Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Mental health crisis  (Read 12557 times)

racjen

Re: Mental health crisis
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2020, 05:01:44 PM »

Just wanted to bring people up to date: I'm still in hospital, been on Quetiapine 50mg morning and evening,  Duloxetine increased to 60mg for about 5 days and I'm definitely feeling better - both anxiety and depression are greatly reduced. Only real side effects are nausea, which is gradually decreasing, constipation, and disturbed sleep. But if I get my life back I'm willing to put up with quite a lot physically. I suppose my dilemma is - I still think my problems are mainly hormonal, but there doesn't seem to be a hormonal solution. So if this drug regime works do I just stick with it and give up on looking for anything else? I have an expensive appointment booked with Louise Newsom's clinic on Nov 2nd, but I'm wondering now whether there's any point.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »

I would keep the appt..  It's covering all angles and if you take details of your regime and how it helps etc., it is something to discuss.  It also allows Dr Newson to keep up to date as to how difficult mental health can be during The Change? 

So pleased that you are gaining confidence albeit slowly.  Glad that the nausea is decreasing, that is my largest problem with new medication  :'(.  Constipation can be eased with medication - I find that if I stop my medication for 24 hours, it allows my bowel to let go.  It maybe that once the nausea goes your whole digestive tract will relax and begin to work properly.

You have been through a lot in recent years, I'm not surprised that your sleep is disturbed.   :foryou:

racjen

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »

I think my sleep is disturbed because of the Duloxetine - very common side effect of ADs. I'm still not convinced about keeping the appointment - £275 is a lot to spend unless I really feel I'm going to get something out of it, and now that I'm gradually (fingers crossed0 approaching some kind of stability I'd be unwilling to rock the boat with any other changes.

Having said that, I've had a break from progesterone while all this has been going on, because I knew it'd make me even more depressed and that would then make it hard to tell if the ADs were working. So I'll have to see what happens when I go back on it; if it's still as problematic as ever I'll keep the appointment.

I'm going for an overnight home visit today, then back here but to the less acute section of the hospital for another week, then hopefully home. Pleased and terrified at the same time....

CLKD

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2020, 10:02:27 AM »

Of course it's scary.  It's progress.  If you don't want the appt. do let them know in good time so that they are able to reallocate it.  Also, even if changes are suggested you can consider rather than take them.  If you know that progesterone is some of the mental health issues, it might be worth getting advice about that aspect?

Do you have 2 pack your case, go home then repack  ::).  I'm sure you will be fine.  Even if you don't sleep you will be in your own bed  :foryou:

CLKD

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2020, 09:02:50 PM »

How did your home visit go, was it as scary as you thought it might be ?

racjen

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2020, 09:10:47 AM »

Yeah, that's how much Louise Newson's clinic costs, even by phone or video call. It's money I really can't afford to waste (I'm on benefits) and given that I've tried pretty much all possible progesterone options (various synthetics, utrogestan, mirena, provera) and now being recommended to have a hysterectomy, I'm really not sure there's going to be much else they can suggest. I guess what I need to do is see how it goes with provera now that I'm on these meds (I've taken a break while in hospital so the progesterone effect doesn't cloud the general picture) and then decide. Finally being discharged on Weds, then I'll be back home on my own - feeling a bit wobbly about it, but after 5 weeks in various hospitals I'll be glad to have a bit of privacy and independence back x.

CLKD

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »

Well done!  The Hospital will be there should you require it.  Did U cope with your over-nighter?

racjen

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2020, 08:05:33 AM »

Yes, I was a bit wobbly but fine thanks. I'm out again at the moment but going back tonight. Then full discharge tomorrow. YEsterday my daughter and partner came over and we all went on the bus to our nearest seaside town, Teignmouth, which is only 20 mins away. Really nice as I haven't been out properly for months. And yes, I'll have a community care worker to make sure I'm OK at home.

CLKD

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »

Little steps. Haven't been to Teignmouth since I was 9 ........

CLKD

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2020, 08:29:12 AM »

How R U coping?

racjen

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »

All going well thanks - the meds are continuing to help, and despite the current news of more lockdown I'm feeling OK. The only cloud on the horizon is that I haven't reintroduced progesterone yet - have been having an extended break to get this sorted first. But I really need to start again now, hoping it won't derail things.....x

CLKD

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2020, 08:02:48 PM »

I'm so pleased .......... do you have a plan if the progesterone upsets your balance?

racjen

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2020, 06:43:39 AM »

Well I was offered a hysterectomy last year - that's there as my last ditch solution, but of course with the Covid resurge it's not going to be possible anytime soon anyway. I really don't know other than that - just crossing my fingers at the moment x

CLKD

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »

Morning.  Do not assume that due to C-19 that surgery isn't going ahead.  There are hospitals that are not involved with cases it might be worth while asking for an update on the situation?  I would ring the secretary to the Consultant you talked with and mayB get onto a waiting list, if progesterone does't upset you then cancel your name on the List.  ;-) It's been a long haul getting to where you are now.

Perinowpost

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2020, 11:05:53 AM »

I have a friend who’s having a hysterectomy today Racjen. She was only scheduled in June x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]