Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: City Road Charges for vehicles  (Read 2707 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
City Road Charges for vehicles
« on: February 27, 2023, 05:01:55 PM »

I think that the Cities are cutting off noses to spite the visitors!  London and now Cambridge, threatening to charge (fine) drivers dressed up as 'congestion charges'.  Certainly DH and I will be avoiding any towns that a) won't accept money/cards at their parking areas and b) any that fine visitors for wanting to spend monies in the area.

Cambridge residents are already marching, if I lived nearer!!  What happens to the fines - they ought to go towards mending the road surfaces!

£50 per lorry delivering into Cambridge ..... at a time when small businesses don't need any more hassle!  People will move to on-line shopping.  £10.00 for a van. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:12:00 PM by CLKD »

getting_old

Re: City Road Charges for vehicles
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 06:58:00 PM »

Agree. City centres are already dying so extra charges will just deter more potential customers, and if deliveries cost more then prices of goods will increase and small businesses won't stand a chance  :'(

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 07:52:55 PM »

You wouldn't believe what it costs my OH for his work vans going into London but we have no choice,yet again,let's make money out of drivers  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 08:21:14 PM »

It's time a Barrister took this up!  It's a tax.  It's because 'they' want us to drive electric vehicles or buy what 'they' consider to be suitable for inner city areas  >:(.  One guy was telling the News that he drives out of Cambridge for work, it costs a fiver every day to get home.   :(

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 07:49:45 AM »

What about lorries and the like,they will never be electric,they say these electric cars will end up being scrapped,remember when the government told everyone they should go diesel? Then after everyone did it,the government then said.....oops,no,we made a mistake and everyone was stuck with diesel cars.As if drivers aren't taxed enough,now we're getting taxed for driving through cities  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 09:32:51 AM »

Most of the components in electric cars should be recyclable.  I wonder whether those drivers will need to pay a 'fine'/charge? 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 08:15:31 AM »

Apparently to get into London, 1 buys a classic car  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 10:28:39 AM »

Thank goodness my OH doesn't do business there anymore as we used to do a lot of work in London and have the big Mercedes vans,would've cost us a fortune to do jobs there now 😵‍💫

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 12:06:59 PM »

It must be putting small businesses at risk of bankruptcy ? 

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 12:29:26 PM »

It definitely will clkd,deliveries etc who have to pay the ulez charge,will now charge these small businesses accordingly