Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: blood test  (Read 1519 times)

VBWatt

• First Flush
blood test
« on: December 09, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »

Hi all, new on here. I got a call from my practice nurse this morning after a blood test yesterday. I haven't had a period for 3 or 4 months and been feeling off since the end of last year. Extreme fatigue, unable to concentrate, not crying all the time but much more than the norm for me, joint pain, I'm shuffling around like an old woman each morning and after a short period of time sitting down.
Bloods all came back normal bar the FSH - 67. I'll be 48 in a few months.
Has anyone else had this experience? Straight to menopause, do not pass go? I know this is strictly after a year of no periods but level seems to be high from what I've read now? I thought I had PVF? I'd no idea menopause or perimenopause, would be so physically painful? I've got an appointment with my GP on Friday. Any advice would be welcome. I know I need to cut down on caffeine as that has been fuelling me for months.
Where do I go from here?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: blood test
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »

Peri-menopause is the lead up the last monthly period, literally 'menopause'.  But we often don't know for a couple of years if periods have stopped  ::)

Peri can begin B4 we realise, we are aware that we feel 'off' without putting our finger on why.  Especially if we still have periods. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out - nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, scalp, vagina as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Not usually all at once  ;)

:welcomemm:   Browse round.  Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease first and put it into the search box here.  Make notes ;-).

Blood tests don't always give a true reading any way.  Symptoms can give a better idea as to what we require.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »

Yes, sounds like the joy of menopause to me. Joint pain could be eg arthritis but it's a common meno symptom too. Perhaps discuss hrt when you see your gp? It should help you feel better.

VBWatt

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:34:12 PM »

Thank you both for your responses. I think at the moment I'm a bit shellshocked. Some helpful tips for utilising the site.

How have you dealt with your own symptoms? Did you go down the route of HRT? Can you recommend other treatments?

Hopefully my GP will discuss a range of options?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »

It depends what your symptoms are but generally speaking the only cure for oestrogen deficiency is adding oestrogen. Keeping a healthy diet and lifestyle helps of course. I was also surprised just how far reaching oestrogen deficiency can be. My main symptoms were anxiety and insomnia (but also emotional, low mood, tearful, achy etc etc) I was offered ADs but refused them, hrt has definitely improved things.

VBWatt

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 03:42:44 PM »

That sounds really similar to me Sheila? Apart from fatigue, palpitations and pain, I've got a lot more anxiety going on at the moment? In work, issues that seem trivial to others are making me cry with frustration? I work with a vulnerable group so I'm not quite ready to acknowledge my reactions are down to the menopause but maybe sometimes my reactions are disproportionate? I've been off since a few days ago, ending up bursting into tears in work :'(

Regarding treatment, I'm struck by how many people are taking supplements in addition to prescribed medication? This must be costing everyone a fortune? If these treatments are necessary, it does seem to me they should be on prescription?  Also, bewildered at the moment by all the different treatments/dosages/combinations?  I feel reading posts, I should be researching all the different options before going to the GP? HRT was mentioned on the phone and I've taken note of comments on oestrogen. I think I'm ok going with what the GP suggests at the moment and take it from there? I suppose thorough research gives folk a feeling of more control over this process? I'm just keeping fingers crossed that I'll not have to become an expert?  Vicki ::)

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »

I'd never had anxiety before so mine was defo meno. It has gone now but it did take 3 months on HRT to go completely. The psychological problems seem to take a bit longer than flushes. Don't be too hard on yourself
In theory you should get everything you need from your diet as long as it's a healthy balanced one. If you have fatigue your gp may run some tests to show up any other deficiencies. I was deficient in vit d which surprised me as I'm outside more than most but I think many people are deficient in winter. If you look at the Treatments option from the menu you can see what hrt is available. Transdermal (patch or gel) is safer than oral. Most people are fine on whatever the gp prescribes, the chances are you will be too.

VBWatt

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »

Thanks Sheila

Straight-forward advice x

VikkiP

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 06:22:26 PM »

Hi VB  :) I like how you described it - shellshocked, very apt.
I've dealt with my symptoms with either awe or shock, experiencing things and feelings i never have before  :D
I plan on sorting out a healthier lifestyle to try and keep it natural  :) 

VBWatt

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 11:29:27 AM »

I've spoken to my GP this morning. I'm going to start HRT. Can't get patches, so it's a 3 monthly combined. She did mention getting a mirena coil as being a good option, minimises the ingestion of progesterone and therefore side effects but I'm going to start on the tablets only first and see how it goes? I'll try anything at this point. I don't know about you but I've been feeling like I'd been run over by a bus. The fatigue and pain have made me feel so low? I saw someone else post that they thought they were dying? Was this you? I'm not sure, but I had this constant thought for months? Not feeling sad, though weepy, but a level of exhaustion like I've never experienced. Also, all the posts about feeling like a 90-year-old? That's me too! I'm fit, exercise 6-8 hours a week but I've become so stiff and the tension in my body, whole body cracking? The good thing about the forum is there is so much shared recognition?

At the moment I feel positive about starting treatment. I should have written down the brand/ type, but I'll hopefully collect it today.
I'm generally reluctant to take medications and have been lucky throughout my life so far - not had antibiotics for over 25 years, but had a good talk to the doc who's a sweety really, and has been through this stage. I'm happy to go with her advice for the time being. She was explicit that it can be trial and error about getting the right treatment, so not just cheerleading for medication. I'm kinda convinced between reading all I can and kind comments here that oestrogen is essential?

Will update on progress on here. Yeah, the shock for me isn't about not being able to get pregnant. My son's in his late teens and it's long ago since I've considered having another child, nor not having periods, that's great. But going from having periods to being told your post menopause and that is what these symptoms are likely to be? Well, that's a shock? My recent change in temperament I now recognise might be like many women I've met throughout life, who around the same age, know better about everything and feel like they care far more than everyone else around? Perhaps I'm in fact over-reacting, due to the fatigue, anxiety, pain, but that's between us, don't tell anyone else I've said that ;)

Sheila99 CLKD can you recommend any reading to us? First thing I do is look for a book on a topic?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing all xx

VikkiP

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 12:40:56 PM »

I don’t have any experiance about feeling old and tired, just the opposite.
The shock for me was that it all came on so suddenly, blindsided me a bit.
I’m not sure what you mean about other women? I only have a few close friends, i try to stay away from people in general  ;D
I like my hubby, my dogs and being out in nature 💖
I hope it goes well at doctors x

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »

I've never read a book on it  :-X
I tend to use the internet. There's a lot of info on this site under the menu tab. Newsonhealth is good too.

VBWatt

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »

Vikki I was thinking about folks I've worked with and friends in the past, being adamant, "hot under the collar" literally perhaps? I feel like I'm maybe in that category now, those women I felt might have been over-reacting over the years? It was a joke about not being one to admit I'm wrong?

I've not got a partner at the mo, split from him last year but also have a dog  ;D

The meds are not in stock aaarrghh? Ah well.

VikkiP

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 08:26:50 PM »

Ahh VB, i see what you mean. I don't know if i could think of any women i've known that i could say that about? But i suppose 95%ish of women must go through this, so why not?

Sorry to hear that, but what a time to be hormonal and single  ;D :P

My meds is wine.....but only for another week  8)