Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anti depressants.  (Read 1400 times)

Coll

Anti depressants.
« on: December 29, 2020, 11:46:22 PM »

Hi kind ladies,

Feeling very down since the Gp won't give me any more oestrogen.
I don't want to take anti d's but don't feel I will be able to get back to work if I don't, without my HRT.

Could you tell me the best one for menopausal women ?
I'm frightened of felling foggy headed and not being able to work properly.

This is all too hard sometimes .
Thank you x

Katejo

Re: Anti depressants.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 03:54:56 AM »

Hi kind ladies,

Feeling very down since the Gp won't give me any more oestrogen.
I don't want to take anti d's but don't feel I will be able to get back to work if I don't, without my HRT.

Could you tell me the best one for menopausal women ?
I'm frightened of felling foggy headed and not being able to work properly.

This is all too hard sometimes .
Thank you x
  Why no more oestrogen from the GP ?  I would argue with any GP who tried to push antidepressants instead of HRT.

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 06:31:32 AM »

Hi Coll, I was on (and sometimes off) citalopram for years and basically never had any menopausal symptoms till I came off it for a year at 55, after which I developed horrendous VA symptoms and now need quite a high dose of hrt.

I'd try to find another GP if possible if you are happy on oestrogen! Based on my experiences I would say citalopram seems to suppress some meno symptoms but it's almost impossible to get off of, plus the start up is generally awful too.

For me, I need them for anxiety based issues but I've also developed facial pain and jaw issues which now mean I can't take them. It's called TMJ, and is an uncommon but rare side effect. ADs make one more foggy-headed in my experience but other people feel clearer.

Long story short, I'd avoid ADs for purely meno symptoms but they help psych issues greatly, however the side effects and potential withdrawal issues if you come off are considerable for some people. They don't necessarily sound like the answer for you, from what you have said in your post.  :)

I hope you manage to get more oestrogen though!!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 06:33:36 AM by CherrySG »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »

Do tell us more about why you were prescribed oestrogen initially and why your GP won't prescribe any more?

Do U mean HRT or localised vaginal atrophy treatment?

I have taken ADs successfully since 1988, without I wouldn't be here.  Some ladies need both HRT and ADs.  Appropriate anti-anxiety medication is useful to and can be a life saver.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »

I think you're waiting for a scan following an extended period without using progesterone? So in this case I think your gp is right not to prescribe oestrogen until they know how thick your lining is. Others can give you more advice on ads but as I understand it it's a bit like hrt in that you don't know what will suit you best until you try. Do you have a date for your scan? I hope you find something that works until you can start hrt again.

Coll

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 09:34:53 PM »

Thank you again ladies for your replies.

Yes the Gp is unwilling to give me the oestrogen at the moment because I took unopposed oestrogen, so that was why I thought i would need the  anti depressants.

I have to see a consultant next and see if they will give me some more.

The reason I first needed it several years ago was for depression and I have to say it worked beautifully.
Felt I had returned to a normal life,  but it was the progesterone that then floored me, and hence got into this mess.

Good luck ladies and a very Happy New Year to you all.