Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello - New to group and advice on HRT preparation appreciated please  (Read 899 times)

csee82

• First Flush

Hi 

Hello all - I'm new to group.  I'm 50 and started experiencing menopausal symptoms at the beginning of this year.  The main issues were night sweats/insomnia and general anxiety/difficult coping at work.   I have been on the progesterone only contraceptive pill for some years (Cerazette) and so have not had any natural periods so it's difficult to know whether I would still be having them if I were not on the pill.

My GP prescribed Femoston Conti for me, which stopped the night sweats in a matter of a few weeks and I generally felt much better.  I have also continued to take the progesterone only pill for contraceptive purposes.   However, over the next 6 months I started to get symptoms of sore breasts, bloating and breakthrough bleeding and so she switched me to Evorel Conti patches.   I've been on these for 2 months now.  I haven't had any of the symptoms of bloating/bleeding etc, but unfortunately my night sweats have returned with a vengeance so I don't think the dose of these patches is high enough?

Could anyone suggest what might be the next best option for me to try?   I have a pretty good relationship with my GP so if I could go to her with a suggestion I think she's pretty likely to oblige with a prescription.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello - New to group and advice on HRT preparation appreciated please
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »

HI!   :welcomemm:  We have a good search box here so mayB put the medication name into it and see which threads pop up?  Make notes ;-).

It may be that you require an extra half or full patch a few times a week. It can be a bit Trial and Error.  Browse round.  Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

Re: Hello - New to group and advice on HRT preparation appreciated please
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 08:27:01 PM »

If your taking a conti hrt as well as the prog only pill you're probably getting too much progesterone. What about a mirena which will provide progesterone to keep your lining thin as well as contraception, and then either an oestrogen only patch (which come in different strengths) or gel?