Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Merry Christmas....?  (Read 1416 times)

Jule1

Merry Christmas....?
« on: December 24, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »

Hello and merry Christmas! I am new here and am looking for comfort through shared experiences. I turned 50 this year but have suffered from peri menopause symptoms for a good 7 years. My main symptom is health anxiety, fed by the myriads of physical symptoms I experience. Right now I am suffering constant abdominal pain, gas, bloating, nausea. It’s a dull pain on the upper right abdomen, together with feeling pressurised from the inside (blown up). It’s been there for a good week? Or longer? I am loosing track... made the mistake to google... gallbladder problems? Ovarian cancer? I also have changes in my digestive system - constant loose stools, going more frequently etc. Going to the GP is not that easy these days, so I haven’t been but I did have a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy in autumn and have had several vaginal Scans in spring and summer (due to my extremely heavy bleeding and loss of blood) - all of which came back clear. So I try telling myself that I am probably fine and it is peri and my huge health anxiety. Always worse in the morning... I was never an anxious person until 7 years out of the blue I was hit with massive anxiety!! I even had to cancel a long await trip abroad, as it got so bad. Had several tests, most of which came back more or less clear. Symptoms and diseases I am fearing are ever changing (seeking comfort in this) and it always gets worse before my period starts. So I think it’s all to do with hormones.... but it’s slowly killing me. I have been feeling ill since years and am in constant pain (albeit frequently changing locations and types). I have two kids (4 and 12 years) and feel I am failing them due to my constant bad mood/ fear/ suffering... my periods are now irregular and extremely long or extremely heavy, but as the scan came back clear I guess I just have to ride it out. I am now even getting scared of my period, though...

Okay, enough about me - anyone out there who has similar symptoms (abdominal)??

I hope you all have a good Christmas despite everything!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Merry Christmas....?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 10:06:08 AM »

Morning!

Health anxiety can increase as we age: our own health issues, young/teen children, ageing parents. 

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.  Something to talk through with the Dr/Practice Nurse.

No one needs to 'ride it out'.  Heavy bleeding can be helped with a prescription from the GP.  Other symptoms can be eased. Anxiety can be eased with appropriate short-term medication which can then be used on an as necessary basis.  Some HRT can help symptoms but they can take longer to kick in. 

Browse round.   :hug:

Sage 🍃

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »

Hello Jule1! Welcome to the forum! Yes, yes, yes, same bloody symptoms, except for the children  ;D It's probably all due to perimenopause, so hang in there sweetie, I'm so much better now 3 years after this hell! My peri lasted 10 years! Merry Christmas  :-*

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:09:01 AM »

Hi Jule1

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about all your symptoms. Once your periods started to become regularly irregular like that then you became peri-menopausal but before that time some women experience increasing pms as their hormones start to go awry.

Digestive problems should always be referred to the doctor. I'm not sure how you managed to have both colonoscopy and gastroscopy without seeing the doc? They would also order various blood tests and let you know their diagnosis of your symptoms. Neither of those tests you had can detect ovarian cancer as far as I know, which is usually first investigated with a blood tests and then  proper abdominal scan so you really should see a doctor about your symptoms even though as you say they are probably caused by anxiety. As I expect you know anxiety itself can cause havoc with the digestive system.  Maybe your vaginal scan looked at the health of your ovaries?

As for cancelling the trip abroad - sorry to hear that - but all of us will have had to cancel holidays this year haven't we - so at least you're not the only one!

I hope you had a good Christmas with your young family and are feeling a bit better now

Hurdity x

Jule1

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:19:04 AM »

Hello again and thank you ladies for your replies!
Although I am slightly more worried now - ovarian cancer? I had several vaginal scans (due to extremely thick endometrium and heavy bleeding) between Feb and August last year, so was hoping that these would have picked up any irregularities in the ovaries... ?
It’s a constant struggle to get through the day - my comfort is that symptoms appear to change frequently. They did some blood work when I was in A&E last autumn, so not sure what exactly... I am so fed up with all this - would be lovely to just feel ‘normal’ again! I kind of lost all trust in my body.  :-\
Best wishes! J

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »

Morning.

Do you keep a mood/symptom/food diary?   It's The Change, does what it says on the tin.  MayB if symptoms haven't worsened after 5 days ?  if they do then give your surgery a ring, most GPs are talking to patients by phone/video calls.