Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54

Author Topic: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES  (Read 726866 times)

grindys

Re: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2007, 04:49:30 PM »

I know I've said this elsewhere on the site, but I have been taking a tablet after my breast cancer that has thrown me back into a sort of false meno.

I had terrible side effects from them and my Onc took me off them 5 weeks ago, but I still get flushes most hours night/day..........  :hotflash:

Today though I am feeling rather proud of myself,  I managed the whole of my shopping trip to ASDA without one! This is the first time since xmas  :ola:

Just thought I would share my excitment with you girls  :banana:

Cazikins

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »

Hi Grindys - well done & I know what you mean about doing the shopping & not having one. I always seem to get a bad one when I am at the checkout, don't know why but it happens about 7 times out of 10 - probably because of the size of the bill.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:42:32 PM by Cazikins »

Libby Babe

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2007, 08:18:17 PM »

Hi Grindys :)
That is good news - let's hope you keep going like that and your shopping trips will be much more bearable in future. To be honest, I hate Asda and have been known to have a few 'funny turns' and hot flushes in there myself! :steamed: I am always glad to get out.
Take care
Love Libby
x

sarah bird

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2007, 10:22:06 AM »

Hi Grindys, I can sooo identify with that ! not that I'm obsessed or anything ! but you do start to know when one might be coming 'cos bizarrely they do get to be quite regular...about hourly for me or at worst every 45mins. so you get to feeling really pleased if you've managed to get through something without one . For me its often at the bank counter  >:(
and in shops etc .
I even found myself actually getting quite excited when over an hour had passed without a flush ! how sad is that .

Having said that, for me, at the moment they seem to be getting fewer and further between ;D hurrah  BUT have been here before only for them to return with a vengeance much to my utter dismay :'(  :'( .

So good luck and long may your coolness continue  :)

love Sarah b xx

Ninfapaola

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2007, 02:02:55 PM »

My hot flushes have come back with a vengence >:(.

Although I have a couple during the night the worst ones seem to be during the day - in fact some are so bad I fee quite light-headed.

I took Menopace for a few months but I'm not sure now if it helped.

I'm going to give the Starflower capsules a go; they appear to have encouraging results.

gichca

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »

Hi, I'm interested to read about the Starflower Oil capsules as I take this each day anyway , along with Evening Primrose Oil....perhaps that's why my hot flushes have not been too bad ( as yet!!) - usually they coincide with a warm day or at night time, or merely having a hot drink but I can't say they have been too troublesome at this stage.

What has helped me though is to take the homeopathic remedy SEPIA.

For various reasons I am unable to take any form of HRT and always prefer the natural remedies anyway as I have studied them and used them for many other ailments through the years..........I read up about Sepia, and felt it  might well help me - and it has! It has also helped some of the low period type pains,the mood swings and tiredness! :)

Along with wearing mainly cotton/linen clothing, drinking lots of water and green tea , and making sure there is lots of air circulating,I am managing to keep fairly well, even though I also have R/R Multiple Sclerosis.

I am interested too, to find out if there is any cyclical link with what we originally had re our menstrual cycle.
I was usually fairy regular and just last year (just before turning 50)missed a few months, then had  several months as normal, then missed another.
I then went back to my normal cycle, but since earlier this year I have now missed 3 months, and also had other symptoms such as period style cramps, low backache and the familiar warm flushes all around the time I would normally have had a period.
 I guess things are now moving on a bit faster perhaps?
Has anyone else found SEPIA to be helpful?
I would love to hear from you.......

So glad we have this forum to share our thoughts and feelings- and experiences!

Kind regards,

Gilly    xx

chrissie52

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2007, 08:57:21 PM »

I first got hot flushes 2 years ago when I was working in a stressful job, long hours and a lot of responsibility.  After 6 months I realisied it was having a detrimental effect on my work performance and although my sister had had breast cancer (but nobody else in the family had) I decided to start taking HRT when I was 52.  The flushes stopped, but I did get headaches, and period pains each time I had a period. Then I lost my job, and decided that maybe i could cope with the hot flushes, and i wouldn't have to put up with headaches and period pains.  I had been on HRT 18 months when I finally came off, and for 3 months felt great.  However, the flushes are now back with a vengeance, night sweats, soaking wet which causes lack of sleep, and consequent tiredness.  I cannot carry on like this.  I have tried all the alternatives, omega oils and multivitamins (which I still take), isoflavines - no noticeable effect, and clonidine which my GP prescribed as a last resort - this I tolerated well but it just doesn't work!  I'm trying black cohosh as well at present, but from what it says on the site, it looks like that isn't going to work.  So my only choice will be to go back on HRT.  I do exercise, have lost a bit of weight (OK maybe more of these would be a good idea!), I try to eat well, organic if possible, and I don't smoke.  I also have Crohns disease, which isn't too bad at present though I have to be careful what I eat as I had surgery 10 years ago to remove part of my small bowel, so this is something I already have to put up with!  I feel as if enough is enough, and I need to stop this intolerable flushed, clammy horrible feeling!!  If I thought it might be just a few months I may cope better but there doesn't appear to be any way of telling how long it will be.  After I came off HRT 6 months ago I had a slight period, but nothing since, so as I am now 54 I am hoping I can go on period free HRT.  I am a very upbeat person but this change of life really gets in the way of living a normal life!!  The only other problem I have associated with this is not vaginal dryness (not really an issue as not in a secual relationship), but local soreness when I urinate sometimes - this is not cystitis, but just dryness, and I made sure I didn't have an infection or anything.  But it's the flushes I cannot cope with really. 

sarah bird

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »

Hi Chrissie. you sound really frustrated  :(  .I do sympathise with you , its so awful when you feel you are doing all the right things and nothing seems to make much of a difference.the heat is the worst part for me and also that sense of it just being never ending ( 5yrs so far for me now eeek !)

Sometimes the flushes seem to become less hot and less frequent and I start to feel soooo much better ,thinking at last its over  ;D  then back they come with a vengeance  >: ( :hotflash:

From what you say you also have other things to put up with as well ..what a b****r ..poor you .
at least we can come on here and say what we need to say... sorry I've got no answers but I can connect with how you are feeling.

lots of love and maybe these will cheer you a bit  :foryou:

sarah b x

juju

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »

Hi chrissie and I know how you feel.HRT is the only thing thats stopped my flushes.I'm 52 and been on it one year.period free type as I hadnt had a period for almost 2 year before I went on it.I really felt unable to cope with work and social life when I had the flushes.Hope you get sorted out soon xxx

Craft

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »

I reported in an earlier in this thread that I was taking Flash fighters for my flashes and that they were working. Well at the moment I don't think anything is going to help. We are having the worst ever heatwave in Turkey and our area is the hottest. It was 51 degrees yesterday and today. Late 40's all last week. I feel like getting on a plane and going to Alaska for a two month break. I am sitting here in an air conditioned office but am flashingevery half hour or so. I want to die. I am spraying lemon cologne all over me, in the absence of pepperment oil and water as previously suggested. I am not sure how I am going to survive the summer with this heat and the flushes...............help!!! :'(

juju

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2007, 01:46:39 PM »

HI Craft,you poor thing!I saw that Turkey is having a heat wave...dont know what I can sya to help.We are off to Northern cyprus in 2 weeks and they have it pretty hot at the mo as well but I will be in the sea etc and not haviong to work like you are.My hot flushes first started when I was on holiday in Antalya 2 years ago...awful I just wanted to go home.HRT has sorted them for me.Hope you get some relief soon.xxx

Libby Babe

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »

Hi Craft :)
It must be awful for you in that heat - I am not sure what to suggest to help you with temperatures like that.  Having said that, I am hot most of the time just now and it's only 15oc here today!  There is certainly no sign of us getting any sun at the moment.  :sunny:

Sorry I am not much help but try and stay as cool as you can and take care. 
Libby
x

Craft

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »

I know noone can help really I just wanted to moan as I feel so bloody hot!!!!!!!And you lot are so good at feedback. So still flushing but feel better knowing you lot sypathise.
Take factor 350 for Cyprus Juju and have a wild time  8)......... lol

chrissie52

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »

Thanks for the sympathy and flowers!  :)  Well my doctor said I can have HRT, and I just got my prescription filled, but it looks like a mistake has been made as I've been given oestrogen only HRT (and I have not had a hysterectomy!), so it looks like I'll have to go back again!! >:(  I was hoping to finally get it sorted, but it'll be a little bit longer I suppose!  It's a good job this site explains the different types of HRT otherwise I might have been in the wrong type for 3 months!  Still it has gone very cold and wet here in the UK, so at least I'm not suffering hot weather too!

Cazikins

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »

Hi Chrissie, I am on an oestragen only form of HRT, but that is because I have the mirena coil fitted - I don't suppose you have one too do you? if you do then this type is ok. Sorry I can't be of more help to you right now sweetheart.
Cazikins
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54