Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Managing COVID Christmas.  (Read 3094 times)

Kathleen

Re: Managing COVID Christmas.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 04:48:27 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Due to COVID I was expecting a visitor free Christmas this year so the possible change of plans has thrown me.

It certainly is a difficult problem for some of us and I will continue to fret about it no doubt!

Thank you for your comments ladies and take care.

K.

Penguin99

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 09:45:49 PM »

We normally just have Christmas at home, me, hubby & our 2 sons, and we love it that way, they live at home with us. But this year I feel my mum & dad will be on their own, my sister, who doesn't live nearby, is going to her sons house even further away and I said to her that I felt bad mum & dad could be on their own. I'm not very close to my parents but I do feel bad if their on their own. My hubby has been shielding but he hasn't had his immunotherapy for a while now so hopefully shouldn't be as vulnerable,  mum has cancer. I work but tbh don't mix with anyone, I'm on my own dept and have my breaks separately,  my hubbys at home, 1 son working from home & my other son going to work and mixing with people. I really don't know what to do as my son has to work with others. I hate all this >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 09:53:43 PM »

Speak to your parents? They may be absolutely fine on their own.  Don't assume ;-)

Penguin99

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 10:01:58 PM »

I know, they are on their own all the time so I thought it might just seem like another day to them. I'm speaking to mum on Wednesday so will talk to her about it. We are quite happy just the 4 of us but indo feel bad if they are hoping for an invite, they would never ask. They have been to mums sister's before and vice versa so maybe thats what they doing.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 10:10:34 AM »

Open the conversation with something along the lines of "How do you feel about C.mas this year, with the risk of 'flu and C-19, have you any plans?  "  ;). no good everyone thinking the others will pose the question  ::)

loonarider

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 02:00:59 AM »

Hello ladies.

Can I ask how you all plan to manage family gatherings at Christmas?

Our daughter, her partner and our son will be staying with us over the Christmas period and I am worried about how we will all stay safe. For example do we distance within the home constantly, use separate towels, hand sanitise all the time and keep opening the windows for ventilation?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Take care everyone.

K.

I have told my family that regrettably Christmas will have to wait. I'd rather see them alive and well next year to be honest.

Let's face it, Christmas could potentially be one big superspreader event. Why risk it for a few days? We've come this far, vaccines are on the horizon, we can keep going I think ;)

Jeepers

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 06:57:31 AM »

Christmas is cancelled for me.  My eldest daughter has to work Christmas week, as she is an essential worker,  and we were going to do our Christmas the Saturday before.  Now we cant because it doesn't fall within the 5 days. I cant even see her outdoors as she is in a tier 3.  We were not going to have a big thing, just me and my partner, my mum and my two girls.

2020, the gift that keeps on giving

Jeepers xx

Sparrow

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 07:17:53 AM »

Oh that's a shame Jeepers.

You will have to have a big party when this is all over.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »

Hello ladies.

Can I ask how you all plan to manage family gatherings at Christmas?

Our daughter, her partner and our son will be staying with us over the Christmas period and I am worried about how we will all stay safe. For example do we distance within the home constantly, use separate towels, hand sanitise all the time and keep opening the windows for ventilation?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Take care everyone.

K.

Hi Kathleen

Our grown-up children ( + one spouse) in 20's and 30's are all very concerned that they keep us safe especially as husband is over 70 ( though fit and well). Rather than all come down on 23rd - which I agree is an absurd idea - they are coming down in stages. We are lucky that we have separate self-contained accommodation so we will still be three households.

So one son is coming down on 11th (from Tier 3 area) and will isolate in the accommodation and work from home there until Xmas. Another son has had Covid and is "bursting with antibodies" ( to quote a well-known politican!). I paid for them to have the antibody test -  and is coming down on 18th or 19th but should be no risk to us. Another offspring and spouse are coming on 23rd and will have isolated since 15th, will isolate in the accommodation (separate from other son!) and will hopefully be OK by 25th. They thought they had had it - ill in early April when friends etc had it but are negative for antibodies. They will all stay until past new year as once they are here and have isolated and are in our bubble there is nor risk.

I think 10 days is probably sufficient isolation. They may also pay for the antigen test I think.

To me that is far more sensible than all turning up on 23rd and having a free for all.

As it is, even though I am in a support bubble with a close elderly relative living on their own, because that person is seeing other family members over the 5 days, me and my family won't be able to meet up with them indoors, because that would involve more mixing outside the three ( even though support bubbles are one).

It's all very complicated but you have to do what's right and safe for your own family - we are just fortunate to have space to keep safe and still enjoy Christmas together.

Jeepers I don't see why you cannot do what you planned to do on the day that is outside the 5 days, given the circumstances, and if you are then not getting together on the five days? It's a question of risk. I wonder if there is also guidance on this? Lots of questions have been asked at various points on the media so I bet this one has been answered?

Hurdity x

Pages: 1 [2]