Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New to anxiety meds, help!  (Read 1272 times)

Julia Dizzy

New to anxiety meds, help!
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »

Hi, I have been on Atenolol 25mg for over 20 years, originally for anxiety, as have not been diagnosed with high blood pressure as such. I am still having problems even more so now with generalised anxiety. Am on HRT too.(Estradot patches and oral Utrogestan conti, age 64)

Spoke to GP on Friday who suggested I try 40mg Propranalol instead of Atenolol and gave me 20mg Prozac as well.

I have not started this new regime yet. Can you just stop Atenolol one day and start the Propranalol the next? She said just take the Prop whenever I needed it, yet do I not just take one a day anyway??

I thought I might try the Prop first on its own just in case of any side effects, as if I start them both together I wouldn't know which one caused any problems?

Any advice or comments on either of these meds, how have you found them etc etc? I really don't want to be zombified or hooked! I will speak to pharmacist tomorrow anyway as well when I go to pick stuff up.

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to anxiety meds, help!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »

Hi!  I would ring my pharmacist for advice.  Some meds need tapering off, others can overlap without problems.

I was prescribed 80mg Propranolol 3 times a day in 2002 - took that for 3 weeks then it was dropped to 40mg at night for ages: then I took 20mg at night and stopped it in March during lockdown.  It helped ease anxiety surges 4 me.  Not hooked at all.  No symptoms once I stopped.

Taking it as necessary seems to be an odd way of taking something unless it's to swallow if anxiety levels are high?