Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Wind power  (Read 1357 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Wind power
« on: December 14, 2020, 03:13:50 PM »

Supposed to be environmentally friendly?

Those ghastly power wind turbines: made in Germany from plastic on a concrete base.  Cannot be recycled or removed once set into the ground.  Transported across Europe to various parts of the UK.

Notes by the angling fraternity: two Companies have devastated areas of ancient peat bogs.  Trees have been felled which allows run off to wash away peat bogs ..... in order to build roads on which to drag the wind turbines prior to erection. 

Some birds have been killed by these turbines across the Wash and it is thought that bats are affected by the whining sounds.  I know of 1 family in the Fens that, 11 years ago, had to move house into rented property, due to the low grade hum which kept them awake at night.  They were unable to sell their property which is now deteriorating.  The turbine company refuses to believe their complaints. 

When I get the article to hand I will be able to determine how many 100s, trees and peat bog acreage that have been destroyed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wind power
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »

From 'trout and salmon' - Wind Farm in Co Conegal has caused a major peat bog landslip into the Foyle river system.  182 acres of forest has been felled, causing slippage into the Mournebeg River.  It is one of the latest pollution events in Northern Island's History .  The rivers are within a Special Area of Conservation. 

In 2003 Co Calway had a bog slide which dislodged 450,000 tons of peat causing dramatic fish kill and pollution in the rivers. 

Who will take responsibility?