Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Feeling YUK  (Read 4373 times)

Uptick

Re: Feeling YUK
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »

Hi holidaylover, I have read all your posts on the forum. I had and still have similar symptoms, hence my interest in your menopause journey. I see that you have had these symptoms before and that they flare up from time to time. It does look like my own symptoms. I have been diagnosed with a number of things, including fibromyalgia, chronic pain syndrome and peripheral neuropathy, although none of these conditions have specific causes, so I guess the hormonal link is still the most plausible common denominator.  I have migraines since childhood, worse during my entire fertile time and not bad after menopause. Neurologist thinks they have transformed into chronic daily headaches, along with the weird symptoms, tingling, crawling, burning. When have you had your last period? Have you ever been on HRT?

holidaylover

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 06:18:01 PM »

Hi Uptick,  Yes, the symptoms seem to just flare up overnight.  The last time I felt like this was June 2019.  But I do usually get all the symptoms (or most of them) at one time.  It seems to me like some sort of flare up.  Tingling is not so bad now, and that, I felt, really died off once periods had stopped. My last period (I think!) was August 2018.  I've never had HRT.  I'm still wondering if I have a bit of an infection as opposed to it being hormonal as my armpits feel a bit 'sticky' . I've not being very active today at all but I feel like I'm a bit sweaty underarm if that makes sense. I've often came upon Fibromaylgia when 'googling' symptoms but I dont know if I fit into the criteria for that as I can go quite a while without any symptoms and I dont get that really tired feeling so many say they have.    I think I'll get back in touch with Doctor tomorrow.  He did say if I was no better I was to phone.  I'm sure you'll agree, its the not knowing whats wrong that causes all the constant questioning. 

Uptick

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2021, 06:39:05 PM »

Yes, once you have a diagnosis you can try to deal with it and move on. Not to mention that some doctors don't feel comfortable dealing with so many different symptoms in one patient, they usually think the symptoms are caused by anxiety or depression and not the other way round. If your last period was August 2018 you're still considered a menopausal 'newbie'. IMHO, 2 years after menopause is still a sort of 'perimenopause' in the sense that 'peri' means 'around', so I would expect some hormonal woes. I hope that's your case. Sticky armpits could be a change in local microbiota, it also happens in the groin area. Have you ever had migraines?

holidaylover

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2021, 06:46:41 PM »

ooh, what is a change in local microbiota?  I'm not very clued up am I?  No I've never had migraines.  I sometimes think I may be confusing the doctors with such a list of symptoms.  I always assume they are linked but I think doctors like to look at one symptom at a time.  My doctor definately dislikes when I tell him what I think I have, or ask 'Could it be this?' 

Uptick

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »

Microbiota, microbiome or flora is the name we give to all microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, viruses) living in our digestive system and skin. Skin microbiota changes throughout our lifespan, one of the factors that influence its function, structure and composition are sex hormones, in other words, they're responsible for stinky teens  ;D There are different types of sweat glands, eccrine (all over the body, open directly onto your skin), apocrine (armpits, perianal area, scalp, nipples, ear canal, eyelids, open into hair follicles) and apoeccrine (an intermediate gland found in armpits after puberty, influenced by sex hormones). Hormonal changes affect these glands along with sebaceous glands (mainly influenced by androgens) and their secretions, which are used by our microbiota as nutrients. The sticky feeling, sweating and smells are all by-products of this process.

Regarding migraines, you can have silent migraines without headache, the tingling sensation is a common feature of migraine aura.

holidaylover

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 08:31:44 PM »

Thanks Uptick, very interesting. 

holidaylover

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »

Well I phoned the doctors after a horrendous night. (Pain and burning all over!) Different doctor than last week, a locum who was really nice who gave me a phone consultation first.  She had me down this afternoon and gave me an examination, temp was fine, blood pressure high (it always is at doctors), no lumps and bumps found but I did have some spots that have appeared under one armpit and some spots under boob (which I would not have noticed).  She thinks like the doctor last week that its most probably a virus and thinks it could be shingles!  She has prescribed tablets for that and I have to go back in the morning for bloods, B12, joint issues etc.  Very good service and I was quite surprised there were so many people in the surgery, in fact no different that before Covid.  Blinking facemask kept creeping up into my eyes which no doubt added to the high blood pressure, I just cant deal with them. 

Uptick

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »

Hi holidaylover, thanks for the update. Are the spots all in the same side? If it is shingles, I hope the tablets do their job quickly.

holidaylover

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 04:30:42 PM »

Yes Uptick they are on the one side.  I remember now back in 2019 I also had spots on the same one side, although I'm sure its quite rare to get Shingles twice.  Trust me!  (if that's what it is).  Interested though to know if the blood tests throw anything up.

Uptick

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 07:43:14 PM »

'It's possible to have shingles more than once, but it's very rare to get it more than twice.'

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/shingles
Pages: 1 2 [3]