Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Question regarding Estrodial Pessaries  (Read 1044 times)

Rosie63

Question regarding Estrodial Pessaries
« on: January 06, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »

Morning ladies.  I’ve been prescribed Estrodial pessaries for soreness and dryness down below.  I started last night but when I tried to use the the applicator I just couldn’t get it in. I think it’s just because I feel so uncomfortable down there, when I tried to insert it my body just closed up, if you know what I mean 😏 I managed to put the little tablet on the end of my finger and pushed it up as far as I could.  When I got up this morning there was a tiny little bit of blood on my pantyliner which I wasn’t expecting either !

So my questions are, do you think it is ok to carry on inserting with my finger, i.e. will it be going in far enough and is it quite normal to see a tiny bit of brown’ish blood when first starting the pessaries ?

Thank you ladies.

Rosie x

Joaniepat

Re: Question regarding Estrodial Pessaries
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 03:39:57 PM »

Rosie63, I'm sure it is fine to push the pessary up with your finger for the time being, if you find it more comfortable that way. I expect the trace of blood resulted from your attempt to use the applicator, as the vaginal and vulval tissues can become fragile with VA. If you have a good moisturiser, such as Yes VM or Sylk, you can use this on the applicator, and also insert some with a finger. I think it might help you to use one of the estriol creams on the vulva as well, either Ovestin or the weaker generic product (just called Estriol Cream). These are available from your GP. When you feel more relaxed about the whole thing, you can have another go with the applicator.

Good luck, you will get there, but remember it can take quite a few weeks of treatment to feel better.

Best wishes,
JP x

Rosie63

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:19:31 PM »

Thanks very much JP.  I’ll definitely get some moisturiser to use with the applicator and give it another try once I start to feel less sore.

Thanks again for replying.

R x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »

Hi Rosie63

I agree with Joaniepat  - most likely that you have traumatised the fragile vaginal tissues by attempting to insert the Vagifem (or the generic equivalent) applicator, when you met with resistance.

Interestingly I usually meet with resistance when I insert mine standing up (which is what I usually do) and have to fiddle about with different angles until it goes in. I presume it is because of a bit of prolapse although last time I asked doc a few years ago she said I didn't have prolapse. This is more likely with age (and having had children) - and I think you're in your 60's like me if I'm not mistaken?

When I insert it lying down it always goes straight in.

The key is to find the right angle for you and insert it gently! Inserting with finger I'm sure is fine but it is designed to adhere to the vaginal walls on encountering damp I think so hopefully it is managing to reach the upper vagina OK and stick to it without dropping out? If you do it at night then this presumably is more likely?

As always - any bleeding you are worried about should be reported to the doctor, notwithstanding Covid.

Hurdity x

Rosie63

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:05 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.  Yes, you’re right, I’m mid 60’s now.  I was trying to insert it when I was standing up so will try doing it laying down to see if that’s easier.  The little tablets are so small, they’re not like inserting the Utrogestan capsules, so I’m sure it would be better if I can use the applicator.

Thank you.

Rosie x