Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil - Dizziness, how long?  (Read 5558 times)

Saffypig

Mirena coil - Dizziness, how long?
« on: December 27, 2020, 02:30:07 PM »

Hi Ladies,

I had a mirena coil fitted 16 days ago, as I could not tolerate Utrogestan.  I've been using estrogel for about 9 months and that's been great.

I expected cramps and twinges, but for the last 48 hours, I've been very dizzy, when standing, trying to stop myself falling.  Has this been anyone else's experience, and if so how long did it last for?
TIA.

Peri-wrecked

Re: Mirena coil - Dizziness, how long?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »

Hello,
Bit sure I can offer much help. I had the mirena coil fitted on the 2nd of december and started patches a week later. I have been experiencing dizziness and fuzzy headed since on and off. I don't know which is causing what. I know that's no help but I am trying to give my body more time to adjust to it all.
I hope somebody more experienced will have some words of wisdom for you.
Hopefully it will settle for you soon

Uptick

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »

Hi Saffypig, dizziness is one of the most reported adverse effects of Mirena. Have you had your blood pressure measured recently? Low BP can also be a side effect of hormones and cause of dizziness. Keep us posted and good luck.

Saffypig

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 03:52:09 PM »

Hi Saffypig, dizziness is one of the most reported adverse effects of Mirena. Have you had your blood pressure measured recently? Low BP can also be a side effect of hormones and cause of dizziness. Keep us posted and good luck.

Hi Uptick,
I have a BP machine at home, and my BP is normal.
Any ideas on how long the dizziness could last for?
Utrogestan was awful for me, I really am hoping this will work out, but appreciate there will be bedding in. X

Uptick

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 04:11:05 PM »

I've read that it will usually go away about 30 minutes after insertion  ??? but that's not what I've heard from many women on the coil and of course reactions to hormones vary enormously.  If it doesn't stop in a couple of days you should talk to your GP, I would phone my surgery immediately because I can't stand dizziness, but that's my health anxiety and idiosyncrasies to drugs talking.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 04:32:09 PM by Uptick »

Beccascat

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »

Hi Saffypig, just wanted to let you know that I felt the dizziness etc a few weeks after having the mirena inserted & it did settle eventually.
I was very reticent about getting the Merina (used with evorel 50 patch - post meno) because of any adverse side effects, but truthfully, it took about 6 months & I can honestly say I’m feeling great. 
I would give things a little time, but obvs go back to your doc if you feel you’re not coping :)

Saffypig

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »

Hi Saffypig, just wanted to let you know that I felt the dizziness etc a few weeks after having the mirena inserted & it did settle eventually.
I was very reticent about getting the Merina (used with evorel 50 patch - post meno) because of any adverse side effects, but truthfully, it took about 6 months & I can honestly say I’m feeling great. 
I would give things a little time, but obvs go back to your doc if you feel you’re not coping :)

Thanks Beccascat, good to hear your experiences.  I've heard horror stories about Mirena, very nervous about having it.          But willing to give it some time, really hope it doesn't take 6 months. :(  But dizziness is less today, so I'll plod on.  x

sed

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »

Hi, has the dizziness stopped for you?  I am experiencing it 5 weeks in on and off - most days

racjen

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 07:04:34 PM »

I'm on Provera half the month, and one of the symptoms I get is slight dizziness/light-headedness. I think it is one of the acknowledged side-effects of progesterone in general - hopefully your system will adjust within a few days.