Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Should I give it a go without HRT  (Read 1529 times)

Flan747

Should I give it a go without HRT
« on: November 29, 2020, 07:10:46 AM »

Hi! I’ve posted many times on here about my perimenopause experience so long story short, June 2019 it all began, severe insomnia, anxiety, palpitations, low mood. I have tried patches, tablets, gel , Utrogestron and now currently on Sandrena 4mg and had the mirena could fitted. Each regime unstuck to religiously for the 3 months as advised. Yes I feel better in many ways But I still feel awful everyday. I’m starting to think HRT is making me feel this way But am frightened all the symptoms will come back if I stop ! Would it be worth slowly reducing the Sandrena to see how I get on! My life is miserable each day I wake and just want to get it as good as it can be to get through this awful Menopause. Any suggestions welcomed x

ElkWarning

Re: Should I give it a go without HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »

Well, you're you and I'm me, so I can't really say ... But I was on HRT for nine months and it turned out that it was just treating the symptoms rather than the cause.  18 months into therapy and I feel very differently.  I don't want to die anymore, so that's a plus.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »

Hello ladies.

ElkWarning - can I ask what you mean when you say HRT wasn't treating the cause of your problems and tell us more about how therapy has helped you?

Take care.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »

Flan747 that's something only you can decide but if you stop presumably you can always restart if things get worse? Did they do any investigations before you started hrt? Just wondering if you could have a vitamin/mineral deficiency or thyroid problem. Which symptoms have gone and which are still there? Did the anxiety come with meno or did you have it before? Have you tried a sequi regime in case you have an intolerance to progesterone?

Flan747

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 03:35:41 PM »

Hi Shiela99 yes I had all the blood tests which were all normal and I do take supplements! I had no anxiety before peri! My anxiety and insomnia have definitely got better although not as before I just basically feel unwell everyday it’s even hard to describe but I have an anxious tummy almost all day everyday I have palpitations regularly and generally feel miserable but not depressed if that makes sense! I’ve started changing the way I eat as blood sugars Definately create the surges! What is sequi regime I’m beginning to think I am progeseterone intolerant ??

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:07 PM »

Sequi is where you have oestrogen every day and prog for only 12-14 days. You'll probably have a bleed but you'll know if it's the progesterone that's causing the problem. If you don't have a strong cycle of your own you can use a long cycle, I do 6 weeks so I have fewer days on utrogeston. Anxiety and insomnia were my worst symptoms too, anxiety has gone completely, sleep isn't 100% but it's much better. I found testosterone helped with low mood but they'll only give it to you for low libido. I wasn't depressed just no motivation to do anything. Good idea to review your diet, intolerances and allergies can start at this time too.

Flan747

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 06:00:31 AM »

Ahh right sorry! Yes I’ve done the estrogel and Utrogestron both orally and vaginally and that’s where the moods became the worse! My period was like clockwork before HRT and continued until having the coil! That’s exactly me no motivation! May have to look into testosterone I just didn’t know if I should try and get this right first but it’s been so long now maybe I should give it a go!
Thansk Sheila99 much appreciated