Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Fuel bills  (Read 1576 times)

groundhog

Fuel bills
« on: May 27, 2021, 12:11:30 PM »

Hi ladies,
I tend to deal with all our finances, my husband had never been involved.  I’m quite careful and seek out all the best deals etc.  In April we bought a LayZspa, I can’t blame my husband as it was my idea, a treat for him and the grandchildren ( I can’t use it owing to the fistula on my abdomen ).  Anyway, after a month when we had only used it twice ( awful weather) I had an email from my electricity supplier more than doubling my direct debit!  I was horrified, it went up from £120 a month ( gas and electric) to ......£260 !!!
These things eat electric, LayZspa misled me as I asked the question and was told £7.50 a week but it’s much much more.  I’ve joined a forum and it’s well discussed and seems we need lots more insulation but my point is, my husband doesn’t care, says so what we can afford it ( hardly the point ) and why should he lose out on this because I’m so frugal.  Massive argument ensued, he became very very angry and to be honest I was shocked at his reaction.   I think it’s unleashed how resentful of me and my illness he actually is. 
Am I being unreasonable ? We can’t send it back but we can modify usage and get extra insulation, turn down when not in use etc but he is so obstinate about it all, it’s really upset me.  I just know this is going to be a massive bone of contention now yet I just can’t talk to him and he says I’m fussing about nothing 😡😡😡
I cant fight  him anymore but AM I being unreasonable?  He says quite rightly most ppl spend far more on other things and we do nothing ! ( Holidays, smoking, drinking, drugs ) but hardly the point is it ?
Or is it ?
Honest opinions please.  I am medically retired, he works part time by choice, not wealthy ( I wish) , live off pensions .

littleminnie

Re: Fuel bills
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 03:01:55 PM »

Hi Groundhog, we pool our incomes (I know a lot of people don’t) and everything comes out of the same pot. My OH spends money on things I don’t use (gym stuff) and he likes a bet every now and again (I don’t) and plays sport (I don’t).  It doesn’t bother me a bit because I spend a lot of money on clothes etc so it all balances out.
So if it was us and we could afford the extra money a month and my OH enjoyed using it then I wouldn’t be bothered.
Plus, I’m quite sure the novelty will wear off and it will be used less. 
Maybe bide your time?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »

That is a shocking increase, i guess you have checked there is no mistake?

Personally i hate baths and have a teen who isn't allowed to use a spa pool/hot tub because of CF so  won't ever feel the need for one .That doesn't help your dilemma though-sorry!

Is he totally against modifying it to get usuage cost down?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 03:12:07 PM »

Our bills have gone up a lot as well but that's due to an increase from our supplier due to the lifting of the price cap in April.  We've changed supplier (again). How much extra have you actually used? Are you sure that the increase is due to the spa and not a change in charges due to the price cap? https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/energy-price-cap-increase-april-consumers-should-switch-save-money

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »

This is an 'it depends' one. You can't take money with you and particularly at this time of life you should spend some of it on luxuries or perhaps things you've gone without so far. Having said that £130 a month is a lot to spend on a luxury you can't use and in your position I'd probably knobble it. Perhaps the novelty will wear off, after all it's only a large bath. I don't understand why you put cold water in it then heat it up, I suspect a hosepipe from your hot tap when you want to use it would be far more economical. More hygienic too, you wouldn't have a bath in second hand week old bath water. If you leave it on definitely insulate it.
I may in a similar position soon. I bought a lamb milk feeder this year which keeps a tank of hot water to warm the milk up when they feed. It's great for saving time as we have about 20 lambs for bottle feeding this year. I've taken care to avoid looking at the electricity meter so far because I suspect I'd turn it off if I did. OH is happy enough though as I pay the bill.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »

Could DH pay this bill out of his bank account or put money in your account to cover the cost? Then if he is bearing the cost, it won’t bother you? Plus, put the insulation in place. Maybe compare the cost with regularly playing golf or having a motor bike like my DH and all the costs that that entails. My DH needs to ‘blow away the cobwebs’, so maybe this is a good way for your DH to blow his away. What kind of things do you do for yourself?

PS Your DH really needs to become acquainted with financial matters for his own good. Like my Mum, he will be in a pickle if you died before him. It’s been an uphill battle sorting things out for her as she hasn’t a clue. Made us think about ourselves, me having access to all accounts and me teaching DH to use the washing machine! ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 02:19:39 PM »

I wouldn't touch a spa-type thingy with a barge pool.  Did the Company warn you about the amount of bugs that may lurk? and how often these things require emptying, cleaning and re-fillling?  If they aren't kept hot enough .........

Did U take a reading prior to switching it on?  Who did U buy it 4?  What was the basis of the argument?  Why can't you return it?  A bed has 60 days 'try it out' period for example.

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »

I agree with clkd,where our holiday lodge used to be,they only allowed these spa type things if they were professionally cleaned every month,it soon stopped a lot of people getting them as it's quite costly apparently.If you've been misled,I'd do what my daughter does,if she gets bad service she goes onto Twitter or Instagram or whatever is these days and writes a scathing review AND she gets results

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 04:30:32 PM »

I would tell the Company that it's not the item that you expected it to be?  See what the response is. 

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 09:24:24 PM »

Thanks all.
Firstly there is no mistake, I have checked.  It’s not all down to the hot tub as I have been a bit remiss with meter readings. Anyway long story short
We’ve done a lot of research and he agrees to modify usage and increase insulation.  I phoned my utility supplier and they have put me on a smart meter with a much better tariff so that should help. 
I bought it clkd as a present for the family so only have myself to blame.  We’ve had hot tubs before but electricity has gone up and this one is better in many ways.  I wouldn’t go in it but it’s perfect.y safe and tested daily to make sure no bugs lurking. 
Do I regret buying it, yes but they do enjoy it and it’s good fun plus if the weather improves heating the water is obviously far less of an issue.  I wouldn’t take it back, children would be gutted ( and hubby) . I’m slightly happier now but will have to keep a close eye until we know exactly how much it’s costing.
Thanks all , after all the misery we need some fun but I was shocked at the cost, hopefully it will be less moving forward  🙏
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:44:30 PM by groundhog »