Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alcohol free days  (Read 6723 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Alcohol free days
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »

Sad memories Lyncola.   :'(

Grandma used to tell 'a little of what you fancy does you good' - that'll be chocolate then ;-)

Making a diary might help Vikki?

Dierdre

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 11:12:14 AM »

I come from a family who have always enjoyed a drink, we always had some home brew on the go and always have wine with a meal. It was just the norm. I usually have a glass or two of red wine with my evening meal and probably always will. To date my grandparents and parents lived/living well into their nineties. Most Mediterranean countries have wine with their meals and seem to live alot longer than us Brits, I think its just everything in moderation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:15:07 AM by Dierdre »

Lyncola

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 08:43:33 AM »

It’s chocolate for me, but since menopause and that bringing on lactose intolerant I don’t have as much as I use too. Plus I tried the really good chocolate, the supermarket chocolate taste like crap now.

There’s a chocolate shops in Australia called Haigh’s chocolate, but none in Queensland. So usual buy $100 worth when I go to Sydney or Melbourne. But sadly that hasn’t happened with coronavirus. And yes they do deliver, but with how hot Australia gets? They say they use special packaging that keeps it fine, but I still get worried.

So for me dear chocolate is my vice  ;D

VikkiP

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 09:31:01 AM »

Hi all! Happy new year!! hope you all had a good night, we were in bed by 9.30, which is late for us, usually 8.30  ;D

So i'm starting again, today  ::)

No alcohol, plenty of water, try and eat healthy and do plenty of walking, that is the plan for January at least.

Good luck to anyone doing the same  :)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »

Well done VikkiP let us know how you get on. 

jaypo

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »

Good luck vikki,one day at a time xx

marge

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »

Despite a few drunken escapades in my youth, l can honestly say that from the time l was pregnant with my first (over 30 years ago), l haven’t been drunk since. I always felt l had to be ready for any eventuality. I enjoy a glass of red wine and the odd Baileys but, to be honest, l can take it or leave it these days.

getting_old

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

Lyncola I've read that children of alcoholics often end up as alcoholics or teetotalers because of their childhood experiences.

I think the acid test is whether you can not have a drink for a week and not miss it. I have a friend who could well be an alcoholic, but you'd never think they were. They hold down a good job, play sports, then drink a bottle of wine every evening. They joke about doing dry January but never actually try it.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »

'functioning alcoholic' ....... common in Fleet Street years ago.

There is also an 'acoholic gene' apparently. 

Lyncola

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 09:02:37 AM »

That makes sense getting old, my sister turned out the alcoholic and I’m the teetotaller.

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 09:50:05 AM »

I never miss it through the week but really look forward to my couple of glasses on a Friday,it's like everything else,it's moderation.

VikkiP

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »

Hi all, on day 3 today, feeling loads better, i have been eating a lot more healthy too, a big fan of of Dr Rupy!

There are 4 of us children, three of us are drinkers and my sister never was, although she is starting to get a taste for gin! lol!

I suppose there are lots of other factors for people to drink, other than their upbringing, it also used to make me 'come out of my shell" but not always in a good way  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 10:00:49 AM »

Good girl vikki,hope you can keep going,alcohol is seldom the answer to any problem,just an escape but sadly the next day the same problems are still there.
Wishing you well xx

sheila99

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »

There's a genetic factor too, they reckon it's approx 50% genetic and 50% other factors. Children of alcoholics are far more likely to become alcoholics themselves even if they don't grow up in that environment.
Well done VikkiP, I hope you stay strong.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 01:00:05 PM »

Who is Dr Rupy ...........  ??? 

Glad that you are feeling good.  You are doing this for you.   :foryou:
Pages: 1 [2] 3