Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Alcohol free days  (Read 6718 times)

Penguin99

Re: Alcohol free days
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2021, 01:27:29 PM »

Well done Vicki. I used to drink quite a bit really, wheni used to teach I would have a glass or 2 every night and a bottle at weekends. 1 bottle is my max otherwise I'm as sick as a dog :sick02: but over the last year I just don't seem to have bothered with it. I never drink in the week and sometimes I just don't fancy a glass at the weekend. I found I used to have it because it was what I did, every Sunday hubby and I at 12 o'clock would say  "right pubs are open" we would be at home, he would grab a beer & i would start on the wine, but we just don't really bother muchness. We usually go to France once a year and stock up, but obviously we haven't done that this year, so when the offers on wine were on we stocked up. We have hardly touched it. I dont miss it, I just don't fancy it and sometimes say I'd rather have a coffee or juice. I have loads of wine in my garage, its there if I want it. We se our friends a couple of times a year and wow she can drink, 3 bottles easy. I can't take that amount. ::)
Its hard battling, I lost 2 stone last year, have put on 6lb over the last month,  so now I'm back to battling my weight. I'm not obese anymore just overweight, it was a lovely feeling when people said " have u lost weight?". I still have a little treat now and again, I suppose I'd lose the weight quicker if I didn't,  but it helps me. Keep going, its so worth it, the health benefits are great.
Good for you :great:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2021, 01:39:23 PM »

Alcohol + sugars  ;)

ElkWarning

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »

Hi.  Kinda of wondering how you're doing?  I 'sort of' did Dry January, interrupted by a couple of glasses of wine, to remember my daughter's friend who took his own life (it was his birthday and, due to lockdown, she's stuck at home with us).

I have an up and down relationship with alcohol.  I can drink.  And when I say drink, I mean most people under the table.  Both my parents were alcoholics.  I didn't take up the challenge until I was in my early 30s - until then I could open a bottle of wine one week and it would still be in the fridge by the end of the next week.

Anyway, yeah, it's now something I'm permanently conscious of.  I'm the sort who would happily drink a bottle a night.  Key for me was finding other things I'd rather do, like get up in the morning not feeling like a bucket of cold sick, be straight enough to ride my bike, feel the benefit of exercise, stop piling on weight, be able to think my way out of a paper bag, etc, etc.  It wasn't until I kind of was pulled more towards the alternatives that I got on top of my drinking habits.  In other words, it wasn't so much that I was giving something up, but that I was gaining something I wanted more.  That made it easier.

Still though, some days, I _really_ need a drink.  It's as if that allows me to press pause and just stop the world for a while.  I'd rather I didn't feel this way, but I'm also not going to beat myself up about it.  And the less I drink, the more I find other ways to press that pause button, earlier, sooner, so I intervene myself before I'm at my breaking point (that 'give me a funnel and keep it coming' bit).

I have a very dear friend who I talk to.  He's been a member of AA for quite some time.  It's really helped him.

Hope you're going ok.  Very sorry for your losses.  Sounds like a tough trot.

Best

E

jaypo

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 01:35:11 PM »

Yes,it would be good to hear how you're doing vikki.
I just can't physically drink as much since hitting menopause I like my two glasses of red on a Friday and Saturday and a couple bottles of lager and don't intend to give that up any time soon, I enjoy it and we all have to have something we enjoy,like you elkwarning, I could drink most people under the table in my youth but omg the next day? Why do we do that to ourselves

VikkiP

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »

Hi Elk and Jaypo, to be honest it hasn’t gone well, January i drank 12/31 and they were all bottles of wine, i was quite low in January, but for February, so far it is 5/26, and that was 3 bottles of wine at beginning of month and a bottle of beer for two nights recently, so much better this month :)
I haven’t felt the need to have alcohol as my crutch lately but i have so much going on that i hope i can resist.
I hope you are all well, and are all ready to step out into the sunshine in a few months xxx

jaypo

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »

Thanks for the update vikki,the one thing not to do,is beat yourself up,I can say I've turned to the bottle at times in my past when there's been major stress and it is what it is. I enjoy my drink at the weekends and won't give it up any time soon,does this make ME have a problem?
How much wine do you drink at one go?

VikkiP

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 12:55:32 PM »

Hi Jaypo, i only think there is a problem if it is affecting your life in some way, health, money, mental health etc.
Lots if people can be social drinkers, but mine is to heal hurt, which of course it doesn’t, it just makes it worse for me, so i try to carry on without it, it does get easier the longer I don’t drink, but its a very quick slippery slope back to drinking everynight.
I would have a bottle a wine a night, but quickly drank between 5 and 7.30.

jaypo

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »

I used to drink a bottle to myself on a Friday and Saturday but can only handle a half bottle now since meno,probably a good thing. I read on the other thread you're not in a good place with your partner right now,that definitely won't help  :'( I really can empathise with you

Cookie25

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »

Hi VikkiP

You sound like you have reached a point where you want to be sober. You've done well but I would ask you to seriously consider joining a 12 step programme. In these you get support from peers and you spend time learning about yourself and the reasons you drink to allow you to move forward into recovery. Give them a Google, the meetings may be online just now due to COVID x

Lanie66

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »

I love the honesty in this group.  I read posts often but rarely feel I have anything to add.  This time I do and for me to be this honest isn't without effort.  VikkiP you are not alone, I also have a problem with alcohol, I've probably only had about 30 dry days in the last year and 11 of those are the last 11!  I had any excuse to have a glass of wine, nice weather, I'm celebrating something (small), I'm pissed off, I'm stressed, bad day at work, I could basically associate it with any mood or occasion.  I rarely drank before 5pm, always thought that made it ok. I'm looking at what I'm writing and realise it's in the past tense, I'm hoping this is another step forward for me.  I've done dry months over the years then just resumed bad habits.   I failed my last intended dry month on day 2!  My problem is not knowing when to stop.  Drinking has rarely caused me any problems with friends or family but recently I've become angry with myself for being so self destructive.  2 weeks ago I found the Freedom sober in seven programme online.  It costs but I feel its worth it and so far I'd recommend it.  My perception has shifted and I can't really believe it.  I've learned that alcohol is the 2nd most addictive substance to heroin, its toxic and its not my fault I've found it difficult to control. Alcohol is everywhere, on TV, movies and advertising. It's also cleverly portrayed.   No wonder it's image is so acceptable.  I don't know what the future holds but I'm on my second weekend alcohol free and I'm proud of myself.  I'm not saying I'll never drink again but if I could have one glass with a meal then stop I'd be more than happy.  I'm 54, 3 years into menopause and early on into it the hangovers were terrible after 2 drinks but I think I developed more tolerance.  I really began to worry for my health, better late than never hopefully.  Good luck x

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2021, 08:41:12 AM »

Well done Lanie66  :medal:  as with smoking, it's never too late to stop and each day without is healing for the body.

Fortunately, despite several anxiety and depression, I never turned to alcohol.  Having been drunk at the age of 4  :o 1 C.mas, by finishing up the dregs from the glasses - quietly creeping round whilst the adults were playing cards - then dancing on the table  ;D  :-X ....... and finding that fizzy drink makes me feel very ill about 5 hours after with intense wind and nausea, I've stayed away.  The adults never got drunk but did enjoy Fine Wines as they became more monitorially mobile.

I know a young girl who has been getting drunk on Vodka since the age of 13.   :'(.  Now in her mid-20s she blames everyone/thing else 4 various situations that she finds herself in  :-\ and her friends support her.  Of course she's defensive ........ who isn't at that age!

My way of coping when anxiety strikes is to take the emergency tablet and sleep.  Not been necessary for 2.5 years other than 1 incidence and I can't remember what. 

Little steps. 

jaypo

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2021, 08:56:57 AM »

Good luck lanie66, I hope you get there x

Cookie25

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »

Hi Lanie

I’m glad you’ve found something if support for yourself. I would say also that the 12 step programmes such as AA and NA are free and also have meetings online at the moment x

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2021, 10:11:18 AM »

We know from being here how important support can be.   :hug:  Denying 1self can work against us though  :-\.  If U find a method that works then go for it!

Kathleen

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2021, 05:16:12 PM »

Hello ladies.

I know several women my age who are self medicating with alcohol and coincidentally none of them are taking HRT.  Certainly when my jitters are intense I am tempted to open a bottle but have resisted so far (  my SIL tells me that cigarette smoking is also helpful and she has offered to be my supplier lol!).

I don't blame anyone for using different substances to help them cope at tough times and as a child I recall hearing old women talking about gin being 'mother's ruin'. I also admire anyone who tries to improve their health by changing their habits and I wish them good luck.

Take care ladies.

K.

Pages: 1 2 [3]