Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anti depressants and terrible hip pain  (Read 1056 times)

PollittFCII

Anti depressants and terrible hip pain
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »

Hi ladies, I’m 53 and I think I’m going through the menopause. I have mood swings and I’m irritable a lot of the time. I have terrible pains in my hips. So bad I can hardly get up the stairs. It’s waking me up at night. I reported this to my GP she suggested Sertraline an antidepressant for the mood swings. Has anyone got an experience of this drug for treating the symptoms of menopause? And does anyone else have terrible hip pain? Thanks in advance

Dorothy

Re: Anti depressants and terrible hip pain
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 02:19:32 PM »

My hip pain is keeping me awake at night - I was referred to a rheumatologist about 18 months ago, finally saw him at the end of December and have had 2 phone consultations since (another one due next week) but so far, have had no real help at all.  Suggest you go to your GP re the pain as it may be some kind of arthritis, but don't expect to get anywhere very fast!

PollittFCII

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 02:25:04 PM »

Hi Dorothy thanks for your reply. My GP tells me the hip pain is nothing to do with the menopause. She’s told me I’ve got long covid!

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »

Seriously?  Did the pain start just after?  Has she sent you for any x-rays or tests?  Even if the pain started immediately after a confirmed Covid diagnosis, it seems very slack just to assume it's cause and effect.

PollittFCII

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 02:34:27 PM »

I have other symptoms too, exhausted all the time, problems with my breathing. To my knowledge I’ve not had covid. No she’s not sent me for X-rays on hips, just a chest X-ray and blood tests. It’s a joke.

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »

Keep pushing.  When you reach menopause, GPs are too prone to assume 'fussy female' and write you off.

I've been diagnosed with 'normal levels for my age' of osteoarthritis - my OH often has to lift me to my feet as I've stiffened up so much that I'm completely immobilised...and I don't know any other 45-year-old who suffers this much from stiffness and pain without having something wrong with them beyond 'normal wear and tear'.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so keep hassling until you get somewhere.

It's especially slapdash to diagnose you with 'long Covid' when she doesn't even know you've HAD Covid at all!!!  It might be worthwhile ringing the Versus Arthritis helpline - I rang them and they've been really helpful and suggested a 'plan of campaign' going forward.

PollittFCII

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 04:35:20 PM »

Yes I agree. Our GP is like Fort Knox you can’t see a doctor for love nor money, I feel let down badly, thanks for replying to me and for your help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »

Have you had hospital treatment for positive C-19 Poll?  I would change my GP as if that is her suspicion she must refer you to the appropriate trials, there are several Doctors in the UK doing studies on possible long-covid etc.. 

As oestrogen levels drop muscles maybe come lax = aches and pains: frozen shoulder, neck pains, hip and pelvic pains etc.; not many GPs are aware of the distressing effects that a lack of oestrogen might cause.  Have you had a pelvis and hip X-ray or scan?  Hip pain is felt in the groin, back pain over what we call 'the hips'.  Sciatica stems from the nerve root in the buttock. 

A few years ago I would wake with intense pain deep in the centre of the buttock over the 'hip', so bad that I would cry out silently.  It took 8 months to realise that it was being caused by a constant leaning over antique cabinets to look at jewellery  ::).

Your GP is hedging by the sound of it.  At the very least she could have referred you to a physiotherapist as it's easy to get into bad habits.  Also do check your seating positions as well as foot wear ;-).  Which blood tests were you sent for?  Chest X-ray is probably due to breathing problems?

The Change - I get breathless occasionally.  It used to happen when I was due a period I would feel really bloated and couldn't draw a proper breath, it happens these days when I take exercise.  Crashing fatigue is 'common'.  As are aches and pains, vaginal atrophy and bladder problems.

Browse round. Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Ask for a referral to a menopause clinic too ;-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »

If your GP has actually mentioned long-covid he/she should be reported.

The medication should ease the mood swings - I would get rages premenstrually!  We have threads about that too .