Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New here, worried about short cycles  (Read 775 times)

Seatea

• First Flush
New here, worried about short cycles
« on: November 16, 2020, 11:47:03 PM »

Hi friends,
I'm new here and this is my first post. You all have such great insights.   :)
I am 47 and have been in peri for a few years.  Hot flashes at night, mood swings, weight gain, all the fun stuff.
For the past few years my cycles have shortened, to an average of maybe 25 days.
But some months, it's only 15/16 days.  I've been keeping track, and this year I've had about 4 of those. 

I thought cycles would spread out more if not ovulating, less periods not MORE.  :-\
I went to my new gyno, and she said she wanted to do a uterine biopsy to rule out something worrisome. 
Which of course made me WORRY.  I had one in 2017 for a similar bout of weird periods and it was fine but REALLY hurt.

Side note, I did have breast cancer two years ago, but it was stage zero (DCIS) and have been told there would be no correlation if something else came up.  But even going to the doctor has me on edge.

Did anyone experience short cycles?  I'm not spotting and the flow is normal.

Thank you!
SeaTea

Gnatty

Re: New here, worried about short cycles
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:17:21 AM »

Morning Seatea,

It is very common for cycles to become shorter! Our cycles can do all sorts of weird things. Doctors often recommend the Mirena coil for troublesome periods. I personally didn't get on with it but there are thousands of women who love it. My frequent heavy periods were one of the driving factors that led me to starting HRT especially when like you I had the odd one that was even less than my usual three weeks. I too have had a uterine biopsy, I think its a belt and braces approach - once you have seen  a gynae they like to be thorough! It sounds like you are getting all the other symptoms too of perimenopause - all indicators that it is hormonal.