Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How old were you when you started peri-menopause?  (Read 3142 times)

Beaniehat

How old were you when you started peri-menopause?
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:54:32 PM »

Wondering what people's experiences are?

Uptick

Re: How old were you when you started peri-menopause?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:57:36 PM »

Hi Beaniehat, late 30's. Menopause at 50.5

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 01:39:35 PM »

Late 30s when my periods waxed and waned ............ for 2/3 years B4 they stopped.  No symptoms after a few cold flushes after my bath, itchy insteps in the evenings and the necessity for Vaginal Atrophy regular treatment. 

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 02:09:24 PM »

At age 44 a whole host of peri symptoms started & quickly ramped up to cause havoc, though looking back, some I had no idea could be due to hormonal decline had been ongoing since late 30s.  Final period @ 50.5.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:12:20 PM by Wrensong »

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »

56. Hrt at 57. Latest 'proper' period at 60 (still 60, not sure if that will be the last one).

Gilla999

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 04:27:34 PM »

The first early symptoms (sky high estrogen) in my very late 30s and then the really debilitating symptoms when estrogen started to fluctuate around 40/41. Found it impossible to be taken seriously by a doctor though, even when hormone tests I paid for confirmed it.

Itwillpass

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 06:40:18 PM »

Just after my 44 birthday starting with achy joints, not long turned 46 & last 7 months had been hell on earth with a vast array of the 66 peri menopause symptoms 😕

Evie606

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:07:23 PM »

Hi Beaniehat,

Around 45/46 various peri symptoms crept in. I was 49 when the symptoms became unbearable and I tried HRT.

:)

AgathaC

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 07:25:44 PM »

I was just turned 44 when I was hit by severe anxiety, digestion issues and
breast tenderness/pains.  These three issues have stayed with me, and many other symptoms have been added as the years have gone by.  I am now almost 49 and still in perimenopause.  The past five years have certainly taken their toll and I am very much a shadow of my former self.  Anxiety is the worst symptom for me, general overthinking and constant worrying, and daily health anxiety.  I would like to wish everyone well, whatever stage of the menopause journey they are at.  I post rarely, but I am constantly and deeply grateful for the help and reassurance offered by the ladies here.  It has been a lifeline some days.

Sparkler

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »

First symptoms around age 42.

Tootsey11

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 07:59:11 PM »

34, although possibly 32.

Was waking at night at up to ten times a night. Cold flushes started, then the brain fog and not being able to find words and mixing others up. Memory was terrible. Gp thought I had dementia.

Last period at 43. Now on hrt at 45. Really needed it years ago but was fobbed off.

befuddled

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 10:55:30 PM »

Hello Beaniehat

A lot of stuff started to happen in mid 40s, but I didn't associate it with hormones at the time.  Aches and pains, digestive issues, insomnia and low mood/irritability, subtle at first but gradually getting worse.  Until i was 52, Gp wouldn't accept it was hormone related as my periods were still regular, then hot flushes started, then at 54 all the psychological stuff (brain fog/mood swings/tearfulness), started hrt at 55.

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 08:48:52 AM »

I had ovarian failure since a hysterectomy age 32 but hrt sorted that until I got to 45, sudden onset of different symptoms.  Bloods showed post meno at 48

corianne

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:46 AM »

44 when Peri symptoms first started and I started HRT the same time.
Symptoms got worse over the years, and I came off HRT about 6 months ago to see where my body was 'naturally' and because I felt HRT wasn't helping things.
48 now and as far as I know I'm still in Peri.
I wouldn't have believed how bad Peri menopause could be if I hadn't experienced it myself!  :-\

Beaniehat

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 09:28:10 AM »

This is amazing.

Vast majority of responses seem to suggest that peri often starts late 30's or early 40's yet so so many of us have been to Drs with symptoms and it has not even been considered as an issue.

Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1] 2