Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: toothache remedies  (Read 3438 times)

shrosphirelass

Re: toothache remedies
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 04:09:41 PM »

Thanks both, not great news. He cleaned out the tooth and repaired an area of decay but didn't think either would stop the pain! He thinks that maybe one of the teeth has a decayed pulp. The problem is he's not sure which tooth it is and he doesn't want to treat the wrong tooth but the way I'm feeling I say take them both out! He suggested it may be TMJ, but I know it isn't as since it started I have a horrible taste in my mouth which is symptomatic of an infection / decay.

I have to go back for a review on Monday, if it gets any worse I don't know if I can stand it. Ive got some cocodamol so will try them with the ibprofen. The only thing he said he could do was to remove one nerve and if it still hurts to remove the other one so I guess two root canals.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »

Did he not tap each tooth along the row to see which 1 made you jump?

X-ray?  Get him to do both root canals at the same time? otherwise you will be back and forth too often.  Is there another dentist in the practice he could ask advice from?  Ours is a teaching practice to if there's a problem or technique the juniors are asked in to watch. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 06:27:07 PM »

He did tap both and neither hurt when he did it! I had full set of xrays which were inconclusive. I think it must be because there is an infection under the tooth, or in the pulp which doesn't show up. My gum is swollen though.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 07:29:42 PM »

Really strange.  At least you've had the tap test and X-ray.  My dentist won't do any deep cleaning etc. without anti-biotic cover if infection is suspected.  Have you been doing boiled, cooled, salted water as a mouth wash to keep infection at bay?  Yuk but it does help.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 08:51:52 PM »

Yeah Ive tried everything, salt washes after food. Still got a couple of days antibi left, so Im hoping for a miracle! Not as bad as yesterday at the moment, which I'm very greatful for.

Moneypenny

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 09:13:53 PM »

Hi SL,
Have you tried any of the Corsodyl range of stuff?  I seem to be getting receding gums (have always had good strong teeth/gums).  Managed to get an abscess during first lockdown, I did manage to get antibiotics but also found the Corsodyl clear gel rubbed over the general area did help, it doesn't taste very nice and it says that over time it can stain your teeth, but when in pain...!  Hope it gets sorted soon for you.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 03:51:25 PM »

Moneypenny, Ive been using the strong corsodyl mouthwash in the morning since it started to help fight the infection, or whatever it is. Not tried a gel, anything is worth trying and I don't care about staining atm, anything to relieve it. Thanks

Padine

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 05:40:18 PM »

I know the pain you’re suffering and maybe it’s worth GP having a look, they can tell if it’s TGN or decay before you get teeth out unnecessarily. Your 3rd last post was exactly what happened to me. I have a bridge next to the swollen gum and I thought it was going to break if my gum swelled up any more. My lip was swollen too as if someone had punched me!
 Apparently it’s called “the suicide disease” -  that’s what you feel is the only answer as it’s the worst pain on earth ! Please treat this as an emergency as you have suffered so long.   

hugs 🤗  thoughts and prayers Shropshirelass xx

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 06:33:40 PM »

TGN is a sudden, sharp unexpected acute pain.  It would floor me.  In the nerve under the eye on the affected side.  It can be released by complex surgery.  It can leave a feeling of bruising along the sinus area. 

I agree, toothache and anything in the mouth is soul destroying. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »

I don't thik it is TGN as I have a foul taste in my mouth that only started with the toothache, which would suggest an absess or decay from what I've read. I hate toothache but TGN sounds so much worse as you can't get rid of it. Thanks for the good wishes, its nice to feel there are people out there when you're struggling.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 09:01:18 PM »

I used to get a metal taste with sometimes a feeling that something was 'leaking' ......  hows the pain tonight?

Sparrow

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 08:54:12 AM »

Hi Shropshireless,

What you discribed could be a chronic infection and not an acute infection.  If so the antibiotics will probably have little affect.

Route canal is likely to be the best option.  The dentist can deal with the infection by opening up the tooth and inserting a antiseptic wad, then resealing with a temporary filling.  Once the infection has gone he can then do the root canal.

Having the tooth removed is a big step so I hope the pain doesn't push you into that.

Shadyglade

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/root-canal-treatment/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:01:26 AM by Shadyglade »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »

After a fairly good day yesterday pain wise, it's built up during the day today, after I went to the dentist for a review! The dentist is going to get colleagues to review my case and see if he is missing anything and I'm booked in for an appointment on Wednesday and I think he'll do the preliminary work for a root canal and hope its the right tooth.

Feeling a bit apprehensive about it. I haven't had very good experiences of root canals in the past.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 07:49:20 PM »

Could be referred pain.  Difficult to locate.  At least he has your interests at heart by asking around. 

Sparrow

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »

Good luck today Shropshirelass. 🍀
Pages: 1 [2] 3