Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES  (Read 685145 times)

Sandra Snow

Re: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES
« Reply #795 on: October 08, 2019, 06:15:12 AM »

I started with the menopause at 49.  The flushes were mild for the first year.  Hardly noticeable.  The second year they hotted up.  I went on HRT.  It was fantastic.  I felt like my old self.  I was was told I had to come off it by the time I was 60.  On two occasions I tried to come off it.  Just stopping the tablets is disasterous.  On the third attempt at 57 years old, I came off gradually over months.  I spent 4 months with the sweats even more intense than when I first needed to go on HRT.  Now I continue to have hot sweats in the same way as my second year of flushes.  No different.  I am absolutely convinced that HRT delays the menopausal symptoms.  I am now 62 and have had a blood test to see where I am at?  The last one being the intense star flower oil.  None have worked.

The only way I can sleep through hot sweats is to take an antihistamine tablet, one that says "may make you drowsy".  I do this once per week just to get back on track.   

ptsheldon

« Reply #796 on: October 08, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »

Thanks for that really thought I was going mad!!
I can't take HRT but my consultant has wrote to my doctor suggesting other medication I'll arrange an appointment.
How long will you be taking the medication for, if I can ask

pease

« Reply #797 on: October 16, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »

I am on my third menopause - having come off HRT after 20 years (with a one year break that was awful). I feel better this time, but the hot flushes are still pretty bad 5 months after last HRT dose. So I am going to try H&B St John's Wort/Black cohosh combination. I have ordered 2 months' supply (half price on line!) and will report back.

Pokahontous

« Reply #798 on: October 25, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »

I am 49. Have had the hot face/flushing/and flushes for about 1.5 years now. How I "cope"...riiiiight.  Coping with them certainly isn't a choice; a better way to say would be that we put up with and deal with them.  Mine have been HORRIBLE. I practically cannot go anywhere without a fan and/or an ice pack. I have several fans:  in my bedroom, in my living room, in the kitchen, at work on my desk (2; a small one for "good days" and a larger one for "bad days"). Whenever I flare up it is almost ALWAYS my face.  My face burns and burns like an oven is right in front of it.  Sometimes both sides, and often it's just one side - and if it's one side, the ear is severely hot too! It. Is. AWFUL. And because I suffer from anxiety too, any situation where I am even the last bit overly happy or sad or angry, increases the flushing and burning like you would not believe --- enter the ICE PACK. I have ice packs at home and at work - several. And when the burning is so bad that even a fan doesn't help much, I use an ice pack. So embarrassing to go in to a meeting at work and have to bring a small fan and/or an ice pack. And of course with everyone looking at me, it makes me anxious and embarrassed,so it makes my face even hotter! I half joke about it in the meeting -- or sitting at the doctor's in the waiting room -- saying, funny little things -- but really, I am MORTIFIED.  The hot "body" flashes are another thing. They don't happen too, too often, and usually I just have to quickly unzip a layer of clothing and take it off (like a sweater/jacket); sit in front of the fan and I'm fine.  Like I say, most of the time it is MY FACE. And once it is "exposed" - like going into a meeting or an appointment (doctor), or getting upset or angry, it "sets it off" for quite some time - sometimes hours - before it "settles down" with ice.  And on top of this, when my face is burning hot, I'M FREEZING. So I have a fan and ice on my face and a blanket wrapped around me shivering (if I'm at home).  I hate this and cannot wait for it to end!  Sorry, had to pause there to take off my zip up sweater and turn on the fan - I'm getting overly warm just writing this!  And speaking of sweaters (and I mean sweaters as a top - not a sweater you put on to go outside or if you are a bit chilly); I mean sweaters as tops (like instead of a t-shirt or blouse); I NEVER wear sweaters. I can't. I would, I'm sure, spontaneously combust and be forced to rip it off and be wearing just a blouse so am forced to only wear light items like t-shirts and other light fabric. No, I only wear sweater jackets if I'm chilly so that I am able to unzip them and rip them off at the first sign of a flash.  Okay this is my first post and I have to get ready for work so I will end it here. I hope to hear from others to see if I am the only one with hot burning face/ear issues. Sometimes it is not the whole face, sometimes just little "areas" on the face - and the ear - it "picks" a side usually too.  Sighhh....thanks for listening.

Cadgwith Girl

« Reply #799 on: November 27, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »

I started having hot flushes in late December 2017.  At the time I thought I had got flu, but thinking back to a conversation I had had with a friend on Christmas Eve, who had been telling me about her going into perimenopause, it dawned on me that I too was now having perimenopausal hot flashes.  I am lucky enough to be able to say that I have never really suffered from the dreadful drenching night sweats that other women talk about. Or maybe I never got that far because I did a lot of research into menopause.
I was fortunate enough, that for some inexplicable reason, I held onto a book called Natural Alternatives To HRT by Dr Marilyn Glenville which belonged to my mother.  God knows why because I was in my early twenties at the time. The book fascinated me and if I recollect correctly, I think it helped me to research solutions to the awful PMT symptoms I used to suffer.  Anyway, I dug this book out and started reading it avidly taking in everything it could offer.  Her latest book is called Natural Solutions To Menopause.
Upon following up the recommendations to cut out/dramatically reduce sugar and caffeine intake I managed to completely stop having hot flashes!  In addition to this, I was taking tinctures of dong quai, agnus castus and black cohosh and later on sage capsules.  Within a few months I was able to stop taking the tinctures and sage capsules.  I can even have an occasional decaf latte and not get a hot flush so long as the latte is prepared with decent beans which have not been chemically treated!
I know this works for me because a few months back I started drinking my favourite drink which is Belvoir ginger cordial with sparking water.  Within a matter of days, I started to have minor hot flashes and couldn't work out why they had started up again.  Until I realised about the sugar in the cordial.  I had totally taken it for granted that I would be okay and forgotten all about the need to pretty much elimininate sugar in any form.  Just as a side note to this - I can't take artificial sweeteners as they give me panic attacks plus I hate the taste of them.
I have since learned that  I cannot drink decaf coffee that comes from a jar either because the hot flashes will return with a vengance as I'm currently being reminded.  Despite my endless research into all things menopausal, I am very easily apt to forget, along with brain fog, as to what the culprits are that cause hot flashes.  These days, generally, I have virtually no sugar in my diet, save the odd tiny thing in sauce dressings for salads. And even then I tend to make my own dressings to really keep an eye on what I put in the dressing to make it tastier e.g. a tiny drop of maple syrup for french dressing.
Dr Glenville's book is not for the faint-hearted but if you persist with properly following what she recommends, you may find, like me, that you will eventually succeed in eliminating hot flashes!  In addition to this, I regularly follow Eileen Durward's weekly menopausal video blog.  She also has great tips and advice on coping with all the evils of menopause.  Hope this is of some help.

Silverbells

« Reply #800 on: March 04, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »

I haven't slept well since last spring. I don't normally slept well from the end of May till August, anyway, because of hayfever and it being so light I'm the evenings. So, I'm not sure when menopausal sleep disruptions kicked in. However, it is only in recent months that I've felt a bit warm at night. Fortunately, it only lasts a few minutes and I fall back to sleep again straightaway as long as I'm feeling relaxed.

I'm not on HRT and haven't considered it. I do get anxious at times but since I've suffered from GAD most of my life, anti-depressants would probably be a better option, methinks.

Emm225

« Reply #801 on: April 10, 2020, 06:45:54 AM »

@wearytraveller?.how are you doing with your meno now?
Reading through these threads makes me sad as there seem to be a lot of members who are still struggling despite natural remedies/HRT etc.  I am not no HRT but get hot flushes...urghhh I hate them.  They have changed since I had the Mirena out, they used to be the ****ly insects crawling under the sking type and I got very few, they are now the sweaty , damp frequent type, at least every hour and I hate them.  I just have to wear layers and strip off quickly..within reason! Bit better now am not at work due to lockdown...or probably I don't notice them as much as easier to strip!

Sleep wise...I never ever sleep through now.  Hot sweats, urge to wee, anxiety  mind whirring....oh for a restful night's sleep...

JenJab

« Reply #802 on: February 19, 2022, 02:47:58 PM »

Hi everyone HRT stops most of it.  Still get break throughs even on HRT. It's been two years now with menopause and I'm going to pack up all my hot clothes and donate them.  I've bought a new wardrobe with really light viscose material over the last two years.  I can't stand wearing hot denim or hot jumpers or poly  or rough materials still and I don't think it's going to change.  I also have a lovely cool air conditioner in the bedroom for hot nights.  Cold showers are good too and swimming in cold water at the local pool (although I've not been swimming for a long time with COVID around).  With COVID you are supposed to feel a slight fever but that's what it feels like a lot of the time with menopause I find that really amusing sorry everyone :) Cheers from Jen

Dandelion

« Reply #803 on: March 01, 2022, 03:00:20 AM »

I coped with them by seeing my GP to increase the evorel, but that was years ago.

Doctors had to decrease the evorel due to abnormal bleeding after investigations ruled  out any other problems, and I never got the flushes back, just night sweats.

I still get those, I use a fan every night by the bed. They are not pleasant, wet pyjama tops, but they are bearable and not a big problem.

SusiQ

• First Flush
« Reply #804 on: March 20, 2023, 12:58:14 PM »

Hello from Canada  ;)
I’m new here. I’m 60 and have been suffering from hot flushes for 5 years now. All this started at a bad time since our “healthcare system” here in Canada is suffering also. I haven’t seen a doctor in 5 years and am on a “waiting list”. So I’m suffering alone! That’s why I thought I’d joined this Forum. I was already doing yoga and exercises and that doesn’t seem to work. I never drank alcohol, don’t smoke, don’t drink caffeine and don’t eat spicy food (never have) and still my hot flushes keep on flushing!!!!! Every time I try to talk to a woman in my community, they all tell me that they never went through any of that!!!! I just want to cry when I wake up 5 times during the night because of the sweats and listen to my husband snoring next to me  >:( Right now, I’m just glad I’m retired and I don’t have to work. But I just need to “vent” sometimes and have nobody to vent with  ;D I usually have 10 flushes during the day also. Right now I’m trying meditation to see if that will help. Thank you for reading me  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #805 on: March 20, 2023, 01:52:30 PM »

Hello from Canada  ;)
I’m new here. I’m 60 and have been suffering from hot flushes for 5 years now. All this started at a bad time since our “healthcare system” here in Canada is suffering also. I haven’t seen a doctor in 5 years and am on a “waiting list”. So I’m suffering alone! That’s why I thought I’d joined this Forum. I was already doing yoga and exercises and that doesn’t seem to work. I never drank alcohol, don’t smoke, don’t drink caffeine and don’t eat spicy food (never have) and still my hot flushes keep on flushing!!!!! Every time I try to talk to a woman in my community, they all tell me that they never went through any of that!!!! I just want to cry when I wake up 5 times during the night because of the sweats and listen to my husband snoring next to me  >:( Right now, I’m just glad I’m retired and I don’t have to work. But I just need to “vent” sometimes and have nobody to vent with  ;D I usually have 10 flushes during the day also. Right now I’m trying meditation to see if that will help. Thank you for reading me  :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry you are battling with hot flushes. I think HRT is the best thing for them but I understand this is difficult to get in Canada. It is lovely to have you on here.

Ayesha

« Reply #806 on: March 20, 2023, 05:12:18 PM »

Why is it difficult to get HRT in Canada?
The hot flushes were the one symptom I couldn't cope with and that was the reason I went on HRT years ago.  I only used it for 5 years and it got me over the worse of it.
Some of those ladies in your community are obviously lying as hot flushes are the most commonest symptom of the menopause. Sad you are not getting more support!

Dawn3129

« Reply #807 on: January 06, 2024, 11:57:23 AM »

I'm on hrt and mine is still bad does anyone have any tips? X
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]