Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My dog  (Read 3480 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My dog
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »

Where is the cancer if the leg was clean via biopsy? 

sheila99

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »

The cancer was in the bone, you can see it clearly on the xray where it looks as if the bone has exploded. They took some cells with a syringe before the op but hadn't got the results back when the leg was removed. They didn't think they'dbe  need another sample.

I hope you're right that I'll be able to tell when she's had enough. They say better a week too soon than a day too late but I'd hate to do it too soon.
We got a pup so we'd have it longer than the previous dog. She turned up on doorstep and was unclaimed. She was at least middle aged and the 7 years we had her for wasn't enough. That strategy seems to have backfired!

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »

You will know.

I had 3 cats and a dog.  Cat 1 had kidney problems and simply, due to age, slowed down.  He stopped purring and looked generally tired.  10 mins. after I'd asked the Vet to attend, cat gave a big sigh as though he knew.

Cat 2, my best little girl who was by my side when I was depressed: developed a tumour under her chin which infiltrated upwards.  For a few months when she was feeding she would paw her mouth due to pain.  The Vet gave her pain relief that morning, on getting home she hid in the cupboard.   I knew then that she was ready.  As the pain relief began to work she had a very good dinner!  The Vet came that afternoon.

Cat 3 had a liver tumour.  I noticed it when he ran downstairs, his belly was full.  He lived 17-18 months with it but as it spread his belly got smaller. When he could no longer keep a meal down: there wasn't room: that was it.  He wasn't poorly ill but would have deteriorated fast.  Same Vet..  9 days apart.

Then the dog  ::).  "If it should be that I grow old and weak ......... " helped me make my decisions.  Didn't stop the tears.  Hindsight shows that I did keep the dog about 5 weeks too long but in between sleeping, she was her bright self.   :-\. Not in pain though.

jaypo

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »

Yep, I definitely knew too,on her last day we gave her all her favourite "human" food and lots of cuddles,it's still painful to remember even though it's over 6 years ago  :'(

sheila99

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 08:18:16 PM »

Even when they live to a ripe old age they still don't live long enough  :(

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »

Yep.  As long as they have fun though ?  :-*
Pages: 1 [2]