Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: July 2021 ? continuing risks ? (was C-19 2021)  (Read 21881 times)

Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus - 2021
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2021, 08:22:29 AM »

You misunderstood me Lyncola.  I am sure you have top labs in Australia.

What I was saying was that the UK has a lab that is world renowned for being able to isolate virus strains, to a greater degree than is the norm.  That is why this strain was first detected here and not elsewhere.

As for wearing masks it is not required outside here.  I understand that this is the case also in mant parts of Australia and depends on local infection rates.   There is no scientific evidence to show that masks outside are beneficial and it would be very difficult to impose it here anyway.

littleminnie

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »

Yes only the UK and one other country (I think it’s a Scandinavian country) have these special labs and are therefore able to detect different strains so quickly.  The UK are in the middle of winter so are more susceptible to more cases. Other countries are in the middle of summer so it isn’t spreading as quickly as more people are outside.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2021, 10:00:29 AM »

It's spreading rapidly.  What we don't get told is how many people recover and leave hospital  :-\.  We don't know how many people are being treated at home.  What we get is daily deaths and hospital admission rates as well as Ambulance personnel queuing for hours++ because there are no beds.  = hold ups for those in need who have fallen etc..  :'(

Our Labs were ahead of the game having followed SARs and vaccines were already being prepared, they were also ready for mutations so can tweak the current vaccines accordingly.  Then the UK ran out of phials in which to carry the vaccine .......... followed by distribution and storage issues.  One bright spark yesterday announced that the whole of the UK could have been jabbed in 5 days!  Don't know how that would work?

There is no proof that masks stop the spread of C-19.  However, better to wear 1 than not?  I dreamt last night that I was in a crowded place and no one was wearing one, when I searched through my pocket mine was Much Too Large  :-\

Cassie

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 10:35:38 AM »

It is apparant that warm weather does not have any effect on the spread, South Africa is in mid Summer and it is spreading there like wild fire. Masks are effective apparantly in that one gets a lower dose of the virus and so if infected should  not become that ill, who knows, it is all a guessing game at the moment.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 11:38:36 AM »

I agree with Cassie, SARS-CoV-2 spread doesn't seem to follow a seasonal pattern like the flu viruses. As for detection of variants, PCR sequencing is widely available worldwide. The only reason why the UK has detected it earlier is because, unlike the other ones previously detected, it has shown to have increased transmissibility, promptly detected in the UK, probably because it has originated in the UK or it has been brought here by case 0, the person carrying the mutant virus. We'll never know!

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »

It is time that football matches were stopped in the UK! All that hugging and hi5ing isn't helping stop the spread!  I may have muttered about this B4  :-\ but it is rife across the Pro football communities.  The government did threaten initially that any hugging etc. would cause the cancellation of matches but that hasn't happened.  Why am I not surprised ........

C.C.

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2021, 01:43:37 PM »

Right now we (the province of Ontario) are still under lockdown with new restrictive measures being announced today. It's expected a curfew will be implemented. Quebec has had a curfew since Saturday. Anyone going out between the hours of 8 pm and 5am is subject to a warning and or a fine.  Those going to work have to prove as such so they don't get penalized.
I am still off work.  The government has said in-person learning for all schools will resume on the 25th but honestly, I don't know if that is realistic. The numbers in Canada are soaring and each province has there own situations to deal with.
The long-term care homes are experiencing high cases here, worst than the first wave in the spring. They are getting vaccines but not nearly enough and for some families, sadly too late.

littleminnie

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »

I do feel slightly better now the vaccine rollout has fully started.  I know of a few people that have had the vaccine.

Sparrow

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »

There is a good explaination of the Lockdown rules, for those confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkmnxLq0r_0&feature=youtu.be

Chris Daws is a brilliant QC by the way.  :)

C.C.

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 02:07:42 PM »

Yesterday, the premier of Ontario announced new restrictions for the next 28 days as we are under another state of emergency effective tomorrow at 12:01 am.  But this is not the same state of emergency as the one in the spring.  There is much confusion over what stores and recreational activities are allowed to stay open that were closed in the spring.  As an example, we can now only have a limit of 5 in a group outdoors but outdoor skating rinks are allowed to remain open. The stores deemed non-essential are on reduced hours.  As for the schools, only those in the hot spot regions, eg. Toronto, will resume in-person learning on Feb.11th, whereas other regions start Jan.25th.  I live in a region that is surrounded by hot spots so I will imagine that date could be changed. 
Dh is not certain if he will be staying home for the next 28 days as his company would not be considered essential, but he seems to think he will be going in to work.  His job doesn't allow for him to work from home so who knows what will happen if he's told to stay home.
This whole thing is getting so tiresome.  I'm hopeful there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccines being rolled out albeit slowly.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:18:11 PM by C.C. »

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »

Why not lock down as last year  :-\

C.C.

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2021, 03:59:10 PM »

I don't know CLKD,  it's all so confusing.  Not everything is closed like last time, and the case numbers are so much higher this time around.  The problem is that the government has been dragging its heels in making the tough calls and not calling for a complete lockdown is crazy. They have been criticized for how badly they've handled this second wave.  They've put too much trust in the people doing as they're supposed to. Now we see that the majority of the cases are stemming from those private parties, even before the holidays.  Oh and now, we are told to wear masks outside if we can't socially distance. ::)

I'm not sure what the answer is.

VikkiP

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »

Hi C. C. unfortunately, it is exactly the same here in England, and i presume worldwide. Not much clarification, and everyone interpreting it to suit themselves. The Daily Mail is the main source of utter rubbish, i don't know how they are allowed to keep trading with some of the stories they print. No one has any clue what is going on in any other country unless they have friends or family there, but basically over here, 50% are hunkering down and 50% are just living like we used to, so its pretty much stalemate in terms of moving forward. However, vaccines are being given out, which is a good sign, as in Spanish forums, they are nowhere near us. I am 46 and will be pretty much last on the list, but it would be brilliant if it could be sorted before Xmas.

If there are members from out of UK, could you let us know how it is in your country?

Lyncola

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »

In South Australia if you fly on a plane or at a airport with no face mask $50 000 fine.
UK needs to get stricter with face mask, lockdown is not enough  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »

You couldn't write it!

UK snow: Large crowds gather in Leeds for snowball fight

Large crowds took part in a mass snowball fight in a city park as wintry weather covered parts of Yorkshire.
Hundreds of people took part or watched on as snowballs were thrown in Leeds's Hyde Park on Thursday afternoon.
Lockdown rules say it is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are part of your household or support bubble.

where was the Army with cold water hoses?  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15