Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New to forum. Menopause has changed me  (Read 1154 times)

mymeno

• First Flush
New to forum. Menopause has changed me
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:04:56 PM »

I am 4 years post menopause.   I always thought I was a lucky one growing up. Had no issues with monthly cycles.  Very easy pregnancies. Was 55 when had last period.  Then it all hit.  I have had severe symptoms.  Initially had such swelling it caused carpal tunnel  in both wrists that caused nerve damage.  Surgery and rehab was able to recover.  Heart issues. Had all the tests because I thought I was going to have a stroke or heart attach.  All came back normal. Gastric issues,  headaches, liteheaded.  Hot flashes day and night.   Anxiety that I never had before.   Loss of interest.    COVID issolation has not helped. Went on HRT to try and get a handle on symptoms. Was on for about a year.  Came off because did not seem to be helping. 

As years went by symptoms have gradually lessened but come back now on a rotating bases.  I am a stubborn women who feels I should be able to handle this better.  Other women seem to.  Why can't I?  I need some encouragement that I am not alone or crazy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to forum. Menopause has changed me
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »

Well - other women don't cope with The Change or we wouldn't be here  ;)

Don't compare yourself to the woman who appears OK in the supermarket queue!  She may well be struggling.  I have a drawer of Fixed Grins!

:welcomemm:  some find it useful to keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.  Which symptom would you like to ease first?  Carpal Tunnel syndrome is common on pregnancy so obviously hormonally linked.

Put the stubborn streak to good use, browse round here.  Make notes.  Do beware of Vaginal Atrophy ;-)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 09:08:24 PM »

Hi Mymeno 👋🏼

Glad you’ve found us.  :welcomemm:

Your NOT alone, and we don’t seem to handle meno, not at all, even ON hrt.
Your not going crazy either, unless your like me, then you are,  ;D .
Why not try another type of hrt?
For me, the mood swings/feeling low, and anxiety are the worst now. I’m 6 years post meno, and I’m 56. Been on hrt for a few years now, and it’s helped me get over the worst, not perfect, but definitely helped me. I feel more in control.
Being in lockdown doesn’t help, but what can we do? 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ve often thought how come, other ladies seem to cope with all this, and it wasn’t until I joined this forum, that i realised I’m not on my own. In fact, my problems are nothing like a lot of ladies on here, it could be worse for me.
Have a think about a different regime. Your quality of life is much more important than wading through crap everyday.
But please, don’t think your cracking up, we’re all here to help, if we can. 🙂

Take care.
Jd xx

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 10:06:39 PM »

Sorry to go off piste a bit, but I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel very recently and now have the one in the sole of the foot at the heel. More jigsaw pieces! Thanks!
Mymeno, you'll be absolutely fine on here. You'll be made most welcome and helped as much as everyone can. It's just a fantastic boat to be in with the very best crew!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:12:23 PM by Postmeno3 »

mymeno

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:59:23 PM »

Worst part is the medical community doesn't seem to know what to do. My PCP says nothing is wrong. My gyno says these are not normal symptoms. And check with PCP for solutions.   

Thank you for your words of encouragement

--
edit by Emma
PCP = primary care physician, or primary care provider
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:39:51 AM by Emma »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »

OH! plantar fasciitis Poastmeno3 - there can be heel pads which relieve symptoms, which is usually due to a spur on the bone deep in the heel.  Or a steroid injection to relieve any swelling around the spur.

Which area do you live in memeno?   A gynaecologist often doesn't know much more than a GP when talking about menopause.  You could be referred to a specific menopause clinic or ring your local Hospital to see if there is a menopause clinic ?

mymeno

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 08:53:23 PM »

Thanks for advise. Will do that

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »

Hi. Let us know how you get on ?  Browse round.