Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seeing Gynacologist  (Read 2516 times)

Padine

Seeing Gynacologist
« on: December 02, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, if not, please point me in the right direction.

3 weeks ago I had an MRI scan for a lower back problem. Last week, the consultant phoned to give me results and there's nothing sinister with my back but they picked up "something" in my cervix which needs further investigation. I am so worried, not so much about what it may be but the thought of going through all the investigation. Consultant was lovely and reassured me it probably is a blockage, a narrowing, fibroids or some blood. I had a hormone surge in 2016 (18 months post meno then) and had thorough scans, examinations, another MRI and all was well. All my smears have been regular and everyone clear, last one 2 years ago.

Please can someone offer me some advice about not worrying myself sick over this? I'm a worrier anyway and can only focus on the bad right now. I feel terrified right now.

Padine

Re: Seeing Gynacologist
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »

I wonder if it's the HRT Tibolone, as since I've been on that, all discharge has been quite different.  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »

Could be a shadow of something 'left behind', i.e. as suggested blood or a polyp.  Did the Consultant tell you what the procedure will be and how long you will need to wait?

Padine

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »

No she didn't. That sounds a good idea CLKD. She said she had told my own GP and he was going to refer me. Before Covid, he would have asked to see me to discuss this. I hope I can be seen before Christmas but who knows now?

(Apologies to all for spelling Gynaecologist wrong in the subject box ::))

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »

I'm a medical secretary and appendiscectoy etc. still catch me out  ;D especially in shorthand  ;)

I would ring my Surgery to see if the letter has arrived to your GP, ask who you will be seeing and then ringing the Secretary at the Dept. to see how long the waiting list might be.  Could you take a Hospital cancellation appt. at short notice?

Padine

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:00:28 PM »

Just phoned GP and spoke to a lovely receptionist who said the waiting list isn't too long (thanks for suggesting I do that CLKD).

I just remembered that at my last smear 20months ago, the nurse said not to be surprised if I was recalled as there was some cream (ovestin) on my cervix and it was difficult to get the cells she needed. I have such a dry vagina, sex has been too sore for about 5 years and at the time I was using Ovestin to help. I know I was using more than Dr prescribed but I so wanted to have a "normal" sex life again when we went on a special holiday last October. If that is what is wrong, how will the gynaecologist diagnose that?
I am trying not to Google all this as I know a little information is worse than none at all. Has anyone else had experience of this?

When I had the hormone surge 4 years ago, I had an ultrasound scan, an internal scan (lasted about 10 mins - it was horrible) them the gyn. tried to examine me but after 3 seconds I yelped so he said "VA, you can get dressed". Am I likely to have the same sort of procedure?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 02:43:34 PM »

So you had an inkling that you might need further investigation?  You can use 'ovestin' or 'vagifem' as often as is required, every night if necessary.  Some find that 'sylc' and 'yes' products help too.  If you put those into the search box you'll see threads ;-)

I don't know if you will require as prolonged investigation, mayB ask at your next appt. and remember, it's your body so no one can force you into it.  You can go home and consider ;-)

Padine

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I tend to feel at the mercy of knowledgeable medics but you're right - it's my body. Nothing in the post today so I can shelve the anxiety till Monday now  :safe:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 04:05:05 PM »

MayB make a list of your main symptoms and worries?  Get it out of your head, onto paper, ready to take to any appts.?

Padine

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »

Gynaecologist appointment came through today and I had a feeling of absolute dread as I opened it. How do I stop myself worrying about it? I know I'm a big baby but can't help it.  I will phone my GP nearer the time and see if he can prescribe something to calm me down. I'm already on Propanolol for my anxiety.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 05:41:54 PM »

It's the not knowing for me.  Mum is not well but the Home aren't keeping us up2date, which is more of a worry than not being told!  Once I have issues in my hand I can sleep at night  ::)

Maybe make a list of your worries to take with you: gets it out of your head and onto the paper.  What's your biggest fear?  How do you take the Propranolol?

Padine

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 07:58:16 PM »

Thanks again CLKD, sorry your Mum is unwell and care home not helping.  I know what you mean about having the information and in every other aspect of my life, I feel sensible and reasonable (I’m not putting this very well)
I am so unbearably embarrassed about all “female only” things. I feel embarrassed when the menopause is spoken about on TV, same with periods, smears etc... and I’m worse if it’s a man who says the words. My husband says to think of this as just another part of my body like my limbs or my back. I am grateful that we have such good screening service. Then there’s the worse case scenario and the gynaecologist is a man. I hate being like this and could cry right now, I’m so anxious.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »

U can use ovestin as often as you need to keep the whole vaginal area comfortable.  Sometimes I need to add a little extra for a few nights.

As for female issues: I think it's how many women are raised.  In the 1990s a male friend began to talk about his wife's periods and I didn't hear any more of the conversation, I was quite shocked  :o.  We were in our 30s  ::).  It annoys me however when on TV the names of bodily parts aren't given correctly  ;D

Gynaecologists are used to seeing vaginas in all shapes, sizes and formations.  If we were all the same how bored would they be  :D.  Do U have a Nurse attend at your appts., it is a legal requirement that you are asked if you would like a chaperone, would that make you feel easier?

Padine

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 03:57:26 PM »

Thanks again CLKD, I’m not so worried today and hopefully this is a chance for me to mention the VA that is awful (but I’ve been too embarrassed to mention it before))

Padine

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »

Meant to say I take 2 Propronalol (40mg) daily, have done for 3 years now.
Pages: [1] 2