Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Chance to let off steam at GP  (Read 1386 times)

Katejo

Chance to let off steam at GP
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »

Yesterday I had a GP phone call which I hadn't expected because I was due one today. Anyway we got the discussion of my blood test results and action needed out of the way yesterday.

I therefore didn't expect another call today but did get one. I took the opportunity to express my current frustration about certain aspects of the service and this GP was much more receptive than the one who rang me in August. I made the following points and she appeared to agree with me.

1. That i didn't like this lack of access to face to face appointments. Phone appointments are far less effective when you can't read body language/facial expression (or get a physical examination if needed).

2. My  frustration at the practice's refusal to let patients see any test results before the phone call with the GP. I have had to wait 3 weeks (on 2 separate occasions) this year. The GP said that I should have had access to allow me to look at them before the phone call  and so be more prepared for the discussion.  I explained that I had asked for them but had been refused (on the grounds that we are supposedly not able to understand them without explanation). She has recommended that I make a complaint to the practice manager. She thought that I could see test results on the GP app but I can't access mine at all.

3. Finally I commented on how patients (in general across the whole country) are going to miss important diagnoses due to all the attention and time going to Covid and other patients being unable to see a doctor/get tests.

I had wanted to say all of that to the GP in August but he was unsympathetic, told me I had taken too much of his time and cut me short.

At least I got the chance today to make my views clear.  :) Think I will write a proper printed letter to the manager rather than email. If I email, I can't make it confidential and I don't trust the reception staff  to pass it on.

Sparrow

Re: Chance to let off steam at GP
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »

Well done you. 👍

That needed to be said.  Everything has become far to covid focused.

It will be interesting to see if your surgery makes any changes. 🤞

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »

I think it’s good to let off steam and I agree with what you say.
I’m in a quandary after what happened to my mother. She died in august and had been on palliative care it’s a long story but basically on the day she died she became very distressed and then GP refused to come out to her.  He didn’t have the end of life drugs and just faxed a script to the chemist that was closed!
No compassion at all.
I have complained and they have apologised and said lessons will be learnt. 
I feel angry yet also feel no point in taking it further.

Well done for speaking up !

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 08:10:37 AM »

Guardian headline today.

'GP services to be cut to allow millions to receive Covid vaccine'

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:00:49 AM »

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 04:43:50 PM »

Guardian headline today.

'GP services to be cut to allow millions to receive Covid vaccine'
Yes have just seen it and thought of my discussion here straight away.  :'(

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »

Well done Katejo.  I agree with you on all 3 points.

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »

Hi Groundhog, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your Mum.  It shouldn't have been that way & must have been very distressing for you.  If their actions have not given you closure & raising the issue again would not distress you more than leaving things as they are, I would contact the surgery again & talk to the practice manager about what else can be done that would help you feel the failures had been addressed more satisfactorily.

I remember this is not the first time you have been badly failed by the system, so appreciate there may be too much emotional baggage to want to pursue things.  :hug:

Wx