to remember to apply sun screen, usually Nivea.  Grandma used Ponds face and hand cream, she had soft skin until the day she died.  Her generation didn't use much on their skin other than warm water with soap. 

Padine

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:45:12 PM »

Thanks CLKD, my mum (in law) was a smoker but unlike lots of smokers, she wasn’t too wrinkly. She used Oil of Ulay once a day until she was 85, and there was no spf then. I think that I read recently that an effective spf has to be 50 or more, and any moisturiser alone has some protection without the additives in the spf . I do sound vain now so best be quiet  >:( >:(

befuddled

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »

I like the superdrug Vitamin E Intensive Moisturiser or the Night Cream, first used them because they had really good reviews and compared well to some of the much more expensive brands.

Is this bit compulsory  - "AND watch endless hours of football"?  cos i'm definitely not coming back as a man if it is.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:21:14 AM »

What's football when it's up and dressed  ;D unless it's American's in large padded baby grows ...........  :whist:

Grannies wore hats!  My paternal one had a hat, gloves and bag for going out in the morning and another set for afternoons  ::) No wonder she had to get up at 5.00 a.m.  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 02:36:27 PM »

I prefer spf only when it's needed. At this time of year we need more sunlight than we're getting. You may need additional vit d if your skin is never exposed to the sun.

Padine

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »

Thanks for all replies. Maybe a huge generalisation to come back as a man 👨 I’m more short tempered just now than usual and need to chill out (preferably in a darkened room all on my own 😊😉🙂 )
 I eventually went for an uncomplicated, cheap and so far, suiting my skin range. -   Ponds cold cream (use a cotton square to remove it) then Ponds Triple moisturiser day and night cream. I feel there’s more to be worried about just now than being selfishly moaning about my skin.
My darling little grandson is 10 weeks old and waiting for an op to repair his cleft lip (I’m guessing the palate and gum ops will happen when he’s older?)  The  appointment should come through very soon and the whole family is more important than a pot of anti-wrinkle cream.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 05:06:03 PM »

Oh a new baby!  It will depend on how much repair work is required to the palate.  At his age he won't remember much - I believe that some allowance is made for growth over the years and how the teeth come through.  My nephew went to Frencha in Bristol years ago with a good result.  He had several surgeries until his teens.

Ponds is what Grandma used.  The same pot, morning and night.  Have you read the ingredients on your pots? It may be the same  ;) as is 'Colgate' toothpaste.  Regardless of the labels on the boxes it's the same in the tube.

Padine

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 11:33:04 PM »

He will have the best care as his mum+dad have met the surgeon and he has explained the whole process.

Ponds = Colgate  but makes for very costly toothpaste 😀 🤮 🥴 !!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 09:11:24 AM »

I didn't explain that well  ::) - I spent 40 mins in a store reading the boxes of 5 'different' Colgate products: despite the wording on the boxes the ingredients were the same!

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 02:18:41 PM »

My daughter was born with a cleft palette. They closed it up at 10 months and she hasn't looked back. Gums are a bit worse as they need ongoing treatment but clefts seem to be something the nhs excels at. Given how much can go wrong in foetal development I was thankful it wasn't anything worse. Hope it goes well, I'm sure it will.

Padine

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »

Thank you Sheila, that’s good to know. We were childminding once a week last year, but haven’t been near them since Christmas Day. We don’t want to take any risks with Covid but only a matter of weeks now for word of op.