News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My dog  (Read 3478 times)

sheila99

My dog
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »

My dog was diagnosed with bone cancer. Two years ago today she had her leg amputated and was given 3-6 months to live.
 :ola:
So today we went for a long walk up Kinder Scout, beautiful clear sunny day, lovely to see her bouncing through the heather and splashing through the stream. What a way to celebrate a day I didn't think I'd see.
Now snoring away curled up on my lap, she's still trying to convince me she's a lap dog (she's far too big, she's a collie).

Uptick

Re: My dog
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »

That's wonderful!

:ola:

befuddled

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 09:05:34 AM »

No, Sheila, there's no such thing as too big to be a lap dog and you know it!  Just because you get uncomfortable, your back aches and your legs go numb, you get bored because you cant reach the tv remote and you won't get up when you want to because she looks so peaceful that you don't want to disturb her, but when she does get up you'll be thinking "awww no, don't go yet"..    Anyway, the way she sees it, it's your lap that's too small.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »

:-*. befuddled  :-*  :great:

I've done all the above with cats and the spaniel  ::)

That is such joyous news sheila - she doesn't know she's on borrowed time  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 10:20:54 AM »

Ha ha, you're so right befuddled. And spoiling them when you think they don't have much time left isn't always the best policy...
I wonder if it's an omen, wet and cold the day before and the day after but sunny on her ampuversary? I'm clutching at straws here, the long term survival rate is so low (1in 50).

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »

Good news story,brilliant Sheila   :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 01:15:10 PM »

Half a day at a time!  Every day is a bonus  :-*

My dog had lymphoma, lived 17 months beyond what was hoped: it was her back injury of long standing that caused her to go off her legs.  She was happy until the last 3 weeks - hindsight is a wonderful thing.   She was tired by then, at nearly 14 years old.  I scattered her ashes on what would have been her birthday on a lovely frosty day where she ran after rabbits  :-*

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 05:21:08 PM »

Mine will be lucky to make it to 5 (just before Xmas), unlikely to get anywhere near 14 but I can keep hoping. I dug a hole for the last one, digging is quite cathartic.
I haven't found anything about the length of time before you can consider them cancer free. Is it 5 years as it is for people?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »

I never thought that far ahead.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »

Unless they're young when they get it many won't live for a further 5 years anyway. Perhaps that's why I can't find anything about it.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »

Boxers had a problem with cancer in certain lines a few years ago, weren't living much beyond 4.5 years.  Lymphoma is common in most breeds. Some are more susceptible than others.  Mine had chemotherapy for 17 months after biopsy and diagnosis.  She did well until the final 4-5 weeks when she became very tired after treatment. 

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »

Mine hasn't had chemo. They don't try to cure it now just suppress it and at £1500 a time it gets horribly expensive. As it turned out they wouldn't do it anyway because they hadn't got a biopsy. They'd taken cells before the op and by the time they knew there were no cancer cells in it the leg had gone. It was actually a relief I didn't have to make the decision.
Deciding when to PTS has to be so difficult.

befuddled

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 09:12:05 PM »

So, was she only 2 when she was diagnosed?  That's so young.  We  know when we first bring them home that they'll break our hearts one day, but never expect it to be that soon.

That decision to PTS, i've only had to do it a couple of times but not difficult at all.  I just knew.   All the uncertainty gone, and once i'd decided it was time, it was a relief in a way, knowing i was doing the best i could for them.  You'll know, not by thinking and deciding, but just by feeling it.

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:00 AM »

You're so right befuddled,we KNOW it's going to happen but we still get them.My little cavalier had to be pts but we had it done at home,was one of the worst days of my life,just waiting for the vet to come.
You'll let us know how it goes Sheila?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 09:55:03 AM »

I knew.  4 pets pts in 22 months, here at home: I was knackered.  My criteria was 'no pain' - each had problems, all aged 13 or over.  I still sobbed but the Vets were very good.  1 came to the door 11 days apart when each cat needed to be set free.  I saw the little cat in our lounge, I got up to feed her - she had come to tell me that it was time to let her brother go.  2 nights later it was obvious that I couldn't keep him, he wasn't ill but had a liver tumour and I didn't want a very sickly cat. 

Enjoy every moment.  Without insurance I don't think that DH would have been happy about the Chemo which was £25.00 every 4 weeks.  Plus the appt. fee each time.
Pages: [1] 2