Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Dry Mouth  (Read 1506 times)

Lynda07

Dry Mouth
« on: November 15, 2020, 09:38:24 AM »

Hi ladies

Do any of you suffer from a dry mouth? I have started to get it a lot and it actually wakes me quite a few times in the night occasionally, a really parched feeling. I often have like a salty taste in my mouth too and occasionally my tongue looks coated. I haven't really changed anything and am not on any medication. I know the obvious thing might be dehydration but I feel I drink quite a lot - or maybe I simply don't drink enough, something I'm going to address but I'm not drinking any less that I always have.

Only a minor thing I know but for some reason it's really raising my health anxiety as I seem to just have one thing after the other just lately. My gut feeling is it's part of the post nasal drip I constantly suffer from.

Thanks

Lynda

Wrensong

Re: Dry Mouth
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »

Hi Lynda

yes, I have dry mouth & it can just be another manifestation of the systemic dryness that comes with menopause.  If it wakes you at night do you think you could be sleeping with your mouth open (or snoring  :o?!)  I keep a covered glass of water on the bedside table & swill it round my mouth before swallowing when awake in the night. 

If your tongue is coated, natural yoghurt can help discourage oral thrush from taking hold & keep a better balance of healthy flora in the mouth, though may make post nasal drip worse if your immune system is very sensitive.  A mouthwash used now & then might help clear the tongue if you don't do that already.  Not used every day though, as it can kill off the normal flora.  Do continue to keep well hydrated.  Plain water especially.

If the dryness really troubles you & nothing improves it, maybe think about asking your GP whether it could be due to Sjogren's.  Especially if you have very dry eyes, vagina, skin as well.  Though please don't worry about that suggestion as systemic dryness can also just be due to declining hormone levels. 

Testosterone can help with dryness, but as you say you are not on medication I take it that includes HRT.
Wx

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 01:00:48 PM »

Thank you Teresa and Wrensong for your replies. I really apprciate it.

I will ask in the chemist for the lozenges.

Wrensong, I do think I am sleeping with my mouth open yes. I thought I always had but now I'm not so sure.

I'd not thought of natural yoghurt, thanks for that and I am also drinking more water today.

No, I'm  not on HRT. Luckily I don't have dry eyes or skin etc either.

I feel like it's such a minor thing but for some reason I'm letting it worry me so thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Lynda

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 01:37:45 PM »

If you are sleeping with your mouth open that's probably all it is.  Even if you've always done that, your mouth may be drier due to menopause so that's perhaps why you are noticing it more.  Great that you don't have dryness elsewhere, makes it seem unlikely to be Sjogren's.  I hope you find it improves.  :)

Lynda07

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 05:13:24 PM »

Thanks Teresa I have found them on line.
And thanks for that too Wrensong.