Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How old were you when you started peri-menopause?  (Read 3150 times)

thegregs52

Re: How old were you when you started peri-menopause?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 09:35:32 AM »

Mid 40's - mood swings, hot flushes at night, trouble sleeping, painful periods, terribly itchy skin, fatigue, muscle aches
Went on HRT patches at around 50 and have been on them since and been in full menopause for 2 years.

corianne

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »

When I went to my GP at 44 with symptoms I now know to be Peri-menopause her first suggestion was to put me on Antidepressants - it was only when I mentioned hot flushes that she said it could be Peri.. 'hot flushes' seems to be the 'key' word(s) here - most GPs don't even think it could be Peri unless you have them! (When as we know there are many other symptoms besides them!)

This is amazing.

Vast majority of responses seem to suggest that peri often starts late 30's or early 40's yet so so many of us have been to Drs with symptoms and it has not even been considered as an issue.

Thanks everyone.

befuddled

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 09:52:07 AM »

I can't remember where i copied this from, possibly it's somewhere on this forum.

"GPs were so reluctant to accept that the early symptoms could be associated with menopause if not accompanied by irregular periods.  Digestive issues like nausea and bloating, psychological issues like anxiety and mood swings, general issues like fatigue,  all seen as normal parts of middle age, but never why they are so common amongst women at a time when the hormone levels are beginning to change, period flow and duration are changing, but periods are still regular."

Exactly what happened to me 10 years ago.  Offered prescriptions for amitriptyline and gabapentin by gp.  The practice nurse knew better though, and she told me that a lot of women were telling the gp that they were having hot flushes even though they weren't, so they'd be allowed to try hrt.

Wrensong

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 10:16:32 AM »

This is amazing.

Vast majority of responses seem to suggest that peri often starts late 30's or early 40's yet so so many of us have been to Drs with symptoms and it has not even been considered as an issue.

I had classic symptoms at 44 & a middle aged female GP recognised them for what they were but when I had to see her male colleague (same age group) one day, he did not agree, saying dismissively & scornfully that I could not possibly be having symptoms at that age & that I had "years to go yet".  This was despite the fact I'd told him Mum was postmenopause at 46.  Frustrating & humiliating, but sadly, judging by other women's reports on here over the years, a pretty common experience.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »

In my 40s. But I had a lot going on, with my parents, and didn't really notice.
Then when I was about 47/8, i started getting hot flushes, and maybe one period every 6 months.
I went 12 months without a period at all when I was 50. That's when I started going 'mad' as it were. An awful lot of symptoms hit me all at once, and I thought I'd cracked up.
Started HRT and after a long journey on that, I'm finally ok again. I'm 56 now.

sheila99

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 06:15:52 PM »

This is amazing.

Thanks everyone.
I thinks it's ignorance of the symptoms rather than age. I saw 2 different GPs when I was 56 and 57 and they didn't consider it either.

Jaylow

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »

44/45 and all symptoms arrived quite quickly. Female gp told me I was too young to start hrt. Eventually I got prescribed it, 48 now and thinking of coming off hrt to see where I’m at and because I’m not sure it’s solving more problems than it’s causing.

corianne

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 08:03:24 PM »

Very similar to me  :)
Started HRT at 44 and for a couple of years I felt great on it, now I'm 48 and been off HRT the past few months as I was bleeding heavily and felt that HRT wasn't helping with that (amongst other things).
Can I ask why you're coming off HRT? (if it's not too personal) it sounds very similar to my own experiences.

44/45 and all symptoms arrived quite quickly. Female gp told me I was too young to start hrt. Eventually I got prescribed it, 48 now and thinking of coming off hrt to see where I’m at and because I’m not sure it’s solving more problems than it’s causing.

Jaylow

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 08:21:15 PM »

Hi Corianne, a few reasons really. I’m also bleeding heavily, prolonged bleeds, awful period cramps, and I can’t say I feel all that good overall. Having said that, maybe I’d feel worse without hrt but I think I’m willing to give it a try now.
Sometimes I wonder if I need to up my dose rather than stop it completely, but I worry that the bleeding may then be even worse. I also hate the progesterone part, it really dries my eyes out and my skin itches all over with dryness.

How are you feeling since you came off it? Do you think you’ll stay off it now?
Also did you cut down first or just stop suddenly? Hope you don’t mind me asking these Qs
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:24:57 PM by Jaylow »

Wragmop

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 03:54:35 AM »

34, although possibly 32.

Was waking at night at up to ten times a night. Cold flushes started, then the brain fog and not being able to find words and mixing others up. Memory was terrible. Gp thought I had dementia.

Last period at 43. Now on hrt at 45. Really needed it years ago but was fobbed off.

Has the brain fog, word problems and memory improved now?

Tootsey11

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 10:59:43 PM »

Wragmop, being honest, no. I'm on full hrt 3 months now and I think it's going to take a long time before I improve. Hot flushes and sleep is a bit better but my memory is terrible, and I feel bland. It takes much time now for me to compose this reply. I know what I want to say, I just struggle to get the words.
Pages: 1 [2]