Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thyroid or perimenopause?  (Read 1851 times)

Lalb1

Thyroid or perimenopause?
« on: December 28, 2020, 02:03:57 PM »

Hi, just been having a read up and came across the bits about thyroid issues.
I've noticed the symptoms seem to mimic each other of thyroid problems and perimenopause symptoms.
Has anyone else had the same issues and been tested for thyroid only to be told that's OK and it's not that but probably peri or meno?
I'm going to request bloods from the doctor this week as I'm fed up of feeling so absolutely runnish, so tired and achy.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thyroid or perimenopause?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »

Do you have thyroid function issues already?

Some GPs won't investigate further if results come back 'within normal limits' even if a pateint continues to complain of symptoms!

Lalb1

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »

CLKD
No I don't have thyroid function issues. But on reading a few places it seems they can be missed or it can be misdiagnosed.
I last had thyroid function tests over a year ago as part of bloodwork.

Is it something I'd be able to request, is it something that would be easy to mis diagnose?
Maybe I'm just clutching at straws but I can't help feel somethings not right, especially with the neck pains and the constant fatigue and blurry vision. 😒

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »

Make a note of your symptoms for 4 weeks? something to chat with the Nurse about?

Meno can mimic several others conditions. Thyroid has certain symptoms such as feeling cold all the while, having none or too much energy as well as bulging eyes .............

Lalb1

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:48:33 PM »

I've been keeping a symptoms log for the last 2 years or so, probably longer. It just seems odd how the neck thing and the exhaustion are now worse, they seem worse round the time I get a period. I've gone thru times where I've had the hot sweats, the cold flushes, and now I'm feeling cold quite a bit but still have the hot moments as I call them.
I don't know if the low energy exhaustion is more now or what. I've been off work and had to rest but in doing that I also think I've made myself lazy if that makes sense. I also can't help wonder if the pain and other stuff are from too much sitting about.
I just think I'm maybe seeing too much on forums and health anxieties making me assume I've got it. 🤷‍♀️. I think I will definitely ask for bloods tho. Even if it's just to put my mind at ease.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 06:52:42 PM »

Hello Lalb1

I am post meno and have been for a long time. My Thyroid was tested a few years ago and was okay however I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism at the end of last year and now take Levothyroxine daily.

The reason I went to my GP was because felt fatigued and very cold, so much so that I was wearing many extra layers, even in bed. The really noticeable thing was that my eyes became very puffy and I developed bags under them. A few months before all this I had Glandular Fever and then a chest infection and apparently GF can attack the Thyroid and lead to Hashimoto's.

I think a blood test is a good idea, if only to rule out any Thyroid issues but for me the symptoms were different  to all the meno stuff I have endured along the way!

Take care and let's us know how you get on.

K.

Lalb1

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »

Hi Kathleen,
I'm feeling fatigued more than usual, however I don't know if this is just due to having been off work since October, have been ill with an eye problem which has caused me to feel rubbish and have had to rest. Not sure if I've just got stuck in a circle of feeling fatigued cos I know i haven't a lot to do while at home as where as if I was at work I'd be tired through that reason.. If that makes sense.
My eyes aren't puffy at all, I do have bags under them but I know that's more than likely through lack of sleep and worry.
I do feel cold more often, but again I think this is die to just sitting about etc. I am still having the hot moments, when I'm busy or in bed.

The symptoms I've been having don't seem majorly different, I'm just grasping at star was maybe as I'm worried somethings not right.

I had glandular fever when I was 11 (35 years ago now) but all my thyroid tests have always been ok.
I've been under the hospital for my eye problems and have ha dnumerous blood tests but as far as I'm aware nothing to verify anything with thyroid.
I think a blood test is best. Is it something they will do just because I ask? Will they also do ones for vit d and B12 deficiency etc? Or do I need some sort of referral? I've had all theses before but I can't remember how I ended up having them? The vit d and b ones I think were due to me feeling run down and low.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »

Hello again Lalb1.

I would definitely ask for an update on your blood tests and I'm sure that your GP will agree.  Thyroid conditions are very common and there is more awareness of the effects of low vitamin D these days.

Hopefully you will get some answers and treatment if needed.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 09:22:09 PM »

Have they done blood tests for eg vit D and B12? Fatigue is one of those things that can be caused by many things.

AG

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 04:22:07 PM »

I have had borderline thyroid under-function over the last few years which also coincided with (peri)menopause. Both have a lot of similar or even same symptoms. I assumed that all my symptoms were due to menopause transition but it now turns out that my thyroid has turned under-active, and thyroid was contributing to symptoms considerably. Medichecks do good thyroid checks for TSH, T4, T3 and thyroid antibodies. NHS usually tests TSH and T4 only. If one has antibodies even borderline under-function can make one feeling really ill on top of menopause symptoms. Thyroid medication has reduced symptoms for me by now. AG