Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Does it matter having periods on continuous regime?  (Read 673 times)

Gnatty

Does it matter having periods on continuous regime?
« on: January 22, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »

Hi, I started HRT last summer and because my periods were very heavy and coming closer together, three weekly, I was put on continuous regime to see if this would help. So I take 3 pumps of oestrogel and utrogestan 100mg vaginally every night. This has spread my periods apart nicely and made them quite a bit lighter. However they have not completely disappeared.

I have read that taking four pumps of oestrogel can sometimes suppress the cycle so might this be an option or could it be out of the frying pan into the fire?

Also - Newson clinic advised that if my period didn't get suppressed I should give in and go on sequi regime. But is this true do you think - if my periods are lighter and further apart wouldn't I be better sticking with this regime? Or is there a health risk of which I am not aware??

Taz2

Re: Does it matter having periods on continuous regime?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 01:04:36 PM »

I thought that conti HRT was only prescribed for women who have had at least a year since their last period?

Taz x

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 02:41:04 PM »

Mostly yes but I am 54 and I think that makes a difference in their prescribing parameters

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 11:35:53 PM »

I'm not sure doing anything purely because of your age is a good idea. Many doctors assume everyone is meno by 55 but I had no peri symptoms until I was 56. I haven't been on a conti regime but my own cycle is always stronger than the hrt one so I'm not surprised you still have your own cycle. I think you need a higher dose than 4 pumps to suppress your own cycle? I'm on 4 and it hasn't suppressed mine. The longer cycle you have now I think would have happened anyway. I also went through a phase of periods being closer together before they got longer, I don't think this is unusual. The utro may be making them lighter though. If there was a health risk I don't think the newson clinic recommend this regime. Did they suggest you have a scan in the future to check your lining is thin?

Shannonplussed

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 11:55:12 PM »

I started on the continuous regime by my own choice, when I was diagnosed with early menopause. I’m sensitive to ups and downs and wanted something consistent. Dr was happy to prescribe. With continuous, you can expect to have unpredictable bleeding for the first 6 months or so. I believe the current prescription guidelines don’t preclude you from having it even if you’re peri menopausal. (And really ttrying to time sequential along with unpredictable periods seems more difficult to me, but to each their own.)

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »

I  was thinking that 4 pumps on a continuous regime might suppress my cycle , I guess they wouldn't on a sequi regime because the progesterone withdrawal triggers a bleed. I guess a scan at some point would be helpful. I suppose I just want to know if I am ok to carry on as i am or should I revert to sequi. Would prefer to stay as I am really.