Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Does this sound like an anxiety attack?  (Read 1729 times)

Jeepers

Does this sound like an anxiety attack?
« on: November 15, 2020, 09:33:35 PM »

Hi

So, over the last few days I have been feeling like my heart was fluttering for hours.. I was super aware of my heartbeat, although my Fitbit said between 55 & 65 whenever I looked ( that’s normal for me).

I had it yesterday morning, then it went away on the afternoon, only to come back after my dinner.  I kept trying to ignore it, but then I started shaking and feeling horrible. The best way I can describe it was like when I’m about to get in a plane ( I’m super scared of flying).  I didn’t know what to do with myself, so I downed a glass of red wine... then it did slowly subside.

I’m worried it’s something sinister, and that it’s going to come back again.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  The day before I was feeling quite relaxed, for me anyway, so I don’t know what triggered it

Thanks

Jeepers xx

Sparrow

Re: Does this sound like an anxiety attack?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 10:10:26 PM »

Does sound like a panic attack.

I would suggest that you speak to your GP.  Some medication, if only for a short time may head it off.

Stress tends to build up over time then kick you up the arse.   Happened to me a few years ago.  Had an almost constant anxiety attack over several day.  Didn't sleep for 3 nights on the trot as each time I dropped of, a surge would wake me.

Saw an emergency doctor at the Cottage hospital midnight on the 4th night.  Total mess.

Sort it now and it will be easier to treat. I wish I had.

Take care of yourself and be a bit selfish for a while.  Your recent stresses were bound to have had an effect.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:03:14 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 09:20:26 AM »

If you have had worries [which you have had], if you aren't eating enough, if your hormones are dipping ........... do speak to your GP/Practice Nurse as suggested.   :foryou:

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »

Hello Jeepers

You've had great advice from Shadyglade but I thought I would add that my anxious /panicky feelings often begin after feeling calm and relaxed. I wonder if these are mood changes that are part of the menopause. I know lots of women report instant  mood changes but in my experience moods can be stable for while and then suddenly flip into something different, ie reasonably calm for a few days then suddenly anxious.

I understand that you have been stressed lately but if you were feeling more relaxed beforehand then perhaps hormones are playing a part in this.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Wishing you well.

K.

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »

Thank you all for your replies, it really does help to not feel so alone.

Getting to talk to a nurse\gp is impossible where I live, it just won’t happen.  My daughters friend was given an appointment for next March 😟

I have a mh component to my bupa membership, so I’ll look at that.

I think I e said before that I’m too scared to take the sertraline I have been given, but I do have a few diazepams in the drawer. Do you think it would be okay to use them if it happens again?  ( one I mean)

It becomes a vicious circle, as I’m anxious about having another anxiety attack. 

Recently, I have stopped using the androfemme I was on, and slightly reduced the oestrogel. That’s because I have been experiencing really sore breasts and muscle and bone pain

It’s so hard to know what to do for the best?

Thank you all again

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 06:41:15 PM »

What U scared about?  Sertraline gives a more even regular dose - my friend uses it with success.  'valium' is OK for occasional use.  I have a 1-5 scoring system on my calendar, if I get to 4/5 I have to take something.  Not required for nearly 2 years apart from once this year.  Can't even remember what 4!

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 06:51:44 PM »

I'm scared that the initial two weeks where it can get worse will tip me over the edge

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »

Oh I've been there too.  Have you told your GP about this worry? 

I have used rescue remedy mouth spray with success, in that once I'd used it I got on, never allowing myself to think 'will it/not' work ;-)

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:45 PM »

Hi jeepers, I suffer generalised anxiety and so spoke to GP who prescribed Prozac 20mg which I have never tried. I was reluctant to try them to be honest. I am on a break from my HRT at the moment as have been having lots of stomach issues.

Three days in on the Prozac I had the most awful strange "do" last night, thought was having a heart attack! I got indigestion pain (which I do get if I eat the wrong things so know what that is and am on Omeprazole for that) and then tingles all through my body up to arms and neck, had 2 panic poos, felt really sick, jittery, couldn't stop blowing my nose and yawning! Walked round the house trying to stay calm!

I have some Jan De Vries Emergency flower essence so took three lots of that along with some Gaviscon and after a couple of hours went to bed. I managed to sleep all night and still felt a bit jittery this morning. So I have decided to stop taking the Prozac, as I am sure it was a panic attack which I have never had before.

I am not too bad today, just feel a bit tired, but can't cope with those side effects thank very much! They also made me feel dizzy and spaced out! Am sure they are helpful for some people, but am not willing to risk feeling so strange again.

I hope you get some help with your issues and I understand its awful when the anxiety grabs you unawares :'(

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 06:17:01 PM »

Prozac gave me  :cuss: :argue: