Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Raging! Flucanazole refusal.  (Read 1582 times)

Postmeno3

Raging! Flucanazole refusal.
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »

I have just had the most humiliating experience in my local pharmacy on asking for the above. Having first been misinterpreted that I had oral thrush when I had asked for oral treatment for thrush, I then had to repeat myself increasingly more loudly because of the mask with two other people in the shop. I was bluntly asked how old I was and when I said, was told I was too old and had to get to the doctor instead. I am over 65, but, on getting home, could see that I could buy this very item from their online pharmacy. Oh, I'm fuming!!!!!!!
😡

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Raging! Flucanazole refusal.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »

Pharmacists have private rooms   >:(.  ........ surely dignity is important.  Still?  What's age got to do with it, mayB ring your surgery ?  I think we all need to make a list to hand over when we go to pharmacies or surgeries ?

What you going to do?

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »

Thanks. I'm hoping other folk will explain the age thing, but I'm guessing that if you're overloading yourself on the quiet it could be masking something else? I've ordered some online meantime, but dear knows when it will get here. About the same time taken as a swab going off to a lab before something can be prescribed I'm guessing. Hmmmm....yeah, a wee bit of privacy and respect would have gone a long way. Am guessing private rooms may not match social-distancing requirements in some instances. Onwards!

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 02:51:35 PM »

Hi,
Yes, I had the same experience at age over 60 in my chemist, who advised that they couldn't give Fluconazole to the over 60's as it was thought to be unlikely that women our age suffered from thrush!!!!! Ridiculous!!!

I did go to my GP who gave me a weeks course, as it was quite bad with a lumpy discharge (I got it after starting HRT at age 63).

I have however also got my 33 year old daughter to order me some online so I could have a supply in case it came back.

Who on earth decided we were too old to get it????? >:(

Uptick

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 03:31:17 PM »

Hi Postmeno3 and Julia Dizzy, maybe it's for the best. I have been prescribed Fluconazole for an alleged oral Candida infection and I thought I was going to die. Black (tarry) stools and fever. I suppose it has upset my gut microbiome and some nasty bacteria has thrived inside my guts. Would you be keen on trying local and oral probiotic treatment? That's what I'm doing and feeling much better. Candida is a tough bug, mostly because it's an eukaryotic organism just like us, meaning, each cell has a nucleus where the DNA is located. Oral anti-fungal medication have terrible side effects, unlike antibiotics which are more specific for bacteria (prokaryotic organism, no nucleus, DNA is in the cytoplasm). I still have the alleged oral infection, but what I am trying to do now is to boost my immune system so my body can fight it, after all everyone hosts Candida, it only thrives when there's either a microbiome imbalance or a poor immune response, or both.

milly

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 04:18:42 PM »

Over 60 cannot buy from a pharmacy, reason being that at that age it is unlikely to be thrush, so needs to be checked by a GP....see below.

I had exactly the same scenario during first lockdown, I had to ring my GP, who explained the pharmacist was right. He then sent a prescription to the same pharmacy for me.

He did say , however, that it could be bought from a supermarket shelf, but at a lower strength..(the cream, not a pessary)

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 04:25:53 PM »

Thanks, guys. It just doesn't make sense to me that a chronological age creates a barrier. Someone at 59 can, at 60 can't? I imagine women of all ages get thrush? Strikes me assumptions are being made!  ;D
I agree about probiotics and have asked for recommendations on another thread, but I thought antibiotics were harmful, too, breaking down resistance when you need them? They're pretty lethal in M.E.

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 05:32:32 PM »

To my knowledge you can buy Clotrimazole pessaries and cream off the shelf (these are sold in supermarkets as well pharmacies) but there is an age limit for Fluconazole, the oral antifungal. One may be able to buy the latter on line, but might have to be "creative" about one's age on the online pharmacy's questionnaire. Fluconazole can be hard on the liver, and also it cannot be taken alongside statins, which many over-60s might be taking.

JP x

Postmeno3

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »

Ah, well there's a point! Thanks. Maybe they could just check one's not on statins? Ready access to records etc. Good to know, though!
x

milly

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 06:29:52 PM »

My GP explained that at age of 60 or over it was more likely to be VA, than thrush, and it would be a missed diagnosis if a doctors opinion wasn’t sought.

I was allowed thrush medication on prescription as I had no previous issues, and had recently been on antibiotics for a dental problem

Tinkerbell

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 06:38:38 PM »

I have only ever had thrush whilst on antibiotics and every single time, such good news that i won't get it again if i need antibiotics in 3 years time!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 06:54:44 PM »

Who decides on an age limit!  I can't find out the legal definition of 'ageing'.   :-\. So over 50s holidays by Saga?  over 70s are more vulnerable to C-19  >:(

Symptoms surely? 

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »

Vote with your feet and use an online pharmacy, they're usually much cheaper than high street pharmacies anyway as they sell a generic version. From memory it's £2-3, much less than the prescription charge. Yes, it could be VA, nothing to stop you seeing your doctor if thrush treatment doesn't work.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 10:40:27 PM »

I think that the age restriction is for women who are not on HRT. Reading up on the reasons for the younger and upper age limits it is because 'thrush is rare in these age groups due to the lack of vaginal oestrogen'. I feel distinction should be made between women on HRT and not on HRT.

Taz x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 01:58:11 PM »

Ohhh Joanie Pat, my GP gave me a course of fluconazole for a persistent bout of thrush which got rid of it...but I am on 10mg Pravastatin too??? She never mentioned any contraindication??
Pages: [1] 2