Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: toothache remedies  (Read 3320 times)

shrosphirelass

toothache remedies
« on: January 14, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »

I have a dreadful toothache that is getting worse. I braved the dentist yesterday and he said I had an infection that he thought was caused by debris getting into a gap between my teeth. Additionally, the tooth that hurts (which is next to the gap where the infection is) has a massive filling and shows an area of decay which he says can be refilled. He gave me amoxyllin.

I am not sure what is causing the pain, the dentist thinks it's the infection but the gum doesn't hurt it's the tooth. Presumably if its the infection the anti bis should eventually kick in and improve things, but if it is tooth decay I cant stand this for 2 weeks until I have a filling. Has any one any remedies? Im on back to back painkillers which aren't touching it, doing salt water washes and tried oil of cloves which made no difference.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: toothache remedies
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »

Cloves or alcohol - it will dry the area which helps relieve pain.  ? osmosis ?  Drop a small bit onto the area that hurts.  It's the nerve in the tooth being open through the enamel. 

Get some 'nurofen' down you.  The ABs usually take 24 hours to kick in.  Do you have a treatment plan, I wouldn't bother with a refill unless I can see an X-ray of the area.  As we age gum retreat which allows debris to stick and infection to set in.  Get some Tipees to get between the gaps of all the teeth after eating to clear any debris away. 

Padine

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »

Oh Shropshirelass, I know how you feel. ABs should help and if pain meds not helping it could be trigeminal neuralgia. Can you get an emergency 🆘 dr appointment cos this pain is debilitating BUT sortable. A Google is not too scarey but will explain TN. Basically it’s 3 nerves (teeth, cheek and head I think) I’ve had it for 6 years now after being sure it was dental eventually went to dr. I’m on an epilepsy pill 3 x daily, a friend who also has it is on amitriptyline. Keep taking the pills and pain goes, miss a couple of days and it comes back 🥵.
Thinking of you but insist on getting seen ASAP, CLKD’s advice should help to tide you over 🤗

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »

Trigenimal neuralgia is characteristic.  It's a sudden pain down the cheek - caused when a blood vessel traps the trignimal nerve causing sudden, ACUTE pain.  It was so bad it would floor me, I'm sure that when I was walking the dogs over the fields that people thought I was drunk. I would hit the floor regardless of where I was.

There is an operation to release the nerve - long, involved and not many surgeons attempt it.  My Aunt had it twice with great success.  Amitriptolyne did nought to ease my sudden pain, it lasted intermittently for 18 months then suddenly went.  After I had intense dental treatment 3 years ago it returned ....... fortunately it didn't stay!

If the dentist suggests it's due to trapped debris contributing to a bit of decay then hopefully the ABs will help. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 04:04:04 PM »

Its still pretty bad, I feel like I have been hit very hard in the face with a bass ball bat! I'm not worse though. Its been 48 hours since I started the antibiotics now. I'm getting stomach cramps which I guess is caused by the antibi's to add to the joy. Ive tried oil of cloves didn't help atall. I'm tempted by gin but think that could be a slippery slope. What Ive found works best is oragel it completely numbs it (horrible feeling initially) I always use tepe brushes as I have a big mouth and small teeth (as the dentist put it!) so have lots of gaps. There's always bits stuck after cleaning my teeth so I guess I must have missed a bit. Ive seen the xray, there's clearly a large area of infection between the two teeth but also an area of decay on the same tooth so don't know which is causing the pain.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 06:32:21 PM »

Is the pain easing at all?  If not ring a Pharmacist in the morning for advice about pain relief.  Do you have an appt to return to the dentist?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »

How is it today?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »

Still not great, thanks for asking. On second set of antibiotics. it doesn't seem to be responding to them.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »

Have U spoken to the dentist?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 06:51:35 PM »

After the pain ramping up today I rang again in tears and they're going to clean it out tomorrow. Hopefully that will help, as I'm really struggling.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »

I'm surprised that you have lasted this long  :'(.  If I lived closer I would hold your hand  :-\.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »

Thank you x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 08:52:27 PM »

Let us know how you get on?

groundhog

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 11:37:28 PM »

After the pain ramping up today I rang again in tears and they're going to clean it out tomorrow. Hopefully that will help, as I'm really struggling.

Oh you poor thing, I think toothache is one of the worst pains ever. My husband has had toothache recently, really bad.  He took Ibuprofen and Paracetomol at same time - was told that was safe by dentist so if yiu can take it maybe check if that’s possible for you.  He had a few really bad days but antibiotics helped , he’s since had a root canal and went through agony again but it calmed down and is now fine.  Hope you get some relief tomorrow, really feel for you x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 09:44:00 AM »

OUCH!
Pages: [1] 2 3