Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie to HRT  (Read 1056 times)

Unicorn

Newbie to HRT
« on: November 25, 2020, 10:57:52 AM »

Hi there   :D I'm new here and just a note to say thank you all.... you have made me feel less bonkers  :D.

Please could I ask some advice? I'm 46, nearly 47 and have had intermittent symptoms for about 2 years now, maybe 3 of anxiety, palpitations, dry mouth etc. etc. Which have come and gone.  But for the last 3 months or so, the anxiety, palpitations, racing heart and facial flushing has got worse, in fact every day.  I started Evoral Sequi patches 8 days ago (I am also taking Sertraline 50mg and other Vitamins to try and help) but I still have shaking, racing heart and awful anxiety.  Will the patches work? And how long should they take to work? I'm desperate to feel better and scared they wont work xxx any advice would be very appreciated

Jane50

Re: Newbie to HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »

Hi unicorn,

Welcome to the mad house!  ;D

Sorry, I mean welcome to the forum. ::)

I started on evorel sequi and I found they started working within a couple of weeks. Everyone is different though, with different hormone levels, so the general guide is to give a regime at least 3 months.

My GP prescribed me some anti anxiety meds which helped until the HRT kicked in so maybe that's something you could consider in the short term?

So much knowledge and support on here, it's really reassuring to know we're not alone on this scary journey. I'm sure lots of others will be along to welcome you 🙂

Unicorn

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »

Awww, Jane, thank you! I certainly will consider that 😁 it's just I'm so scared, especially with Christmas coming up etc.... I had the same thing last Christmas too and tried Fluoxetine but a lady at my Surgery suggested that I could be perimenopausal, although I still have quite regular periods.   I think the Fluoxetine made things 20 times worse so came off them... thank you xxxxx

Paz23

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 09:52:43 AM »

Hi there.
I took fluoxetine in the past and hated it - it’s put me off anti depressants/anxiety drugs altogether.
The current research and NICE guidelines say that women who are perimenopausal or menopausal should be given HRT to treat their symptoms and not anti depressants.
If the mental health problems are caused by diminishing hormones then that’s what should be addressed - treating the cause will help the symptoms. It is not the same as non sex hormone depression.
I went to the dr with a massive list of symptoms and dr wanted to put me on antidepressants - I said no and now on HRT feeling much more like myself. I just don’t get why drs want to treat the symptoms without sorting out the cause, isn’t that just a waste of time?
When all my symptoms started I was having periods, although I think that was my body’s last ditch attempt at some sort of fertility which had been a problem for me (needed fertility treatment).
I use gel which can be a bit annoying to do every morning but it means I can change my dose if I find my symptoms are still showing their ugly heads! You could ask to swap if you don’t think the patch is working. Some of my symptoms went within 2 weeks of using HRT but others are taking longer - I think the rule of thumb is to give anything 3 months before you can judge if something works or not, although I am rather impatient and already upped my dose after 1 month!
Have a read around - I’ve learnt such a lot from reading replies to other people’s posts, there more of us that know these things the more we can help/guide each other.
It can be really scary, I thought I was going to die until my mum pointed out what it could be and that she was my age (40). I still do think like that some days but I’m feeling much better having started HRT.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »

Some symptoms take longer than others. Flushes should go in a week or two but my anxiety and insomnia took 3 months.