Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Palpitations..scared!  (Read 2065 times)

Avimac

• First Flush
Palpitations..scared!
« on: December 07, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »

Hello everyone.. I’m new here and I’m sure I’m going through the menopause.. sounds silly but doctor hasn’t mentioned it yet. I’m being treated for palpitations and anxiety although I have been bleeding heavily for 16 days now and feel awful. I’m 53 and live alone miles from anyone so that doesn’t help I know. I am on beta blockers which don’t do much really. I’m so glad I found this site and have been reading loads of posts which has made me feel less alone. I feel lightheaded, heart palpitations, anxious.. hair is thinning. Very heavy long periods..after having nothing for 2 months. Are these things normal.. I’m scared feeling this way .. sorry sounding pathetic .. thank you for reading this ...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:55:53 PM by Avimac »

jaypo

Re: Palpitations..scared!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:42:20 PM »

Awww don't worry my lovely all sounds pretty normal,anxiety heightens every symptom and the palpitations are par for the course,I've had them for years and sometimes they scare me but I've had numerous ecg's and all were ok.
Can you get a phone consultation with your dr? Sadly the majority of drs don't have a clue when it comes to meno and may misinform you,pop palpitations in the search box and you'll see how many women suffer from them.
Oh and welcome to the forum  :)

Avimac

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »

Aww thanks for your reply.. I see the Dr on Wednesday for results of all the tests! I’m going to say to him I’ve diagnosed myself.. are you on HRT ? I’ve always said I wouldn’t but now I’ve reached this stage I’m seriously thinking about it .. poor you having palpitations for years 😩

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 07:04:12 PM »

Hello Avimac  :welcomemm:  I second what Jaypo says - palpitations, anxiety, heavy bleeding & hair loss are really horrible but fairly common symptoms of the menopausal transition.  I also had palpitations for several years & they were probably the most frightening symptom for me.  Do put palpitations or irregular heart beat into the search box as Jaypo suggests as there have been many threads on this in the past & I hope the detail will help to reassure you.

I would just add that all of the above symptoms can also be associated with thyroid problems so I would ask your GP whether they think it reasonable to test your thyroid function, as well as looking at whether you could be anaemic.  Prolonged, heavy bleeding can sometimes lead to anaemia in menopause, in turn giving rise to palpitations.

I'm sure other ladies will be along soon to welcome you & offer advice & support.  If you live alone in a remote location this will naturally magnify feelings of isolation & worry we all have to some extent at this stage, so please keep posting - there will always be someone here to hold out a hand.
Wx

Avimac

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »

Thank you for your kind reply. I have been tested for thyroid and it’s all good.. I have just been reading posts on palpitations and wow! Yes so common.. sounds a bit off but I’m glad 😀.. next in  the search bar will be weight gain..I’ve put on so much weigh in 2 yrs yet haven’t been doing anything different..
why is all this news to me? Nobody tell you about all this stuff!!.. only things I used to hear about was when women had hot flushes and others would laugh and say ah it must be the menopause.. jeez! This forum is a godsend

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »

Some GPS however won't look into symptoms if thyroid blood tests are returned 'within normal limits'  :-\ so patients often have to push if they still feel ill!

Browse round.   :welcomemm:  some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.  Make notes ;-) and nope most of us think it's cessation of periods, a few hot flushes and sadly, GPs think that too.  In many cases. I've been lucky with my GP and if you find a good one, don't let on  ;D or there'll be a queue. 

silverstar

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »

I’ve had palpitations since my 30’s, sometimes quite frightening. I seem to get them after eating, usually food which bloats me like pasta and wheat. I have had tests, all normal. Been seeing a consultant for acid reflux, he said it can be normal to get them after eating, it’s because of pressure on the vagus nerve which goes from your gut to your heart. Mine have stopped since reducing wheat.         

Don’t know if you get yours after eating, but I have been reassured that they are nothing to worry about most of the time. It’s only if they are prolonged and don’t stop because it can be atrial fibrillation. Best to check with your doc if worried.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »

Do you eat pasta and wheat silverstar? 

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »

My bloat has now gone after going Gluten free silverstar, I highly recommend it.
Yep avimac,as long as they aren't prolonged,my sister had one last for hours,eventually had to go to hospital to get her heart restarted but that's rare,if they only last moments then it's usually ok,like silverstar I've had mine since my 30s also,hope your anxiety subsides a little knowing you're not alone

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 09:48:44 PM »

Hello Avimac

I agree with the other ladies in that all your problems are common meno symptoms.

Palpitations were one of my earlier symptoms and I often thought that my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I also  used to get them when I was in bed at night but oddly I didn't panic about those ones.

Although I still notice my heartbeat when I am anxious the really strong ones have now resolved .  I assume they have gone the way of some of my other meno symptoms and I hope yours stop very soon.

Wishing you well.

K.

Rosieg

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 01:40:04 PM »

Hi Avimac, I’m also new to this site and it sounds like I’m having exactly the same symptoms. I’m on the 17th day of my period which is quite heavy and I do have palpitations as well. I spoke to my gp who has ordered thyroid and iron blood tests and a scan. I’m 56, and have been pretty regular apart from a few missed/farther apart/closer together periods, but this is really frustrating. I thought I would be over all this by 56🙄 Hope you’re feeling better 😊x