Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
twitter facebook instagram blogger

Author Topic: New to anxiety meds, help!  (Read 284 times)

Julia Dizzy

New to anxiety meds, help!
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »

Hi, I have been on Atenolol 25mg for over 20 years, originally for anxiety, as have not been diagnosed with high blood pressure as such. I am still having problems even more so now with generalised anxiety. Am on HRT too.(Estradot patches and oral Utrogestan conti, age 64)

Spoke to GP on Friday who suggested I try 40mg Propranalol instead of Atenolol and gave me 20mg Prozac as well.

I have not started this new regime yet. Can you just stop Atenolol one day and start the Propranalol the next? She said just take the Prop whenever I needed it, yet do I not just take one a day anyway??

I thought I might try the Prop first on its own just in case of any side effects, as if I start them both together I wouldn't know which one caused any problems?

Any advice or comments on either of these meds, how have you found them etc etc? I really don't want to be zombified or hooked! I will speak to pharmacist tomorrow anyway as well when I go to pick stuff up.

Thanks

CLKD

Re: New to anxiety meds, help!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »

Hi!  I would ring my pharmacist for advice.  Some meds need tapering off, others can overlap without problems.

I was prescribed 80mg Propranolol 3 times a day in 2002 - took that for 3 weeks then it was dropped to 40mg at night for ages: then I took 20mg at night and stopped it in March during lockdown.  It helped ease anxiety surges 4 me.  Not hooked at all.  No symptoms once I stopped.

Taking it as necessary seems to be an odd way of taking something unless it's to swallow if anxiety levels are high? 
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!